Tips for a less processed diet? Please help.

Options
Mdin1029
Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
Hi everyone. I have been doing pretty well on MFP to stay under my 1400 calories. I also exercise 6 days a week. I am at a healthy weight for my height and gender. The only problem is that I still have very low energy and I know my food choices are to blame. I have been trying to eat more veggies, more fruit, and limit white flour. My beverages are usually just water.

I was wondering if anyone has tips on what you think would be a perfect day of breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks that includes very little processed foods, lots of nutrients, and isn't too time consuming? I am ready to make a serious change.

Thanks!

PS- if you look at my diary, today's diary is extra bad because I had instant noodle soup (twice), but I do not have this on a usual basis, haven't had it in years actually, I eat it only when I am feeling sick (which I realized today is stupid)

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When we switched to a whole foods diet, I found mindless eating to be the easiest, so the crock pot of course became my best friend. It is a great way to make low-maintenance meals. One of my favorites: frozen sweet corn, 3 or 4 chopped roma tomatoes, a couple of cans of black beans, a jar of mild green salsa, a carton of low-sodium chicken broth, and a packet of organic taco seasoning. Put it all in the crock, set on low all day while you are at work. Serve over brown rice (I am a lazy bum and I make this in an electric rice cooker so it is also ready when I get home, LOL!).

Here's a great website to get you inspired! http://www.100daysofrealfood.com

Easiest crock pot meal ever? Spray the crock with Pam, put an entire frozen fryer chicken inside, sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning, set on high for 4-6 hours, and DONE! Seriously, the most moist roasted chicken ever! Falling off the bone! Use the leftovers in a chicken tortilla soup in the crock the next day! You can do this!

My diary is open, feel free to ask me about anything in it!
  • stephie932
    Options
    Hi i am new and i need friends!
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to make the change over to eating mostly whole foods as well. I also make a lot of meals in my crock pot now.. it's a very convenient way to make your own convenience meals out of whole foods. I have also found a lot of recipes online that use only whole foods.

I love having pancake day every Sunday morning and was sad to have to give it up. Then I found a delicious pancake recipe using butternut squash, almond meal, eggs and pure maple syrup.. so pancake day is back! And they were delicious!

If you want I can send you the links to some awesome sites that have really good recipes only using whole and natural ingredients. i have been printing a ton of them lately and putting them in a binder to make my own whole foods cook book lol

Let me know if you want the links! :)

Ohhh and stephie I sent you a friend request!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I grill up lots of veggies and meat of your choice (I'm a vegetarian so mine is tofu). Then through out the week I take it to lunch with Whole wheat pasta or brown rice, Just mix in some tomatoes and seasoning

I also use the crockpot for all sorts of things. Big pot of veggie soup (any vegetable goes into this one) and I can freeze it and just eat it as I need to (you can add chicken to this if desired).

For snacking, I cut up a big bag of veggies on the weekend and just snack on these with hummus.
  • perfectlioness
    Options
    Are you healthy otherwise? I ask this because I found out recently that I am severely anemic, and this is probably causing my fatigue.
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    When we switched to a whole foods diet, I found mindless eating to be the easiest, so the crock pot of course became my best friend. It is a great way to make low-maintenance meals. One of my favorites: frozen sweet corn, 3 or 4 chopped roma tomatoes, a couple of cans of black beans, a jar of mild green salsa, a carton of low-sodium chicken broth, and a packet of organic taco seasoning. Put it all in the crock, set on low all day while you are at work. Serve over brown rice (I am a lazy bum and I make this in an electric rice cooker so it is also ready when I get home, LOL!).

Here's a great website to get you inspired! http://www.100daysofrealfood.com

Easiest crock pot meal ever? Spray the crock with Pam, put an entire frozen fryer chicken inside, sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning, set on high for 4-6 hours, and DONE! Seriously, the most moist roasted chicken ever! Falling off the bone! Use the leftovers in a chicken tortilla soup in the crock the next day! You can do this!

My diary is open, feel free to ask me about anything in it!

