Soup, Salad and Sub... right?

Options
I've found a few things that area amazingly filling for the calories.
Soups, Salads and Subs.

Of course, Soups are good but I'm talking about Soups I LIKE even... like Chunky Soups and such. Those are amazingly low cal.
Salads are a no-brainer. But I love them sooo much.

Subs are famed because of Jared, but I was looking at the footlong FitChoice subs yesterday and I was honestly floored with how few calories they have.

I really thought it'd be harder than this to find foods I'd LIKE that were low calorie.

Anyone else found some great foods that are surprisingly low cal that help you diet happily?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I find Subway to be sneakily unhealthy. They are marketing geniuses when it comes to selling themselves as healthy. They are pretty much all about high sodium processed meats, high sodium bread, and every bread has an ingredient list a mile long. It's OK in a pinch but I wouldn't rely on eating there too often. You can make your own sandwich for way less calories.

Soups are a great low cal choice. I make a lot of homemade ones and freeze into portion for quick meals later on. I even make a broccoli and cheese one that is low cal (the secret is adding some cheddar and pureeing a can of cannellini beans in the soup for the "creamy" texture) thanks to an Eating Well recipe.

I have also been happy with sandwich thins (I buy the Whole Foods brand that are 100 calories, I think all of the other brands are about the same) to reduce calories. Same with Garden City Flax Wraps (90 calories). For my lunch today, I had salmon salad (like tuna with canned salmon) on a flax wrap with lettuce for 180 calories!