Lifters: Super stupid question...

Options
What causes itchy eyes when lifting? It happens when I'm hitting the last few reps of a challenging weight on stuff like deadlifts and squats; you know, when you're really digging for it and actually feel the blood vessels in your neck and forehead expand? My eyes itch like CRAZY!

Am I just a freak?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yeah, something blood vessel related. Are you exhaling when you lift?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Valsalva maneuver. Basically exhaling with your mouth closed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced that, probably just the blood vessels dialating
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Vasvalva maneuver. Basically exhaling with your mouth closed.

IDEA Fitness member

So I'm maybe not breathing through it as well as I think?
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, "you're super freaky" ~to music~

I love to lift as well and have just started last week to train with a coach. I can't wait till I breath through my eyes!!! You go!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Possibly.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    sorry to jack your thread, but this just reminded of a scene from Bull Durham

Larry: [Larry jogs out to the mound to break up a players' conference] Excuse me, but what the hell's going on out here?
    Crash Davis: Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man's here. We need a live... is it a live rooster?
    [Jose nods]
    Crash Davis: . We need a live rooster to take the curse off Jose's glove and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present.
    [to the players]
    Crash Davis: Is that about right?
    [the players nod]
    Crash Davis: We're dealing with a lot of ****.
    Larry: Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em.

:laugh:
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Thanks! I'll add that to my list of things to focus on!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Made a correction: it's VALSALVA MANEUVER.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jarrettd
    Options
    yeah, google caught that and offered me the correction...I can only see the titles of the articles from work, tho. Have to look it up when I get home.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The Valsalva maneuver or Valsalva manoeuvre is performed by moderately forceful attempted exhalation against a closed airway, usually done by closing one's mouth, pinching one's nose shut while bearing down as if having a bowel movement. Variations of the maneuver can be used either in medical examination as a test of cardiac function and autonomic nervous control of the heart, or to "clear" the ears and sinuses (that is, to equalize pressure between them) when ambient pressure changes, as in diving, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, or aviation.

The technique is named after Antonio Maria Valsalva,[1] a 17th-century physician and anatomist from Bologna whose principal scientific interest was the human ear. He described the Eustachian tube and the maneuver to test its patency (openness). He also described the use of this maneuver to expel pus from the middle ear.

A modified version is done by expiring against a closed glottis. This will elicit the cardiovascular responses described below but will not force air into the Eustachian tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver

Sounds like that might be it if your nose is stopped up and your mouth is closed.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Yea I just saw this but everyone pretty much already hit on the nose it's more than likely something involving your breathing. If not though and it continues after you try to correct it I would definitely consider seeking a physicians opinion.
  • jarrettd
    Options
    Thanks, folks! At least it seems less likely that I'm a mutant, and more like I'm a novice lifter!