Kickboxing and the Kettle Ball

Options
2»

Replies

• Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've heard that kickboxing can be a really great workout for toning and loosing weight. Has anyone tried any good kickboxing DVD's you would recommend?

I've recently read some good things about the kettle ball and some of the videos that go along with it. Im considering getting one. I saw a 8 pound kettle ball for about $15 at Ocean State Job Lot. I wanted to get anyone who's tried these workouts opinions first.

Try a martial art, I do, not only do you meet great people, but you are shown technique and corrected.

KB are amazing, but you want at least a 16, or you will just have earrings xx
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Hcs82, if Billy Blanks isn't a kickboxer, then what is he?

Billy Wayne Blanks (born September 1, 1955) is an American fitness guru, martial artist, actor, and the inventor of the Tae Bo exercise program

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Blanks

I see no mention of any kickboxing record there.

E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hunt See no.3 kickboxing record.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

Hcs82, if Billy Blanks isn't a kickboxer, then what is he?

Billy Wayne Blanks (born September 1, 1955) is an American fitness guru, martial artist, actor, and the inventor of the Tae Bo exercise program

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Blanks

I see no mention of any kickboxing record there.

E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Hunt See no.3 kickboxing record.

Chrisdavey, I'm putting you back on ignore.
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You're putting someone on ignore because they respectfully answered your question...?

Regarding the original post: I really like kettlebells, but kickboxing (or workouts of a similar nature :P) can be more fun, especially if it's something like Turbo Jam or Turbo Fire. I feel like kettlebells would yield better results, though. As far as starting out with 8 lbs... I started out with 10 lbs and after about two weeks I was ready to move up to 15lbs for most of the exercises I did. I don't think 8 is worth it and you could probably find a 10 lbs one for a similar price. 15 might even be a good weight to start with; 10 was good for me because for awhile I was verrrry sedentary and therefore pretty weak.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about gym fees, you can always find a dojo or boxing club. These places, in my experience don't have membership fees, but tend to charge by the class. My dojo actually only charges you for the classes you attend, and if you buy a package of classes, you can get them as cheap as $7/hour class. It's a steal.
  • Em28wxm
    Em28wxm Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Nat. I am a friend of Chris davey. I dont appreciate you putting him on ignore just because you are incorrect lol.

Tae Bo is not kick boxing.

Kick boxing is Kick boxing. Thats where you get punched,elbowed and kicked in the face, with one person being declared the winner.

You are joining your friend and Tae Bo is kickboxing.
    Denial must be a wonderful place to exist.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Punching and kicking at the air will do nothing but aggravate your joints and hurt your body in the long run. Tae Bo and any cardio kickboxing is not really kickboxing and you will hyper-extend your arms and legs.

Really? Billy Blanks is a martial artists, who has created Tae Bo and he has been doing it for over 30 years and you are telling me that his cardio kickboxing will hyper-extend his arms and legs and everyone that does his workouts arms and legs as well?

Silk Manning even has kickboxing workouts and not only that, he teaches kickboxing classes.

Surely, these professional martial artists would have warned the people that does their workout of the danger it could do to them.

But...Billy Blanks is so bulky. I am worried that I might get all muscular. I don't like that.

I will stick with floating in the pool on my back...
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Help I have fallen and can't stop laughing!
  • Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    This post has been locked due to several guideline violations - the OP's message has been lost amongst people attacking and insulting each other. This is not allowed in the forums and we appreciate your help in preventing it from happening in the first place.

This post may be deleted at any time.
This discussion has been closed.