What I really want to know is...

Quasita
Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
what do you think about the following:

I am developing an organization for MFPers and people of similar states of mind, that focuses on providing a low cost clothing exchange and a lottery type drawing to award clothing shopping sprees when a person reaches their goal weight.

My question is, would this community appreciate such an organization? My description is here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Quasita/view/my-big-people-clothes-organization-225618

The short and sweet idea is that I want to provide everyone a way to trade, donate, and buy clothes for people of size at a fraction of the cost of going to the store. We all know how expensive big & tall stores can be, especially when you get up there. We all need clothes though...

Anyway, this is not really selling or anything because I'm proposing a non-profit type situation. If I generate enough interest, I will move forward with the legalities and everything but I don't want to invest the time and money in doing so if people hate the idea.

Please let me know!!

Also, if you love the idea, make sure to upvote the blog post so that people there and on the forums can see. It's great that I already have 5 people on board, as well as some of my coworkers. How fantastic!

Replies

• Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Sounds really awesome. I live in New Zealand though, so it could be hard for people all over MFP to get involved.
  • I LOVE IT...AWSOME IDEA...where have you been:)
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    it sounds like a very good idea :) i have clothes from where i started at a size 24, and i hope i won't ever have to see them again!

last fall when i hit 50lb lost (and subsequently gained a bunch back over the holidays *sad*) i took a pile of clothes into the salvation army store, and then restocked (for all of 35 dollars) with a few pairs of jeans in varying sizes, a few shirts, and a dress.

i still have that size 16 pair of jeans hanging up as motivation!
  • A Big and Tall Goodwill sort of thing?

(xD One of the biggest reasons I'm losing weight is to shop for clothes at normal places.)
  • Quasita
    Sounds really awesome. I live in New Zealand though, so it could be hard for people all over MFP to get involved.

Honestly, I have been thinking about the international aspect, and there are a couple of workarounds for that. Either I could find volunteer(s) in the various countries to be a centralized location OR I was thinking that if I could get it worked out cost wise, postage could be reimbursed from the item sales, particularly for those that live outside the US.

I would have to see how it works out and how much demand there is in various places. At the very least, we could focus on helping people in say, New Zealand, meetup for these exchanges in person.

I know here in the US there are localized groups but say, for me personally, there's no place to really obtain large size second hand clothes for me because I'm either too big, or too tall. However, I know there are MFPers that are my height or taller. Just thinking, man, if I could get some big and tall mens workout pants for cheap, that would be amazing :)
  • Quasita
    A Big and Tall Goodwill sort of thing?

(xD One of the biggest reasons I'm losing weight is to shop for clothes at normal places.)

Exactly! The idea being that we all need to downsize, and we could recycle these clothes to people that could really appreciate having them at a low cost!

I think I'd be open to bras too, only because they are super expensive too, but I'm saying no on the undies haha :)

When you think about it, there are so many kinds of clothes we need that we are going to shrink out of.. hats, shoes, coats, etc etc. I think it would be fun to see how far around the world some of our clothes go! :)
This discussion has been closed.