to the outdoorsman

Options
would you or do wear a heart rate monitor while hunting or fishing?

i would during small game, because of all the walking. but for deer, i use my climber. but at the same time, carring a climber, gear bag, weapon, wearing boots and thicker cloths gets heavy after so long of walking. and, dragging a deer out of the woods can burn cals. would it be to much of a pain in *kitten* to worry about?

Replies

• jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    I would probably wear it once for each type of hunting/fishing trip, to get an approximation... then I'd just guestimate from there. I don't have a HRM yet, but when I do that's one of the things I wanted to appease my curiosity about. =D
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    That makes it too much like work.
  • chasero
    chasero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    nah man, don't worry about the heart rate monitor during hunting and fishing. I wouldn't want to put time aside to prepare for measuring out or keeping track of fitness while I'm fishing or hunting. I'd think of it as unaccounted burn measurement. You're right though, carrying equipment through woods gets heavy after a while, dragging medium-sized to large game through woods is also good for fitness, but I'd say it happens far too few and in between through an entire year to worry about recording the details from something that's supposed to be leisure or something. My two cents on it bro. Wouldn't worry about recording anything while huntin or fishing since they aren't fitness oriented.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I do not wear a heart monitor.I do a lot of fishing and some of the places I go I have to hike in quite a bit. I use my pedometer occasionally for these times. But I don't worry about it as it is fun time.
  • hxcburrito
    Options
    nah man, don't worry about the heart rate monitor during hunting and fishing. I wouldn't want to put time aside to prepare for measuring out or keeping track of fitness while I'm fishing or hunting. I'd think of it as unaccounted burn measurement. You're right though, carrying equipment through woods gets heavy after a while, dragging medium-sized to large game through woods is also good for fitness, but I'd say it happens far too few and in between through an entire year to worry about recording the details from something that's supposed to be leisure or something. My two cents on it bro. Wouldn't worry about recording anything while huntin or fishing since they aren't fitness oriented.

thats what my wife says. not worth wasting the time keeping track with as little effort needs to be put in and its leisure. but then i think about walking with the gear. but, i guess walking with the gear burns off the small breakfast, lol
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do it once just out of curiosity, but not every day!! There are times when we hike for hours and hours, so I would be interested to see!!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I never thought about wearing a heart rate monitor while hunting or fishing but I did think about it just yesterday as I was sweating my butt off walking up and down steep and rugged hills in 70 + temps all day while antler hunting.
    2012sheds.png
  • hxcburrito
    Options
    i wish i had 70 degree weather and rugged hils to walk around in. ive never seen any antlers in my years of hunting. wish i could find me some
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    would you or do wear a heart rate monitor while hunting or fishing?

i would during small game, because of all the walking. but for deer, i use my climber. but at the same time, carring a climber, gear bag, weapon, wearing boots and thicker cloths gets heavy after so long of walking. and, dragging a deer out of the woods can burn cals. would it be to much of a pain in *kitten* to worry about?

might have to try this next pheasant season
  • mkayb1
    mkayb1 Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't get enough of a calorie burn to track hoofing it out to my deerstand; since it's pretty much in my back yard. But, when a big buck goes by, it does get the heart rate up... Could that count as cardio? :smile:
    But, small game I track as exercise, as walking. Especially on a cold day, burn even more calories staying warm!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i wish i had 70 degree weather and rugged hils to walk around in. ive never seen any antlers in my years of hunting. wish i could find me some
    Cant help you with the 70 degree weather cause its rare in PA. and OH. in March aswell but you live in MI., there are lots of antlers laying on the ground right now for you to find.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Depends.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of stalking or if I have a long walk into my stand then I would. Or if I'm bird hunting where there is a lot of walking I would. If you're mostly going to be stationary, no.