I need some reassurance?

Options
For 12 days I had been doing real well in eating healthy, and in staying within my caloric goal. I also worked out for an hour probably 8-10 of those days.

Yesterday, though, I had one of the worst binges I've had in a long time. I don't want to demean the binges that some people go through that I know can be much worse, but I couldn't seem to stop myself, until I had eaten so much that I felt like throwing up. =\

Today, I feel as though I've "undone" those 12 hard worked for days. I know this is a common way to respond, but I'm wanting to know- will I have a temporary weight gain from it or will my body "level it out"? How many days could one binge set me back?

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you the answers you want.

Unfortunately the only thing I can say is this:
    There's nothing you can do now to undo your "binge". You want to know exactly how much it could set you back. Does knowing this information change anything? Is it going to change the way you approach your weight loss in the future? Because I can guess that the answer is "no"... So please do yourself a huge favor and forgive yourself. Then get back on track. It doesn't make sense to dwell on one food mistake, because all you can change is the future.
  • StephEwell
    StephEwell Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi Paris!

I remember how hard it was starting out, it can be daunting and frustrating - especially when your body isn't used to the new "plan".

Okay, so I have a few questions beyond this - what is your caloric goal? How much are you trying to lose a week?

Depending on your answers - there could be a variety of reasons why you binged and the effect that it will have on your body. In general, a binge here and there will not "undo" what you've done. I've had plenty of them (feel free to look through my diary - I don't hold back!) and I actually haven't really seen a weight gain afterwards. Although, I wouldn't label it a binge, per se, I just say that I'm going over my calories. I usually do it for special occasions, and try to limit it to once every couple weeks. I will say that you should be drinking a ton of water after eating lots of food because there was probably a lot of sodium in it, and it's good to flush that all out.

And if you take one thing from me, please take this: This should not be a race. This should be a change. Pure and simple. That change will not happen overnight. Right now you have one body (Body A) and you're working towards a new body (Body B). Body A and Body B have different habits, make different choices, eat different foods and feel differently about themselves. You are in a transition from the body you have to the body you want, and it's not always easy. Remember that if what you're eating on a day to day basis is not something you can maintain for a long time, that you're not going to be successful. Your change needs to be sustainable, and something that you're comfortable living with for more than a couple weeks or a month.
  • kimthomasjames
    kimthomasjames Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Setbacks happen when you stop pushing forward. Forget about the past, the binge, just keeping moving forward. Your good days will outweigh your bad days. Don't let your mind play tricks on you. Look forward! You can do it!
  • rowdy47879
    rowdy47879 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What you are explaining is the reason I allow myself a "cheat day" every week! With that said, I do not let myself go entirely crazy on that day but I have found that giving myself that flexibility on a regular basis keeps me from having binges like you described. I also agree with what the other posters have said, this is a process. You are not going to see results overnight, not on the scale and not in changing your habits. Try not to beat yourself up when you stray off course and get right back on the wagon. Persistance and patience pay off in my experience!
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. They're actually really helping me redevelop my mindset for forgiving myself and having full dedication to my weight loss...Thanks so much.
  • colorlessgreen
    colorlessgreen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you; I have the same all-or-nothing mindset. Once I fall off the wagon, it's so easy for me to get down on myself and totally give up. One of my friends on here gave me an analogy I liked that helped me last month: if you drop your phone on the ground, you don't decide it's ruined and stomp it to pieces! It's just one mistake--you pick it up and be more mindful next time!

Plus, an occasional binge can actually be good for a diet; it can tell your body that it's not in a famine, and you may end up losing a little more!
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way, 1lb = 3500 calories. How many calories do you think you binged? It couldn't have been THAT bad. Your metabolism will deal with it just fine I'm sure and you'll have a better week next week :o)
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    will I have a temporary weight gain from it or will my body "level it out"?

Yes, I'm sure you gained some water weight which will definitely go away.

We all didn't get fat in a day, it took months and in some cases years. One bad day does not cancel out 2 good weeks, it's not even close.