2 weeks notice?

Options
2»

Replies

• allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    Absolutely put it in writing, but I think you ought to hand it to her and explain face-to-face. Let her know that you don't want to leave them high and dry looking for someone to fill the position, and that you're willing to find and train a replacement.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Give notice. Always the polite thing to do. If the job and boss were truely horrible I would type up an official letter & place it on her desk-make it unemotional and to the point. I handed in my last notice via email. I kept getting talked into staying longer-you can't undo an email! If you truely like your boss then type up your notice and hand deliver it to her. But don't feel bad about leaving!
  • natalie7015
    natalie7015 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Type something up to give to her and then ask if you can have a private chat. Then tell her what is going on and present your resignation at the same time. I've had to do it before. I know it's hard, but if you are one hundred percent sure that your moving I would go ahead. But first, make sure your positive about moving, relocating and start your job search yesterday!
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    Do it face to face and have a formal letter of resignation to hand to her after your conversation.

Yes, it will be uncomfortable, embarrasing and probably hard, but if you do it the 'wrong' way it will probably come back to bite you. And what is the worst that will happen? She'll fire you? Seriously, you may have lost a friend anyways so why make it worse?
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I believe that professionally, it should be in writing. On a personal level, you should tell her as you hand her the written notice.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I understand the fear! That said, life happens. Unforseen circumstances happen. It doesn't mean you were dishonest back then, just that things change.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Put it in writing because she'll need it for her files, but hand it to her in person and explain yourself. Life circumstances change, and if she's a good friend she'll understand. Also, tell her soon. Even if you won't be leaving for a month tell her now so she can start looking for a replacement. She'll appreciate the fact that you are considering her needs. Also, make sure you finish all your current projects and help the rest of the office get ready for your departure. This shows respect and will help ensure that you can stay friends after you leave.

Definitely don't e-mail her or just leave it on her desk, it leaves it open for her to interpret things the wrong way, like you're trying to snub her or afraid of confronting the issue.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    All good advice. I should clarify my friend got me the job, her and I both work for the broker. The broker/owner is who I would be turning the notice into. I realized how confusing that was after I read it over, lol.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If it were me, here's what I would do: I would put it in writing, tell her that my SO and I have decided to move to Florida and hand her my two weeks during that conversation. She doesn't need to know all the reasons I didn't like the job, just that I made a decision with my SO to pursue opportunities in FL. How personal you get depends on your comfort level with your friend, and whether or not you feel it would be helpful or harmful based on her personality and your friendship.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and your SO! :OD
  • JenSmith1104
    Options
    tell her its been great but oh has been offered a job in florida and youre going to move back to help look after your sick granny and enjoy some sun and offer free accomadation when she visits that way you will get a good reference lol

Lying only makes things worse; don't do it!
  • Lup120
    Lup120 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yes, what everyone else has said. Do not burn a professional and personal bridge with your friend, she could be a great reference in the future. Be professional and polite by both telling her in person and by giving her your letter of resignation. She may be disappointed, but I am sure she and your other co-workers will understand. Explain to her at the time you accepted the job fully intended to stay with the business long-term, but circumstances since then have changed and you now need to make other changes that are in line with what is happening in your personal life.

Maybe you can offer to make a training guide for your replacement, if you feel that it would make things easier on your friend.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you're going, write a short resignation letter and hand deliver it. Let your boss know how disappointed you are that you have to leave. They'll understand. Volunteer to do all you can to make it a smooth transition (and live up to that).
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Just read over all of the responses. I feel a lot better about the whole situation. I will be putting something in writing and then also discuss the notice with her. She knows that my family is down there, so I am sure she will understand. It's a very hard position to fill and I will offer to help her find a replacement as well as train them. I'll be ending my employment around the first of the month which is always the busiest time, but I gotta do what I gotta do!
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would definitely put something in writing. You can probably find a letter of resignations draft online to give you some ideas. I would write one and sit down with her. You definitely want to leave on good terms so you can use them as a reference. Good luck!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I had to give my notice at a job where I really enjoyed the work and the people, just a better opportunity came along and I had to look at what was best for me. I wrote out my two weeks, and kept the letter very professional. But I handed the letter to my boss and sat down to talk to her on a more personal level. She was so supportive. It wasn't that I was trying to leave them high and dry, I just needed to do what was good for me. Oh and don't focus on the bad stuff in the office, you will be leaving that behind, so just let it be.

^^^ EXACTLY THIS
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Florida isn't cheap.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    Florida isn't cheap.

No big thang :)
  • jacquelyn_erika
    Options
    I had to give my notice at a job where I really enjoyed the work and the people, just a better opportunity came along and I had to look at what was best for me. I wrote out my two weeks, and kept the letter very professional. But I handed the letter to my boss and sat down to talk to her on a more personal level. She was so supportive. It wasn't that I was trying to leave them high and dry, I just needed to do what was good for me. Oh and don't focus on the bad stuff in the office, you will be leaving that behind, so just let it be.

^^^ EXACTLY THIS

Thanks..super helpful!