Weight gain after hysterectomy

Options
I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago, and have had so much more of a hard time losing weight since that time. I do not take hormone replacement therapy, as I still have my ovaries.... but wonder if that has affected anyone else's weight gain?? It seems like I have to make double the effort since that time to lose any weight.

Replies

• Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I put on 40 pounds immediately after my hysterectomy (they took my ovaries). Nothing I read anywhere said that gaining weight was a side effect, but when I mentioned it to my sister-in-law the nurse she said it was very common.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I put on 40 pounds immediately after my hysterectomy (they took my ovaries). Nothing I read anywhere said that gaining weight was a side effect, but when I mentioned it to my sister-in-law the nurse she said it was very common.

I had heard it was pretty common, but all the women in my family have had one but they didn't gain weight... they lost. I guess I am the one stuck with the fat gene... :sad: Just curious how others have dealt with it. Other than the weight gain... it was the best thing I have ever done. lol
  • mandimommy
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 10 months ago and in the past year have lost 22 pounds. I still have my ovaries. I have cleaned my diet up and work out 5-6 days/week. I am so glad I did it at the same time I committed to being healthier overall. After having three kids and that surgery in less than 6 years, it was definitely time!
  • norawcoffey
    Options
    The average weight gain the first year after hysterectomy is 25 lbs.! If your ovaries were removed, it may be slightly more. The metabolism slows down after hysterectomy, which means the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to reduce the quantity of food you eat at every meal, and exercise four or five days a week. A great exercise is jumping rope. It costs about $4-6, you can jump rope indoors or out, it's portable and easily fits into a backpack. It's an excellent way to build muscle, it's good for your bones, and an excellent cardiovascular workout. If you jump with your feet together, instead of one foot after the other, it will be better for your knees and hips.

The goal is to jump until you get tired, then stop. It is not a no pain no gain exercise.

You will notice an improvement in muscle tone in about two weeks, and if you reduce the quantity of food you're eating you will slowly lose weight. If you plateau at a weight that is still more than you want to carry, take another quarter of food off your plate at every meal and save it for the next meal.

You can read what women report about weight gain after hysterectomy at hersfoundation.com, and click on the "Adverse Effects Data".
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I gained 30lbs after having a hysterectomy. I have diligently tried to lose weight and get healthier since the first of this year (before that I would try for a couple months and get discouraged when the scales didnt change.) but so far I have plateaued. I still have at least 20 lbs more to lose. I am going to buy a jump rope. After reading that post, I am willing to try!
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good to know. I am SO SO SO nervous about this. I'm having a hysterectomy next week and don't want to gain weight. I eat healty and gernerally about 1000-1200 calories a day, so I can't really cut calories anymore but hopefully recovery goes quickly and I can get back to walking A lot!!!! I have a broken tailbone right now so a lot of strenuous exercise is out of the question for a while. (All due to complications during delivery of my precious little girl). She's worth it all though. Hopefully eating right will really help with the not gaining part and then after recovery, getting back to working out will help me lose some. I got 10-15 lbs to lose, and need to do it ASAP!
  • sandygettingfit
    sandygettingfit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy in January (kept my ovaries) and have not added any weight. I just got on board (again) and am totally committed to losing the 20 pounds I had to lose before the hysterectomy. My plan is to do the 30 day shred for 30 days in the evenings, adding in the walking DVD with Leslie Sansone in the morning before work and one day of hiking on the weekend. My eating habits have been horrible and I didn't gain any weight. Good luck!