cardio everyday?

Options
I was wondering about doing cardio everyday, I have been told to do it every other day and give my body a rest. I have been doing 60 minutes everyday 3-4 miles. I also do upper body every other day and abs everyday.. I don't feel as good if I skip the cardio and just do the upper and lower body. but if I am hurting myself by doing to much I will cut it back please help.

Replies

• heygirl1954
    heygirl1954 Posts: 92
    Options
    I was wondering about doing cardio everyday, I have been told to do it every other day and give my body a rest. I have been doing 60 minutes everyday 3-4 miles. I also do upper body every other day and abs everyday.. I don't feel as good if I skip the cardio and just do the upper and lower body. but if I am hurting myself by doing to much I will cut it back please help.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Even once you're in a regular running regimen you should give yourself 1 day off a week. 6 days a week is fine, just never increase by more than 30% in one week, and you should only do the increase once a week on your "distance" day.

See when you use muscles, they do actually take damage - little microscopic tears.. Its ok though, its part of building muscle. When the body gets damaged, it grows back stronger. This means stronger muscles. But if you do the same thing every day your body never gets to repair itself. You also will lose some of the benefits of running if you do it every day, because your body gets used to the same exercise. Try cross training a little.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I do agree that you should take a break from time to time. Maybe on the "off" day you could take a nice walk or do some stretching or yoga. I see that you do 3-4 miles in an hour, I assume that is not running, but walking. If walking, I see no reason to take a day off.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    A day of rest is a good idea for cardio. You mentioned you do abs everday. Muscles need a to rest after you've worked them, so you should probaby only do abs every other day. That will allow them to heal and actually get stronger and more toned.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    What msarro said... its ok to go 6 days a week but I'd say take one day off. You don't have to go every other day but you should for strength training or do upper than lower, enjoy that cardio! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I do cardio everyday. I don't take a day off, but I generally have 1 day a week where I replace my running with a nice, brisk walk. It's less strenuous.
  • jwells26
    jwells26 Posts: 13
    Options
    I do cardio 5 days a week. They say you should walk at least 30 mins. a day no matter what. If you feel you are in a rut-mix it up a bit like these gals have said. I also do strength training 5 days a week also. Every other day I will do my upper body and then the other days I will do my lower-this gives your body time to rest.

I feel great by doing this and i have seen results!

154912.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary