HRM significantly higher than MFP?!

Options
I wear a Polar HRM and I recently got it back from repairs (they just replaced my transmitter band), I wear it when I walk my dog. Last time I was walking up ad down hilly streets for 40min and Polar said I burnt 250 while MFP says I burnt only 126 - HUGE difference! Which do I believe?? Polar seems unrealistic although it should be more accurate. My details are:
I'm 18, 5"2, 134lbs :noway:

Shed some light please! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wear a Polar HRM and I recently got it back from repairs (they just replaced my transmitter band), I wear it when I walk my dog. Last time I was walking up ad down hilly streets for 40min and Polar said I burnt 250 while MFP says I burnt only 126 - HUGE difference! Which do I believe?? Polar seems unrealistic although it should be more accurate. My details are:
    I'm 18, 5"2, 134lbs :noway:

Shed some light please! :flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is going to be more accurate unless you're on some medication that affects your heart rate.

MFP uses a very rough estimate that doesn't account for hills or any type of incline.
  • fondawanda
    fondawanda Posts: 11
    Options
    I am having opposite problem. When I enter Tao-bo(kick-boxing) for 30 minutes it tells me I burned 356. My HRM says I burned 248. Someone recently gave me this and they had sent it off for repair not long before. Could it be wrong? Should I think about just uying a new one?
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I would split the diffrence in the numbers, and then buy a new one, I just orderd mine from amazon.com for 35.00. and they are sellling one on www.WOOT.com for 20.00. I was going to get it there, but we had a gift card for amazon and so it made it cheaper to go with them.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    The Polar is the correct one. MFP is just estimates- I don't go buy MFP or exercise machines just my HRm that I truely love
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would split the diffrence in the numbers, and then buy a new one, I just orderd mine from amazon.com for 35.00. and they are sellling one on www.WOOT.com for 20.00. I was going to get it there, but we had a gift card for amazon and so it made it cheaper to go with them.

LOVE WOOT!!!
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Your HRM would account for your intensity level more than MFP does. Intensity makes a big difference in calories burned, with that said not all HRM are exactly correct either. Common sense needs to be used sometimes. There are tables on the internet that you can lookup that are very detailed and tell you how many calories you burn per minute for a given exercise, this helps to figure out how accurate you HRM is. If may consistantly be 15% too high or too low, either of which could mess up your daily caloric intake.
  • Lillybelle1889
    Lillybelle1889 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I have never heard of woot before. I have been looking for a hrm but could not afford $80 a piece when i need two. I dont need anything fancy so went to woot and got two of them. Hopefully they will work out ok.
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    It should be fine. Woot is where I bought my HRM a while back. Pretty much the same as this one with a different name painted on it. I haven't had any problems with it.

Woot is a great site, I check it daily just to see what they have. I have only bought two things, but it is fun to see what they are offering. Some days it is a bag of junk and you have no idea what is in the bag and they sell out of the things!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know this is getting off topic, but I'll advertise one more site....1saleaday.com. Woots better, but 1saleaday will come up with decent stuff, too.

And now back to our program.....