How do I get over the fear of running in the real world in f

Options
I am absolutely terrified of going outside on a jog. I don't want to be judged. But I know I need to do it to get fit! I know I already have stamina as I jog on the spot for extended periods indoors but I now want to branch out and actually RUN.

Any suggestions?

Thanks gang

Replies

• liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Take comfort that a lot of people feel the same way and they are out there doing it. :)
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    do it? never know till you try. Focus on your breathing or stride, may help keep your mind off of the other people.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Give it a go. I was the same until very recently. I have always respected people out running, but was scared to be judged for being so un-fit. Recently, I went for it. I got a few smiles, and I felt good to be out there being one of the runners that impress me so much. I can't run for more than a minute, usually much less, but nobody cares.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Step one- Go to biker bar.
    Step two- Find angry biker.
    Step three- Slap biker.
    Enjoy!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    You could start by going out super early (there may be fewer people out and about, and it's darker). Then build up your confidence to go out in broad daylight. Shouldn't take too long to get over that initial fear :smile:
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    put your head phones in, blast the music and enjoy yourself!!!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started c25k. Fortunately it was January and by the time I was finished work and able to go out it was dark outside - I ran like a ninja...stealthy!

Even now when I'm out doing intervals or slow jogging to cool down it feels a bit funny when I see people looking at me. What are they thinking..."I could walk faster than that"..."she's not a very good runner"...

But I know what I'm doing and I don't give a *kitten* what they think. And I now run in daylight, so :tongue: to them!
  • chuckiephudd
    chuckiephudd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't worry i feel the same way, its different out there and now that i have shed 23 lbs. i feel the same, i can get 30 minutes on the elliptical and the same on the treadmill, but feel really up tight out in the real world, when I do go out it is dark, and it is just me and my tunes, I am slowly working on daylight adventures but not quit yet lol!!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've found that the reality is you're invisible when running, most people completely ignore you and those who may stare or make a snide comments are just manifesting their jealousy that you are making positive changes your life and they aren't. Don't be surprised if other runners give you a little wave or nod - you'll be joining a great club.

You wouldn't believe how self-conscious I was the first few times I ran in running tights (at 200 + pounds I'm not exactly svelte) and then it dawned on me......nobody (except my kids who still laugh at me) cares.
  • kstone70
    kstone70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My brother was very overweight when he decided to jog outside for the first time. A jeep full of teenagers drove by and threw an apple at him and yelled "RUN FAT BOY RUN!" He was devastated. How cruel those teenagers were! However, it gave him the fuel to keep running, and running, and running. In the last year he has lost 115 pounds and looks FANTASTIC. Don't care what others think. Think about how great you will feel when you shed those pounds. If someone does judge you, who cares? YOU are strong, and can do this. I run outside about 4 days per week. When I see other people out running, no matter who they are, we always give each other a smile or a thumbs up. Most runners are really supportive of other people :)
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

This ^^^ and I think you will enjoy it more then running on a treadmill or in spot.. ;)
    I know I do!!!! Good Luck Sweetie xoxo
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Wear sunglasses and hat, take music. You won't notice others. Good luck, running is great!
  • perfectlioness
    Options
    I feel ya! I just started on MFP last week and started up an exercise routine. One of the things I wanted to do for awhile was add in some jogging to my walking. I was so embarrassed about running in public, I was going to ask friends/family if I could use their treadmills. But last week when I started, I thought, I am just going to go to the park and kick some @$$! I realized it doesn't matter how I look doing it, because I am doing it! No matter how slow you are, you are lapping everyone on the couch!! :-) Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am, too. I know now that my gym membership has expired, I can't rely on walks with dog and DVDs too much - or, I don't really WANT to. But, I am like that picture - what you feel you look like when you are running - and what you actually look like...like a fat, fumbling dork. Sorry, but it's how I feel.

I might try running at night, with my dog. Less people to see me, and not in the harsh light of day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

*****Warning, my personal opinion only******

Wearing headphones is fine when you're indoors on your treadmill and you don't need to use your hearing to alert you to oncoming traffic, wearing your mp3 player - especially with the volume cranked up - while running outdoors puts you at risk (and don't get me started about cyclists wearing theirs.....)

While I'm on my soapbox, wear high visibility clothing while running outdoors - fluorescent yellow/green makes a real fashion statement but could save your life. You want to be seen.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When i first started running i used to get dressed in my running gear and sit around the house trying to get the guts up to run outdoors before deciding that the washing up, hoovering etc was more important.

Then one day i got dressed for a run i stepped outside and my neighbour who was hanging out her washing (she's about 70 years old) said to me 'i wish i could still run' after that i felt lucky that i could run even if it was only for a minute or two at first.

I apply that quote to everything i do.
    Might as well use the stairs while i still can.
    Might as well ride my bike while i still can.

I think of all the people that can't do things many take for granted and that pushes me to make the most of what i have and what i can do.

I also realised quite quickly that the only people who stare are the envious ones, and if someone heckles from a car i give them a wave and smile cause i know i'm not a moron
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am very impressed when I see overweight people jogging. Good for them! Inspires me even more!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Step one- Go to biker bar.
    Step two- Find angry biker.
    Step three- Slap biker.
    Enjoy!

HA!!!!!
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    II am much more self conscious on the treadmill or elliptical at the gym. Outside on the road, I am moving and so are other people, I feel I have more anonymity; in the gym, we're all just looking at each other. I am trying to get over myself, but I don't like to really get my sweat on in the gym, its so unlady like.

With that being said, I think it's awesome and I envy those women who are dripping with sweat, but for me, I feel weird sweating like that; I feel like I'm out of shape.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Go to a school and use the track in the eve before dusk but after the teens are done