Running Outside

Options
2»

Replies

• Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hit the local running store. You can get a water bottle that has a strap that fits in your hand. There are some running socks with a pocket for your keys or a pocket that you can put on your shoes.

You can always bring back the 80's and get a fanny pack type system if you need to hold your phone.I don't run with my phone. I run to get away from my phone.
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hook my house key to my sports bra on a small D-clip and tuck it in.

I have an older iPod nano, you can probably find a refurbished one pretty cheap. I link it to a Nike+ running chip in my shoe ($30).

You can get a road ID and not worry about carrying a wallet with an ID.

I carry a throw away bottle of water and have used the same one several times. I just like the option of tossing it if I get annoyed with it.

Belts can get bulky and you can be tempted to fill it to the max.

My advice is to keep it minimal. You aren't going on a safari, just a run. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I hunt for pants that have a pocket (not easy to find) and I also have a SPI belt which is good for small things like keys, tissues, cash etc.
    Once I started running longer distances (ie over an hour) I bought a Nathan water bottle holder that I wear around my waist. Before that I used a cheapie bumbag (US = fanny pack) and a small water bottle. That worked ok but I can carry more water in my proper belt.
    To measure your distance - the free way is to use Runkeeper or mapmyrun online to map your distance either before or after you run. I used to use Runkeeper on my smartphone but now I have a Garmin 405 with GPS which tracks my distance, pace etc. If you can afford one it's great but they aren't cheap (about AU$400).
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am a beginning runner so I haven't bothered to get all sorts of fancy gear. I have my keys on one of those D clips, so I clip that to my bra and tuck it inside. Then I stuff my phone (for playing music) inside my bra on the other side. It helps that I usually wear two bras, so I can put these things in my bra, but still have another layer to protect from sweat. My runs don't go over an hour so I don't find a need to carry water - I'm sure one of those belts would be handy for that! And considering my bra is already full to the brim, haha!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    i just bought a nathan trail 2 hydration belt and felt like a goober running with it, but it's perfect for a long run. i don't need water for less than an hour, but for when it's hot i just might buy a nathan handheld bottle as well.

otherwise, i just run holding my iphone (music, and my nike running app to track where i am).

can you get a smartphone? i think they're so much more helpful than just a GPS watch. if you are prone to getting lost i don't think the GPS watch has an actual map on it? (correct me if i'm wrong). i think the watches just track calories/mileage/pace.

That's right, the Garmin doesn't give you a map. But, it is MUCH more accurate than Runkeeper, so if accurate distance and pace are important to you, then don't rely on Runkeeper on a smartphone. Really though, most of us aren't running to set world records so a "close enough" pace and distance is OK and a reasonable trade off to have music and maps and emergency contact with you.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    There's a trail near my house so I just walk there as a warm up so I don't have keys with me. I do usually wear a jacket or vest with pockets though. That's for my mp3 player and inhaler. In the summer I just carry them. I usually don't take water until I'm running 10 miles and then I stash it along the trail.

I don't have any gadgets for tracking.