Thank you so much for all of the tips! I will check out that site for sure!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well, I think your body tries to tell you stuff if you listen to it, and if I have a cold all I want is chicken noodle soup, hot and sour soup, and plain white boiled rice. Which is no doubt nutritionally crap, but it's what I want for a few days until I feel a bit better. There used to be lots of ideas about what to feed invalids, and maybe they weren't always wrong just because they're out of fashion now... anyway next time I feel sick that's what I'll be having!

Anyway - less processed? Well I do use fresh tuna/canned tuna in water, and organic chicken as major sources of protein. I cook a lot of brown rice, giant wholeweat cous cous, and spinach pasta. Fresh veggies are easy, if you allow maybe some frozen (I use peas, sweetcorn and edame mainly). Then I have fresh veggies in the fridge - onions, butternut squash, red peppers, broccoli, carrots, mange tout, asparagus, tomatoes spinach etcc are favourites, just depending what looks good and fresh on the day.

A shelf of herbs and spices is a great accessory.

Then it's really surpising how many things you can quickly create as a stir fry, bake, or casserole with really over much thought - not much is going to go too far wrong really.

I'm not sure that counts really as low-processed though as it includes frozen and canned goods. Personally as long they don't have additives I don't care, but I'm sure others disagree.

Snacks are harder...
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    I have been trying to make the change over to eating mostly whole foods as well. I also make a lot of meals in my crock pot now.. it's a very convenient way to make your own convenience meals out of whole foods. I have also found a lot of recipes online that use only whole foods.

I love having pancake day every Sunday morning and was sad to have to give it up. Then I found a delicious pancake recipe using butternut squash, almond meal, eggs and pure maple syrup.. so pancake day is back! And they were delicious!

If you want I can send you the links to some awesome sites that have really good recipes only using whole and natural ingredients. i have been printing a ton of them lately and putting them in a binder to make my own whole foods cook book lol

Thanks!! I would not have guessed that crock pot was a trick of the whole foods trade. Yes I would love the website links please!
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Are you healthy otherwise? I ask this because I found out recently that I am severely anemic, and this is probably causing my fatigue.

I should get a physical to find out for sure. Thanks!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options

I'd like the links please! Always glad of new recipes as I tend to make things up as I go long. Sometimes it's quite hard to translate American recipes but if they're wholefoods that should be easier and the reading would help me on the way as a change of ideas always helps
  • Mdin1029
    Options
    Well, I think your body tries to tell you stuff if you listen to it, and if I have a cold all I want is chicken noodle soup, hot and sour soup, and plain white boiled rice. Which is no doubt nutritionally crap, but it's what I want for a few days until I feel a bit better. There used to be lots of ideas about what to feed invalids, and maybe they weren't always wrong just because they're out of fashion now... anyway next time I feel sick that's what I'll be having!

Anyway - less processed? Well I do use fresh tuna/canned tuna in water, and organic chicken as major sources of protein. I cook a lot of brown rice, giant wholeweat cous cous, and spinach pasta. Fresh veggies are easy, if you allow maybe some frozen (I use peas, sweetcorn and edame mainly). Then I have fresh veggies in the fridge - onions, butternut squash, red peppers, broccoli, carrots, mange tout, asparagus, tomatoes spinach etcc are favourites, just depending what looks good and fresh on the day.

A shelf of herbs and spices is a great accessory.

Then it's really surpising how many things you can quickly create as a stir fry, bake, or casserole with really over much thought - not much is going to go too far wrong really.

I'm not sure that counts really as low-processed though as it includes frozen and canned goods. Personally as long they don't have additives I don't care, but I'm sure others disagree.

Snacks are harder...
    [/quote

Thanks for the tips! True, casseroles almost always taste great without much effort :)
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I try my best for a low processed diet, but it is soooooo hard! And it is sooooo easy to open a package!

I am excited to see some of the posts that you get for this :)

One thing that I track is sodium, which helps me stay at least with minimally processed foods.

On Sunday I do cut up veggies for the week for snacks.
    One of my fav meals is to take a chicken breast, place it in foil and add as many fresh veggies as you want and a little...fold it up and stick it in the oven or on the grill for about an hour. You can eat it right out of the foil packet so no clean up.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    We try to eat as little processed food as possible. My only concessions to this are bread (whole grain) and pita pockets because I don't have the time to make them myself. We eat a lot of eggs (from a farm), I cook in the crock pot several times a week and I always make extra portions for lunches.

