Plank from knees...

Options
who else feels like a loser doing this at the gym?

It's what my trainer told me to do since I have the strength of a drunken baby.
And I understand that in time I'll gain strength to do it from my toes....

BUT GOOD GRAVY do I feel like a loser when I do them from my knees in front of all these super fit ladies. lol

Replies

• onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nah, everyone has their strengths and struggles. I'm not awesome at pushups- espeically within the midst of a workout. Then again, I workout at home and the only people (yes people) who see, are my cats.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Don't feel that way! U r doing something! There are plenty of people at the gym completely not giving much ambition at all and there are others who r just starting out and can't do much but are trying so u r doing great just by giving it what u got! Be proud! u could be sitting on they couch doing nothing but your not! :flowerforyou:
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

BUT GOOD GRAVY do I feel like a loser when I do them from my knees in front of all these super fit ladies. lol

I'd love to have the strength of a drunken baby! My 18 month old daughter beat me the other day in a game of tug-o-war (aka: don't put that in your mouth!!). My husband just shook his head at me...
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I just feel like it doesn't really do much... I get that it's helping you work up to the full-blown hold-it-forever plank... but when I'm doing it, I feel like I'm taking a cheat break (Because it's just so much easier than the regular plank position).
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

I'd love to have the strength of a drunken baby! My 18 month old daughter beat me the other day in a game of tug-o-war (aka: don't put that in your mouth!!). My husband just shook his head at me...

HAHAH babies are acutally quite strong, little buggers, I think that's why my husband always says "drunken baby"
  • misskerouac
    Options
    I just feel like it doesn't really do much... I get that it's helping you work up to the full-blown hold-it-forever plank... but when I'm doing it, I feel like I'm taking a cheat break (Because it's just so much easier than the regular plank position).

Yes, but you probably have a stronger core than I do, from my knees after 20-30 seconds I start shaking. I literally CANNOT do a full plank. I get up there and pretty much go right back down. For people like me, it's not a cheat break, it's hard.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm really big and have a lot to lose so I'd have to do it on me knees too (sounds kinda dirty!). My dogs would be the one watching me at home too, so at least they aren't judging! hehe. You are trying and you will get there eventually. I started off only able to go 5 minutes on the elliptical and I've gotten to 15-20 over a period of 2 months or so. It just takes time :)
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I'm still trying to imagine what a drunken baby looks like lol......eventually you'll build up your core enough so that you'll be doing the full planks....keep it up and remember not to worry about what anyone else thinks. Most of the people at my gym are too busy trying to do their own thing that they don't even notice me even when I think they do.
  • misskerouac
    Options
    It's just one of those things where when I do it I have to keep telling myself "you're doing this to get better, you're doing this to get better, yes you look like a weakling but you're doing this to get better"

I'm just glad I work out in the women's section lol
  • chelltune
    chelltune Posts: 17
    Options
    Up until the last week or so I couldn't hold my weight at all. I've been doing the 30 Day Shred and for the first time in my life I can do proper pressups. My arms kill trying to hold myself but I am getting there. Keep trying and hopefully you'll be the same.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I do it from my toes but in no way would I attempt to do it anywhere where my face can be seen as I've become a bit of a face puller when working out recently. It really does get better though and is totally worth it!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your insecurities.

I can plank for 30 seconds on my toes, not feel it the next day. I however, struggle as it's an uncomfy thing for anyone I think.

Might I suggest some lower back exercises. I say this cause I have a strong low back, but I'm weaker in the abs. I cannot do a sit up, but I can bicycle crunch for 20.

However the plank seems rather pointless. But I do it cause they say its got a point to it. The alternate superman is a really good one too! No wories you will have it soon enough.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from knee planks to toe planks! Keep at it and you'll get there.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I just graduated from knee planks to toe planks! Keep at it and you'll get there.

You will. :smile:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad. I can't do a pushup on my toes. I can bench press 135lbs and can't do a freakin pushup! It's really sad.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You will get there! When I started bootcamps in January I couldnt EVEN knee plank! Now Im working on big girl pushups :D.. everyone else and my bootcamp was super fit and they were just looking for a workout "enhancement" I was the only flubberbut there would couldnt run around the gym 3 times!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm all for confronting your fears and stepping out of comfort zones and all that... but I'd just do them at home if I felt funny doing them the gym. It's not like you need any special equipment.
  • BigDfromNJ
    BigDfromNJ Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Everybody had to start somewhere! Give it a year and see how great you feel, when you are doing it on your toes!:wink:
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You are going to take baby steps (but not drunken baby steps). Your trainer will gradually build you up. I started that way about 6 weeks ago. Now I can do a plank on my toes, and lift a 10 pound weight with one of my arms. I'm 65, so hand in there. You'll get to the point where other women and looking at you and saying WOW!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad. I can't do a pushup on my toes. I can bench press 135lbs and can't do a freakin pushup! It's really sad.

Wow..135! I want to do that! (That's my next main goal, well.. 132lb as it is in the UK for the big plates) How long did it take you to work up to that? I'm on 121 at the moment for my max, but I've been benching for so long!

To the OP: You'll get there :) When I did planks, it was really really hard to hold it for more than a few seconds before I'd collapse to the floor. Over time though, even without working on planks specifically, just general strength, I can now hold a plank (on toes) for what seems like forever!