Minimizing Daily Sodium Intake

Options
Now that I am pretty good at meeting my daily calorie goal I am starting to focus on some other aspects of my nutrition, specifically minimizing fat and sodium intake. Clearly, I have been eating way too much sodium for some time, as I've had trouble keeping under the 2,500 mg a day mfp recommends. Then I read yesterday on the web that if you're over 50 you should really keep your sodium intake around 1,500 mg a day! I have work to do. Is anyone else out there trying to keep their sodium and/or fat intake lower, and I'd be happy to hear any tips that have worked for you.

Replies

• crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I too am having the same problem and posted on here this am. I can't help but am interested in anyone who replies. I'm also over 50. Good luck!!
  • michaelvhawk
    michaelvhawk Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was having the same issue until I really started to focus on the sodium intake. Stay away from eating out at all costs as it does not matter where you go it is all loaded with sodium. Also avoid as many processed foods as you can, they can pack a big punch as well. My biggest contributor was deli meat like turkey and ham. I would have a turkey or ham sandwich for lunch every day and it was killing me on the sodium front. As you start to pay attention to it you will start to realize what foods are best for you in this area.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I started logging my sodium when I seriously joined MFP 3 months ago. I was blown away at how much sodium is naturally in the foods I was eating... and even more suprised at how much was in prepared foods I ate all the time thinking I was being "healthy," such as low sodium Progresso soups and low cal Subway Sandwiches (without sauce).

I'm 51. I was a total salt-a-holic. My pre-diet favorite was margaritas with salt of course, chips and queso (I'd totally cover the chips with salt), and whatever fat unhealthy thing I wanted to eat on the menu (love mexican food, but it's the worst thing for your diet).

Now I keep my sodium pretty much under 2000/day. I've learned not to put salt on my foods for the most part. I don't eat fast foods or pizzas. On the occasions that I do use seasonings, I measure everything. I use a lot more lemon, Mrs Dash, and salt substitute. It takes a while for your taste buds to change, but they will. I don't use prepared foods as much, and I'm a big label reader. I've switched from regular milk to Almond milk. I've modified a lot of things, but you learn to get creative with foods.

Once in a while I'll get a hankering for salt and I might indulge. I had martini's the other night and I love them dirty with extra olives. The next day my ankles were swollen and I'd gained 2 lbs of water weight that took 3 days to get back down. Was it worth it? Maybe not. Will it happen again? Definitely... I'm human.. and once in a while isn't going to totally derail me. We still gotta live!

Good luck.. happy cooking!
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I do like a good whiskey sour now and then, and that won't stop. But here I was thinking measuring things was for wimps - there's so much fat and so many calories in olive oil! Good grief. It really is important to track everything.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am not ready to start tracking my sodium intake yet..this will be my biggest challenge.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Lots of good low or no sodium alternatives. For bread, Ezikiel 4.9 has a zero sodium version. Same with Trader Joe's Whole Wheat.

Amy's has a low sodium line of frozen foods and Healthy Choice has some fairly low sodium choices a well.

You can also find low sodium versions of soups, canned tuna and canned salmon at the supermarket and many health food stores.

Basically, get in the habit of reading labels and you'll soon enough figure where the sodium is and what to avoid.

Eating out can be a bit of a challenge, but if you avoid anything prepared in advance -- soups, sauces, etc., you can be OK , but definitely ask your server what dishes can be prepared without salt.

You can also check sodium amounts online at some national chains, and where you can't, you can bring your mobile app with you to the restaurant to check out items you may not be sure of.

Chinese restaurants ironically offer both the best and worst in low sodium dining. The sauces, soups, and most appetizers are absolutely drenched in sodium. On the other hand, since most of their main dishes are cooked to order -- if you order your dishes steamed -- or cooked only with oil, garlic and pepper, ginger) you can eat out practically sodium free.

Another eating out strategy is that if you're know you're going out for dinner, stick to very low sodium choices during the day and save them for dinner.

I've been successful at keeping my sodium between 1000 and 1500 mg/day. Some days as low as 500-1000.

-- James
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    The really good news is, sodium is not the devil it has been cast as.

As long as you are hydrated (light urine), and you get sweaty on a regular basis, excess sodium is flushed away and isn't a big deal.

If you already have hypertension, if your doctor has told you to keep it low, then by all means, care for your health as best you can, but for regular folks without health issues, sodium isn't the monster that we have heard.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When you read labels, don't just read the front label wherr it might say "Reduced Sodium," "No Salt Added" and the like. Turn the packaging around and read the nutrition label. Items with lower sodium and no salt added could still have too much sodium. And foods with sea salt are not necessarily low in sodium.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    The really good news is, sodium is not the devil it has been cast as.

As long as you are hydrated (light urine), and you get sweaty on a regular basis, excess sodium is flushed away and isn't a big deal.

If you already have hypertension, if your doctor has told you to keep it low, then by all means, care for your health as best you can, but for regular folks without health issues, sodium isn't the monster that we have heard.

When you say "regular folks", do you realize that according to the CDC, 45% of U.S. adults have high pressure, and many simply don't know it, and most do not have any symptoms? There's a reason why high blood pressure called the silent killer.

Sure, there are many people who probably don't have to watch their sodium. But just about half of us "regular folks" do!

-- James
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks, guys - great ideas. Yes, I notice there isn't a soup I can find in a can that is actually low sodium. I will try making my own, and I am avoiding eating out like I used to. I think for now I will shoot for keeping my sodium under 2000, then work my way down from there. For instance, today I have 700 calories left to eat and am close to 1,500 mg of sodium already.