My favorite recipe right now - Seasoned rice:

1/2 cube vegetable bullion
    1 cup brown rice
    1/2 shallot, diced
    1 tsp olive oil
    salt (to taste)
    2 cups water

Heat your saucepan and add oil. When oil is hot, add shallots and sautee until light brown. Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add buillion and stir to dissolve. Add rice and cook according to package. Enjoy!
  • Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    Google is my BEST FRIEND. I am going through a horrible time losing weight....I've been here for 3 weeks and I'm not noticing a difference. Someone told me it's all the processed foods I use. So, I went digging. In a meat-and-potatoes man-heavy family (my brother and my husband live with me), we like a lot of Hamburger Helper, Banquet Homestyle Bakes, frozen pizzas and tacos.

Just looked up recipes today to make ALL of them. Not only are they cost efficient, but NO PRESERVATIVES (if you let it)! Tacos are the easy part though...just substitute ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.

Another thing I love are quick grabs, like Cliff bars, 100 calorie brownies and Special K bars. Found recipes for all of those, too!

I'm also trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables. If all else fails, I'm getting some of that V8 Fusion. It's a full serving of fruits and vegetables per 8 oz glass. It's processed but at least I'll be getting it in.
  • jamesstill
    Options
    You want to choose non-processed, nutrient-dense, low-fat food with very little (or no) meat. Here's an ideal day:

Breakfast: a couple pieces of fruit, 1 c. oatmeal
    Lunch: a gigantic bowl of salad greens, mushrooms, fresh vegetables, no cheese, no salad dressing and legumes
    Afternoon snack: apple or banana
    Dinner: lots of steamed fresh vegetables (chard, kale, collards, peppers, etc. etc. lots of colors) with tofu and 1/2 c. of brown rice with a piece of fruit for dessert. A tiny bit of olive oil is ok here.

For example today for lunch I recorded this: 2 cups raw organic lettuce, 1 can Westbrae Natural organic black lentils (with 2 tsps of Wizard's brand vegan Worcestershire sauce mixed in for flavor), and microwaved 2 packages of frozen vegetables (one each of Cascadia Farms organic california-style blend and gardener's blend). Finally I put a teaspoon of flax seed meal on top for omega 3. Beware of salad dressing. I use balsamic vinegar which is awesome. This was 641 calories (hey I'm a big guy), nutrient-dense, loaded with fiber, fat-free, and very filling.

ELEVATOR PITCH: prefer fresh (or frozen) fruits and vegetables, stay away from all processed food, meat, sugar and salt. And maybe do some yoga a few times a week. Everything else is just commentary (or a means to sell you a book or a video).
  • angelasmith230
    Options

Thanks!! I would not have guessed that crock pot was a trick of the whole foods trade. Yes I would love the website links please!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on here or not. If not then I will PM the links to you :)
  • angelasmith230
    Options
    PM'ed you the links! :)
  • crazydv
    crazydv Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I also would like to eat less processed foods and just love all the ideas and recipes listed here...thank you
  • alexeleni
    Options
    The biggest thing is controlling what goes into your food--I love eating out and I used to eat a lot of processed crap, but it's amazing how much yumminess you can have that is still good for you. Even decadent things like french toast are so much better when you make them at home, than the processed kind.

I started a cooking blog to keep myself motivated. So far, it's kind of small, but I am focusing on easy, yummy recipes anyone can make with a minimum of processed crap, and I put the nutrition facts on there too. Let me know what you think if you like, I'd love to know!
    http://www.savorysweetie.com
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I tend to substitute spread with raw veggie/fruit slices and I switched completely to using whole grain products like pasta, bread and rice.
    I love frozen fruits because I can just put them in a blender, add a bit milk/yogurt and honey and have a delicious substitute for ice cream.
    If I am not in the mood to do a lot of cooking, I open a glass of pasta sauce and add fresh or frozen veggies.
    Beans are also a good and filling source of fiber and protein, you might wanna fill up your pantries.
    Also, to cut back on juice I mix it half/half with water.

Hope that helps a bit :)