Need birthday 'cake' ideas!!!

Options
christibam
christibam Posts: 478 Member
I'm turning 25 next month and my husband is going to be 28 a few days before that. We're both working at getting healthier but here's the key difference:

He wants a full on birthday cake for himself. So whatever. He can have his cake lol.

I want something low cal.

We're going to have separate birthday parties this year even though we usually combine them. He said that I should have my own day this year anyway because Easter is "stealing" it again rofl. (April 8th)

I'm thinking about making a big cheesecake brownie thing for my 'cake' and putting candles on it. I saw the recipe on here for something under 100 calories per serving and I was like... ohmigodz.

But I don't know. I'm thinking maybe something a little more traditional? Either an angel food cake or little angel food cupcakes but I'd like to know if there's a way to make a frosting that's low in sugar and pretty high in protein... maybe there's a way to mix in vanilla protein powder and somehow come out with frosting by adding other things?

<Clueless.

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How about a Diet Coke cake? Buy a box of the reduced sugar Pillsbury cake mix and add a 12oz can of diet coke. Nothing else. Mix and bake according to the box directions. It's yummy.

You can also try different flavor variations, i.e., white cake mix with diet orange or raspberry. If you want frosting, you can use lite cool whip if you like that.

Just an idea. Good luck.
  • christibam
    Options
    How about a Diet Coke cake? Buy a box of the reduced sugar Pillsbury cake mix and add a 12oz can of diet coke. Nothing else. Mix and bake according to the box directions. It's yummy.

I may have to experiment with that before April. It sounds... interesting lol. But I bet it's good.

I need to find guinea pigs to eat all the leftover stuff I make trying to find the right thing haha
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Just eat regular cake and don't go overboard.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I haven't made it yet, but I'm planning to on Friday.
    Oreo cookie pie crust (pre made it's 100cal for 1/8 of pie)
    No sugar no fat instant chocolate pudding
    and a banana

it's about 190cals a slice. I'll be adding cool whip! lol
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I may have to experiment with that before April. It sounds... interesting lol. But I bet it's good.

I need to find guinea pigs to eat all the leftover stuff I make trying to find the right thing haha

I've made diet soda cake. Any flavor of diet soda, any flavor of cake mix. The only suggestion I have is adding 2 egg whites, beaten, to the mix. It only adds 34 calories to the entire cake, but it fluffs up the batter in a more cake-like way. Some diet soda cakes can be pretty flat.

You can use lite cool-whip to frost the diet soda cake, it tastes nice and is still low in calories.
  • MommieD
    MommieD Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been subbing applesauce in for most or all of the oil in cake recipes. Also, egg whites instead of whole eggs. I also use a few Vegan recipes sometimes; these substitutions all cut back on fat. Just do a Google search for the type of cake you want.
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

That's what I say....if you're going to have a slice of cake....do it right! :-)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Any boxed cake mix (Chocolate, Spice, Vanilla) 1 15 oz can of pumpkin, no water!. Bake for 30 -40 min. No you can't taste the pumpkin and yes it's great and under 100 cal a serving. 24 cupcakes or sheet cake cut into 24 slices. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar or Fat Free Cool Whip.

Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1 cupcake Calories: 84.2 • Fat: 0.8 g • Protein: 0.6 g • Carb: 18.5 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 9.9 g
    Sodium: 140.9 mg
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    chocolate cake mix one large can of regular pumpkin, tsp vanilla. mix and bake as box says! yummy and SO moist. frost with whatever...cool whip maybe? good luck :)
  • gaelyngaelyn
    gaelyngaelyn Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sugar free or low fat angel food cake topped with low fat or fat free cool whip and lots of cut strawberries!
  • christibam
    Options

The problem with that is my tastes have totally changed over the last few months of eating better. I don't know if it's the uber sweetness or what but I hear "buttercream" and I loose interest. I used to eat the crap out of some icing too.

I used to get this:

sif219708.jpg

It has like 5 layers of cake and ganache alllllllllllllllll inside it and is covered with ganache and chocolate. I used to love it but it doesn't even sound that good anymore... which is sorta sad lol.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I love strawberry short cakes.. sugar free cool whip.. strawberries..

But I agree with the other poster who said.... IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY.. HAVE A SLICE OF WHAT YOU WANT! It's one day.. workout for it if that makes you feel better.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I loveee Angel Food Cake :) Light Cool Whip, and lotsss of strawberries!!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Answer this. Would you rather have:

1) Low cal cake with lots of chemicals and preservatives and other $%^& messing with your body, OR
    2) A natural cake with ingredients your body was made to digest and don't cause cancer or diabetes?

If 1, go ahead and eat man-made artificial sweeteners etc :)
    If 2, I would suggest a paleo cake.

Examples:
    Paleo German Choc Cake. Ingredients: eggs, maple syrup, butter, vanilla extract, coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, dark chocolate, pecans, heavy whipping cream, coconut flakes.
    Dark Choc Coconut Cake: eggs, honey, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, coconut oil, coconut flour, baking soda

Health is more than your weight or calories. It's your immune and inner health as well. Just my two pennies :)
  • christibam
    Options

1) Low cal cake with lots of chemicals and preservatives and other $%^& messing with your body, OR
    2) A natural cake with ingredients your body was made to digest and don't cause cancer or diabetes?

Examples:
    Paleo German Choc Cake. Ingredients: eggs, maple syrup, butter, vanilla extract, coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, dark chocolate, pecans, heavy whipping cream, coconut flakes.
    Dark Choc Coconut Cake: eggs, honey, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, coconut oil, coconut flour, baking soda

Health is more than your weight or calories. It's your immune and inner health as well. Just my two pennies :)

Definitely option 2. I like the Dark chocolate coconut cake idea... mainly because of the honey and coconut.

Do you have a link or baking instructions on that?
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I agree...your birthday comes once a year. Indulge in a small slice!
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Like I did on Thanksgiving, weigh a slice of whatever cake you want to eat! Enjoy the day...MFP isn't about sacrificing...it's about getting the calories you need to live and you should eat the food you love...it just may not be the amounts we're used to eating. If it's about the cake, skip the ice cream. Skip part of the meal before the cake...pass on the fries, leave the pizza crusts on the plate. I suggest EVERYONE doing this program have a small digital scale to weigh your portions...nobody here goes to a gas station to fill up their car based on eyeballing a bucket of fuel...it's way to easy to go over. But don't think for a minute you shouldn't love every bite of food you put in your mouth. You can also burn of 100 calories (or whatever amount) in less than 30 minutes of cardio...MFP even has a cardio exercise for "house cleaning light/moderate" that I like to use when I vacuum the stairs, mop the floor or go sweep your sidewalk or something. Wash windows, clean the fridge, earn the cake but I'd suggest you make it delicious. If you have to make sacrifices it might not be sustainable.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    a box of angel food cake and a can of crushed pineapple baked and topped with cool whip or I use homemade whipped cream with light cream.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Examples:

Definitely option 2. I like the Dark chocolate coconut cake idea... mainly because of the honey and coconut.

Do you have a link or baking instructions on that?

Happy Birthday. Please eat real cake.

My personal gift to you.

http://marzipanalley.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/flourless-german-chocolate-cake/

Yeah, there is sugar so it's not paleo, but it IS flourless.