To Fitbit or not to Fitbit...

Options
I have been thinking about buying the Fitbit. Anyone currently using it? If so, do you like it? Do you think it really adds value and assistance to your weight loss?
How accurate is it when it comes to tracking your sleep?

Thanks, in advance!

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just got their black/plum one for my girlfriend off of Amazon.

I hear it's good, but just be conscience of it. You can physically shake it and add mileage to your walking. Someone on Amazon also reported that it counted steps even while they were driving one day.

Take it for what it's worth, but don't rely on it as the best fitness tool at its current production.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You would be better off using getting a bodymedia fit or bodybugg. they are more accurate.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have one but I'm a guy that likes his gadgets and numbers but I've only had it for two weeks. So far it seems okay but I'm not 100% sold I do like seeing the number of steps I take throughout the day. As far as the counting steps when I drive it doesnt do it but I clip it on my belt (that might be a case if its clip on the bar or something and yes you can shake it up and down and it counts a step but its just a fancy pedometer and any pedometer will do that. Other than that the two websites link up. I'm still trying it out and if I find that I don't fully like it I can return it within 30 days.

I wanted a body media fit but I couldn't see paying the monthly fee just to see my stats. (I understand why they charge but its not in my budget at the moment)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You would be better off using getting a bodymedia fit or bodybugg. they are more accurate.

And more expensive and larger and require a monthly subscription. There are many factors to weigh besides just accuracy.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

And more expensive and larger and require a monthly subscription. There are many factors to weigh besides just accuracy.

If you are turly interested in finding out what your caloirc expendature is, why short change yourself?
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options

If you are turly interested in finding out what your caloirc expendature is, why short change yourself?

Also on a wallet diet XD
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Because fitbit still does a pretty good job at it without being as large etc......I think if your goal is to find out exactly how many calories you are burning the others will be better than the fitbit. If you are using it as a motivational tool and to compare days for overall activity rather than the exact calories for one activity then I think the fitbit is every bit as good and maybe better than the alternatives
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    HATED mine and returned it after 2 days, it is a glorified step counter, nothing more. It told me I woke up 13 times at night... not possible
  • Kristen34w
    Options
    I like my fitbit but i dont love it. I got it for valentines day and have been using it since. However, it is not as accurate as a body bugg. I had one but it died and I didn't want to spend that much money again, plus I liked the size of the fitbit and also that it didn't require an additional monthly fee. It does a really good job tracking my sleep patterns and also steps. It does not track my activity. My daily calorie burn will read the same if I take a walk or do hard core kickboxing class that leaves me dead on floor! I have started to use it as a guide and a tool, but not something I really depend on. It is an expensive pedometer.
  • AddictedtoTattoos
    Options
    Sounds like it really is a glorified pedometer, I use a Omron pedometer and through a personal trial and error found it 98% accurate. For every 50 steps it would misread at most 4 steps, pretty good for the price I paid. It doesn't count steps when your driving, but it's better to have on a belt loop then your shoe. When I'm wearing pajamas i'll have it on my sock but if i'm out and about I hook it sideways by the clip to a belt loop, and it still works. It will log your steps for 7 days, tell you how many miles you've gone and how many calories you've burned. The only thing is it doesn't really track other exercise, but apparently neither does fitbit.