I walk but need more exercise...305 lb starting out

Options
13»

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Good for you for getting started! Yayy. I'm proud of you. :)

I have a lot of pain issues myself and I think that my problem was that I'd get into exercise too hard and too fast and then get too sore and burnt out! I finally decided to just take a short, slow, easy as possible walk as a mood lifter. Eventually I got to where I could walk farther distances but I still walked at a pace I enjoyed. I started all of this on Christmas Eve last year and I've lost 16lbs. I can now pick up the speed a bit but I pay for it later in pain so I go more for distance. I'm now up to 4-7 miles per day! I NEVER thought I'd be walking that far. I'm stronger, healthier and my clothes fit better. Best of all I have less pain than before. Even my knees quit hurting and I was sure that walking would make them worse.
    Make sure you have good quality shoes and good walking socks so you don't get blisters or callouses. If you do, they don't fit right. Do not wear cotton because it holds moisture and will chafe your skin. I had chafing problems with my thighs rubbing together so I bought a stick of Glide. It's in a container like a stick of deodorant and you just rub it on the problem areas. It feels kind of sticky at first but once you start sweating its fine! Some guys even use it on their nipples! I never had that problem. lol
    Also can you try swimming or water jogging? It's much easier on the joints and is still a good workout.
    Good luck to you and once again congrats on getting started on this journey to a new, healthy lifestyle! YOU can do this! :)
  • stephanielindsey
    Options
    I started at 309 and did mostly calisthenics and yoga. Situps, pushups, squats. I couldn't really do lunges because I, too, had issues with my knees. So I did other exercises to help strengthen them. Now, I'm doing mostly Zumba (at 294) and do a lot better at it than I would've thought. Basically, there is nothing that you absolutely can't do, you may just need to modify some things.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've started!
    I agree with others that walking, swimming, and light weights or resistance bands are great parts to start. Do what you can and soon you'll be able to do more. If you hurt yourself or make yourself feel awful about exercising, it will be that much harder and painful.
    Do you like music? Do you like to dance? Think about whether it's more fun for you to have some solitary, peaceful time as you exercise or if it makes the time go faster to workout with others?
    I also like what I call "sneak exercise"... can you march in place while you brush your teeth or watch TV? Can you do partial leg lifts under your desk at work (tighten your tummy and raise the lower part of your legs until your knees are almost straight, lower slowly, and repeat). What other exercises can you work into your normal routine?
    Good luck!
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 444.4 pounds Sept 2011 and now I'm down to 320.3. March 2012

I have lost all of my weight by walking I wore a pedometer doing 10,000 steps a day and now I have a FitBit and incorporate cardio & weight.

It's all down to getting moving & portion control, I weigh everything I eat, my dinner is served on a side plate.

If I can do it you can
    :flowerforyou:
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    2 words: Leslie Sansone
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If walking is something you can do, there's no reason why you can't continue doing it. For "more", you can walk a little further. Or a little faster. Or uphill.

Building up to more exercise is often more sustainable then jumping into the regime-of-the-month. However, if you're simply "bored" with the walking and want something else to do, add in weight lifting/strength training might be "fun". And, it has the added benefit of not being hard overly on your knees (if you avoid a few things and have good form) or your heart. [and my mom "loves" leslie sansome!...as someone else suggested]

The last thing you want to do is go gung-ho and hurt yourself. I did that many years ago...was pushing morbidly obese and decided to take up running. Outside. On concrete. I messed up my knees and for about 3-4 months I couldn't do anything but use the rowing machine. Even walking hurt. Talk about demotivating! So don't let images like "the biggest loser" make you think that "harder is better."

Sustainability is the best thing going.
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this has already been said, but maybe a recumbant bike or stationary bike (great cardio, but not hard on your joints). Also anything in the pool (if you don't mind doing classes with a bunch of cute older people) is great if you have pain with joints from impact exercise. The elliptical is a fantastic cardio workout, and in non weight bearing as well, but difficult if you are out of shape. I started out at 15 min. intervals, and slowly increased incline, resistance, and time. Good luck to you in your journey. I hope you have the best success possible!!!
  • Gill_L
    Gill_L Posts: 69
    Options
    I have 152 lbs to lose and I have some medical issues that stop me doing certain exercises. I use a wii fit and do the step and any others that I can do but if my baby granddaughters (nearly 2) around I put on some music and dance around the house with her as she loves to dance( as long as no one else is here of course lol). I also use a couple of cans of beans or something to do some sort of weight lifting arm exercises and my doctor has given me exercises to strengthen my knees. Walking is good and I can't wait to go swimming again as I used to love it when younger I am just too embarrassed to get in a costume at the moment so don't go.

You will find lots of support here so if you need any help just shout :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Also, if you have an iphone there are dif. apps you can use to track your time, distance, calories burned (based on your height and weight) and steps per walk. I use one that has a gps in it to track my mileage for goals. Pedometer Pro is what I use.

