Blood type diet.

Options
Hey all, a friend of mine told me bout this diet which based on your blood type. I'm type O+ and according to the guidelines I'm a carnivore, and hence need to consume a lot of meat. Wheat based products are a big no no as well as dairy products. Has anyone tried this diet before? Does it work? I've been eating healthily by switching white breads to those wholewheat ones, low fat milk & low fat yogurt and I like it. A bit reluctant to let these go. Thoughts pls. :smile:

Replies

• maemalcy
    maemalcy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey all, a friend of mine told me bout this diet which based on your blood type. I'm type O+ and according to the guidelines I'm a carnivore, and hence need to consume a lot of meat. Wheat based products are a big no no as well as dairy products. Has anyone tried this diet before? Does it work? I've been eating healthily by switching white breads to those wholewheat ones, low fat milk & low fat yogurt and I like it. A bit reluctant to let these go. Thoughts pls. :smile:
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    It sounds like a fad to me... and as such, I don't think it would be too effective in the long run.

I could be wrong though.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    The man that runs our health food store was talking about this a while ago. My husband's shiatsu therapist also has studied it. When you think about it , it makes good sense. I know there is a book written on it and there is stuff on-line too. Research it more if it works for you
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate it is. I am O+ as well and am vegetarian. I get plenty of protein and have lost over 30 pounds since January. Maybe it helps some people, but I can't imagine eating meat to comply with my blood type. I think that it all just boils down to how many calories you take in a day and how much you burn.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who tried this and it didn't work. Also, it told her to cut out a lot of lean meat like chicken and pork.

I'm not expert but it sounds ridiculous to me. I don't like any diet that insists you have to exclude any healthy options. Come to think of it I don't like "diets" at all . Seems to me that eating healthy, working out and allowing yourself the occassional indulgence makes the most sense. But that's just my two sense.

Good luck :happy:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I don't know how accurate it is. I am O+ as well and am vegetarian. I get plenty of protein and have lost over 30 pounds since January. Maybe it helps some people, but I can't imagine eating meat to comply with my blood type. I think that it all just boils down to how many calories you take in a day and how much you burn.

O+ veggie right here too. If milk would have been bad for us, why would our mothers breastfeed and not go club a passing antelope for us? :laugh:
  • snugglybare
    snugglybare Posts: 30
    Options
    There is a book called EAT RIGHT FOR YOUR BODY TYPE.

I have read this book front to back several times. About 5 years ago a co-worker told me about this, it's written by a doctor. I too was skeptical at first. And it's not really a book to lose weight, but by eating right they say that it can be a side efttect. It sounded like a good side effect to mee, so I read the book.

At first my mother told me I was an O+, so I started to eat lots of red meat, etc...I felt like crap!!!!
    So, I went to the doc's and had him type me....I AM an A+....the almost exact opposite of an O.

My type is supposed to be a veggitarian with restricted chicken intake, and lots of salmon. I LOVE :heart: salmon.

When I was reading all of the foods I should avoid. It clicked I started thinking about all of the foods that made me burp, or have heartburn, or feel bloated. ALL of the foods that make me SICK :sick:
    are the exact foods I'm not supposed to have! :laugh:

It took me until now, and gaining 15lbs from not eating right to get FED UP!
    I WAS SOOOOO SICK .....OF ALWAYS FEELING SICK. after eating..:mad:

So in January this year, I started to EAT RIGHT for MY BLOOD TYPE AGAIN. I dropped 5lbs.
    At this same time I started P90X, I was feeling less bloated so working out was easier for me.

Now I'm down past my first goal and headed to my final goal, 8 lbs away.
    NOW I ENJOY :love: MY FOOD! I don't feel crappy any more after eating.
    I can sleep through the night without being woken up to HEARTBURN.
    My food digest ssooooo much easier.

So, in conclusion losing weight was a side effect for me with this diet.
    I REAP the BENIFITS in SOOO MANY OTHER WAYS!!!

READ THE BOOK, then decide if it's something you should try. MINE IS ALWAYS INMY KITCHEN.
    Now I have it almost committed to memory and out of habit it gets easier to know what to avoid.
    I DONT MISS ANYTHING I'm not supposed to eat.

GOOD LUCK !! :flowerforyou:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options

Mine is A and it says to eliminate meat from my diet

okay :laugh: someone got my blood type mixed up at birth then, wanna trade? :laugh:
  • lulubenmom
    lulubenmom Posts: 45
    Options
    Funny, I just picked up this book tonight and read most of it.

The interesting part is the fact that you can test tp see that certain blood types have antigens to some food groups, making a scientific case it seems, as to why some people are sensitive to some foods.

I'm type O and apparently should avoid gluten and dairy. This makes sense as they do affect my digestion and I've benefited in the past going on a gluten free diet, This is not a calorie restrictive diet, just based on what your body "likes" or "doesn't like" so responds with antigens has digestive difficulties. It also mentioned type O often have low Thyroid issues, which I've wondered if I have ad I know my mother did, some foods that type O should avoid apparently interfere the Thyroid hormones and you need to add iodine to the diet.

I'm going to attempt to try it over the next two weeks as the book suggests and see if it works for me.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Actually that might explain why I've slowly backing away from meat for the most part and have preferred to eat veggies and fruits more often. I even made a tofu dish this week and it was delicious
  • maemalcy
    maemalcy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the thoughts given on this topic. i have google(d) extensively on the net and im not really convinced to follow this diet. i will continue with my calories counting and eating healthily with good amount of exercise... :)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

O+ veggie right here too. If milk would have been bad for us, why would our mothers breastfeed and not go club a passing antelope for us? :laugh:

I think they mean cow's milk.....That is a whole different discussion on its benefits to humans