Any tips on keeping fruits/veggies from turning - when your

Options
I have the problem of buying and cooking for one, which means its hard for me to go through all of my produce before it goes bad. Its also challenging because the sizes that a lot of produce comes in (like berries, mixed greens) is too big to eat without consuming it 24/7. I don't know about anyone else but I like SOME variety in my diet, so eating the same salad four days in a row isn't exactly exciting.

Any tips???

Replies

• ever4green
    ever4green Posts: 5
    Options
    I have the problem of buying and cooking for one, which means its hard for me to go through all of my produce before it goes bad. Its also challenging because the sizes that a lot of produce comes in (like berries, mixed greens) is too big to eat without consuming it 24/7. I don't know about anyone else but I like SOME variety in my diet, so eating the same salad four days in a row isn't exactly exciting.

Any tips???
  • chantybear
    chantybear Posts: 343
    Options
    Try frozen veggies and fruit, and just buy the small containers of mixed greens for salads (they last about a week and a half). I do fruit and yogurt, and just microwave the fruit for about 20 seconds, so it is not mushy, but not frozen. Frozen veggies are really good, because they keep, and they are quick.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I would buy lots of frozen veggies when I was cooking for just me, that and a trip to the store to buy produce at least 1 x a week. And if I found something seasonal, like berries, I would keep out enough for me to have a few servings then freeze the rest, so it wouldn't go bad. For salads, I still buy the hearts of romaine, then cut them up myself, wash well and store in the fridge in a storage bag with a paper towel thrown in to keep the lettuce dry. It keeps much longer than the precut stuff that way. Hope that helps!
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My mom got me those Debbie Meyer Green Bags to try, and they actually work!
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Wrap your greens in a wet paper towel and put them in a ziploc bag.
    Freeze your berries in single servings in ziploc bags..
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    Celery keeps forever in the fridge if you wrap it in tin foil.

Most other things I buy just enough for the week.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen veggies and fruits, the fruits I put into smoothies with a little soymilk and a little soy yogurt then add whatever cereal is lying around. The frozen veggies are great in just about any meal but I especially like adding them to olive oil and a garlic clove to top pastas or rice.
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My mom got me those Debbie Meyer Green Bags to try, and they actually work!

wow! I've been debating getting those, but was unsure if they really worked, i might have to go get some now!
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I have them and they are wonderful! They are at bed bath and beyond for $20
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I usually eat things in an order. Things that go bad the fastest get consumed first and things that go bad slowest get consumed last. I supplement with frozen veggies as it gets closer to grocery shopping day. With some careful planning, you should be able to do it! And yes, keep a damp paper towel in with anything like chopped cucumbers, lettuce, etc. I usually put plastic wrap over my bowl and paper towel to help keep the moisture in and it keeps pretty great. Also, if you chop a few apples up for a handy fruit salad, make sure you at least put a chopped orange in there and squeeze the juice over top of the apples. The citrus will help keep the apples from browning for 2-3 days as long as you cover it!
  • samantha85
    samantha85 Posts: 10
    Options
    I can relate to your problem - I often cook for 1 also and I find that frozen veggies make things so much easier. I buy a variety of different kids, mostly broccoli and green beans though, and steam them. You can even steam a bunch and save some for your next meal or two. If you boil your vegetables, you lose some of the nutritients, so steaming is a good option, and it tastes really good too!
  • mc92367
    mc92367 Posts: 14
    Options
    maybe you can freeze some of the veggies and fruit. Do it by portions. it's just a suggestion. or you can buy little by little. I know it's work but you can make sure it wont go bad.Good luck.
  • bretay
    bretay Posts: 8
    Options
    you can get the debbie meyer bags at walmart for 9.96. they work really well.:smile::smile:

59817.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary