what are some good tasting protein bars and shakes?

Options
im trying to get into the bars and shakes, but i cant find any that taste half way decent. any suggestions?

feel free to add me as well :)

Replies

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    whole unprocessed foods are best. That being said, luna bars generally taste pretty good
  • SeattleHerbivore
    SeattleHerbivore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Spiru-Tein? Here's their website:

http://www.spiru-tein.com/

My morning smoothie for years has been:

1 cup of non-dairy milk (I have a history of digestive trouble with too much dairy, but if milk works for you use that)
    3/4 - 1 C frozen pie cherries (I buy these at Whole Foods in the frozen section, they're plan and un-sugared)
    1 banana
    1 scoop of Chocolate Spiru-Tein

I blend it all up, and will sometimes add some flax oil. It's delicious and very nutritious!
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've enjoyed most of the Luna bar flavors. NOMNOMNOM!
  • jademh
    jademh Posts: 94
    Options
    The best bar I ever had tastes like a candy bar! lol It's one of the Special K meal replacement protein bars! mmmm!!!

Protein shakes...go to GNC get the wheybolic ones.... i LOVE the chocolate, I have it every morning mixed with a cup of skim milk & it tastes just like chocolate milk. (as a female I only use one scoop)
  • twilightobession
    twilightobession Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you like the Girl Scouts Thin Mint cookies, the ZONE chocolate mint protein bar is good. I am just now trying the different ones.
  • kayla_leeann
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!
  • lushusbrown
    lushusbrown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best protein bar I've had by far (even beats Luna and Think Thin) is the Vega Chocolate Coconut. Once you try it you're never going back to the others. Bold statement...I know! What I like about it is that there is not a grainy or bitter after taste. I'm not typically a texture person when it comes to foods, but this is what I noticed most about other protein bars that I have tried.

Regarding protein shakes, I like the Jay Robb Vanilla Whey Protein or Vega One. We drink almond milk and I usually make my shake with water to reduce my carb intake. Both of these powders taste great with water, which is nice because I don't always have time to blender my shakes. I can mix in a shaker bottle and go.

Enjoy!
  • mntlblonde01
    Options
    I live off of Atkins shakes and South Beach meal bars. Both are high in protein and fiber and low on calories and sugar. Other high protein foods taste too chalky to me. Plus I can get my taste of chocolate in both meals and not feel guilty.
  • musicphreak
    musicphreak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein in Cookie Dough or Caramel Peanut Butter Surprise are my current favorites. I recently got some Zone bars for cheap (Mint Chocolate and Double Brownie or something) and they were great as well. Also another +1 for Luna bars.
  • ThisIsSteven
    Options
    Ive lately read a lot about Quest Bars so just ordered a variety pack to try them (Freeshipping code) ...From what I hear, they are very good tasting for a protein bar, have a short list of ingredients, no gluten or sugar, very high protein (20g), high fiber (17g)...im hoping they're as good as the reviews as I've tried to diet so have gotten rid of a lot of sugary -based products such as low cal ice creams or vita tops - may be good if you only have one every now and then but i find if i have these things in the house, i usually eat multiple so its hard to control portions esp once you get the sugar bug

For protein drinks, the thing I found most usable is to get a shaker bottle so that every blends smoothly. I find most of them taste similarly. I like the pre made EAS Carb Control Dark Chocolate (also vanilla and strawberry - 17g protein, 110 cal and sugar free low carb)...As for powders, I tend to mix them with low-cal Soy Milk (Don't know if this is a good idea but I saw skim milk was having over 12 g of sugar and my fitness pal sugar was always over the top even when I thought I was eating well)...If you really want to bump up your protein - take one eas carb control + one cup of soy slender + 1.5 scoops of protein - good breakfast - filling and start your day wit a lot of protein - also makes a good snack
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I've just started eating Simple Truth Double Chocolate (190 cals, 21 protein, 16 carb, 4 fat)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the best I've tried as well as best of nutrition stats.
    I also like promax ls and thinkthin bars after they've been refridgerated. The regular promax cookies and cream is good but I will only eat it right before a big muscle group workout because of the high sugar content and rarely at that.

I also love myofusion's milk chocolate probiotic whey and optimum nutritions's choc peanutbutter/cake batter casein.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Yogurt, some strawberries, banana or mango or whatever else...and a scoop of protein powder =) I use Body Fortress Vanilla Whey.
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    Lära Bara Specifacally the cashew cookie flavor Not really a protein bar but a very clean bar. Only two ingredients are dates and cashews. So good.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Clif Bars! The mint chocolate chip is my favorite. However,they're a little high in sugar
  • sierrasweetie
    Options
    Atkins bars are pretty good tasting, rather like a candy bar almost. I like Isopure protein drink mix. The container calls for 2 scoops for a serving but that is 50 gm of protein and I find if I just use one scoop and mix it with a cup of 1% milk, it's quite nice. Tastes like chocolate milk. I like to have it with a piece of fruit for a breakfast meal
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Shajadea
    Shajadea Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Larabars and Odwalla bars. The ingredients read real food. No weird stuff, just things that grow on trees. My favorite Odwalla flavor is the banana nut and my favorite Larabar is apple pie. Very tasty.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I like the protein 33 and carb less bars by horleys. I think the atkins ones are pretty blergh
  • Shajadea
    Shajadea Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I second that Spirutein shakes are pretty good and good for you. Maybe not the turbo super high weightlifter style protein shake but very good and reasonable. There are tons of flavors and a lot of health food stores carry the brand. They make single serving packs too, making it easy to sample different flavors. I really like the vanilla, the blueberry and the tropical fruit.