Just don't tuck it in where it'll get wet from sweat! (@)(@)
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Try rope skipping. We all did that as children, didnt we? When i tried it again in my fifties, it was difficult at first, but now it is my go-to activity to burn 50 cal in 5 min (would be much more cal for you if your weight is 300 lb)
  • betsygw
    betsygw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't see the post about not having a gym membership. In that case walking is great. Take your time, you feel better and better over time. It is a long process though, and it's ok to get discouraged! Just hang in there, and take it one day at a time. Do you have a bike? Bike rides are great, and depending on your kiddos ages, they can join you. The pool is great too! When you do get a gym membership, remember, no one is judging you! (I had that fear when I first started going to the gym). I was suprised to see people encouraging me! Like I said before, the elliptical has helped me tons! I also love the recumbant bike, and the pool aerobics class. Best of luck again!!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you've been inactive, anything helps. And, to be honest, when I worked out at the gym 4-5 days a week, I often sat around the rest of the time.

Now I don't go to a gym, but when I walk, even if it's in a parking lot, I try to walk quickly. Even bursts of 5 or 10 minutes can help you improve fitness.

At work, instead of walking UP 7 flights of stairs, I walk DOWN, and it's made a difference. I do it quickly, and as often as I can when I leave work, or run an errand at work.

I think just moving more in general will help you, whatever that entails.
  • DeniseChilver
    DeniseChilver Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I made a topic of people who lost over 100lbs, a lot of us are just sharing our tips and advice, it might be a worthy read for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529222-people-who-lost-over-100lbs-what-are-your-tips-advice

It's a great topic too and will really motivate anyone, I recommend anyone who thinks they cant do it to go and be inspired ! :flowerforyou:
  • ejstill
    ejstill Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm not an expert at this.. But I have lost 15 lbs in 2 months. I plan to lose 60 more pounds, and then see where I am. But I am not thinking about it that way. I am getting to specific weights at a time. I started at 260, and made my goal 230. I'm 245 now. Just because with the larger goals, it seemed like the weight would never go away. I don't know if that makes sense to you.
  • Justie4fun
    Options
    If you can afford a good recumbant bike I would suggest getting one. You can watch tv while doing it and the time passes fast. I'm a little concerned about running while you are over 300 lbs because I think the impact on your joints with be fairly drastic. Non-impact exercises are best. An elliptical trainer is also a good investment. Otherwise, as others have suggested Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds are good. Dancing to your favorite music. Invest in a few bands to do some gentle weights. Good luck with your journey.
  • knjantz
    knjantz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started also by just walking, slowly and short at first- then adding longer/fast walks until I was at a very brisk pace and walking about 3-4 miles at a time. I joined Planet Fitness just to use the Circuit training room- it is great and I got super fast results. One of the key things to remember is to tone while you lose so you don't get flabby and have extra skin- it will far easier to tone it while you lose it. The circuit room is great, you do 1 minute on a weight machine and then 1 minute on a cardio and you go around alternating between weight machines and cardio for 30 mins total. By the end of 30 mins you have toned your entire body and done cardio. Its nice because you can go as slow as you want on the cardio and lift as light as you want on the machines and keep building up your resistance. After I felt I was not pushing myself enough in that room I went to the treadmill where I started out slow and short, and built up speed/incline/resistance and time. Then went to the elliptical and now I am on the full body ARC machines. Remember also, it's going to hurt- push through. DON'T HURT YOURSELF but you need to push through and not 'phone it in' when you think you just can't anymore, give it one more minute. Congratulations on starting your new path- I know the first step is the hardest. Do not get discouraged and hang in there! Planet Fitness has memberships for 10.00/month with no contract. or if you know someone with a membership they can take a guest for free every time. If you cannot get a membership then I would just keep walking and just keep pushing yourself, harder, faster, longer. Add leg weights and arm weights eventually.
  • MomDaze3
    MomDaze3 Posts: 24
    Options
    I made a topic of people who lost over 100lbs, a lot of us are just sharing our tips and advice, it might be a worthy read for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529222-people-who-lost-over-100lbs-what-are-your-tips-advice

Thanks! :happy:
  • MomDaze3
    MomDaze3 Posts: 24
    Options
    If you can afford a good recumbant bike I would suggest getting one. You can watch tv while doing it and the time passes fast. I'm a little concerned about running while you are over 300 lbs because I think the impact on your joints with be fairly drastic. Non-impact exercises are best. An elliptical trainer is also a good investment. Otherwise, as others have suggested Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds are good. Dancing to your favorite music. Invest in a few bands to do some gentle weights. Good luck with your journey.

I'm honestly worried about my joints too. I thought about a recumbent bike. I have bands and weights...somewhere. it's time to dust off the things I need and get moving!