Losing weight at 1800 cals per day?

Options
I've been watching what I eat for 7 years now. Lost 70 lbs in my first 1.5 yrs with Weight Watchers. Then gained some back...but I have always been aware/conscious of what I was eating. I've tried to lose the weight I've regained, but over the past 2 - 3 yrs, all I've managed to do is maintain my weight. Been on MFP for over 230 days and have, on average, simply maintained my weight once again.

Recently I've been contemplating eating more calories...sounds moronic, but according to the BMR calculator on Fat2Fit, it's what my body needs...approx 1800 cals! (I'm 5'6'' and have a light to moderate activity level).

Has anyone lost weight with such a high calorie intake?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Worked for me! My total daily calorie intake has been around or over 1800 for most of the time I was losing... mostly around 1500 plus exercise calories.
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump I want to see what opinions people have on this....I am very interested also...There is a group that you can join of eating 2000 calories...
  • lkray
    lkray Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea, just be sure to keep up your activity. Also, if you hit a plateau, you could slightly decrease your caloric intake--just up veggies, protein and complex grains so you can still feel satisfied!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea, just be sure to keep up your activity. Also, if you hit a plateau, you could slightly decrease your caloric intake--just up veggies, protein and complex grains so you can still feel satisfied!
    This post is gold! Minus the grains part.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you currently taking in? It's a numbers game, that's for sure. But our bodies like to pull fast ones now and again to confuse the numbers game. Without knowing your current consumption and exercise, it's difficult to say.
  • ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different and it can't hurt to try for a few weeks and see what happens, right?
    For me personally I always did well on the "wendy plan".... instead of eating the same cals every day, a few days of the week are below, some are right at, and one is WAY high (but works out to same number as if you ate the same on every single day). Tends to keep the body guessing, and the high cal day qualms your body's fear of starvation and allows it to let go of fat.
    Right now I'm losing with what I'm doing but if that stalls a while I'm totally going back to the wendy plan.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    lost 35 lbs eating about 1800-2000 c/day with exercise.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    ME! ME! ME! I have lost 51 lbs by eating the guidelines from fat to fit radio tools! I am 5'6 and average around 1800 - 2200 calories daily! Slow, sustainable weight loss!
  • Riverofbeauty
    Riverofbeauty Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Could definitely work! Give it a go. You can also join this group, which might help you. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you currently taking in? It's a numbers game, that's for sure. But our bodies like to pull fast ones now and again to confuse the numbers game. Without knowing your current consumption and exercise, it's difficult to say.

I was at 1200 for a while, then recently increased it to 1350. Normally, I exercise 2-3 times per week for 30-60 mins each time. Moderate level (circuit training sometimes with weights, Zumba type exercises)
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 20lbs so far (15lbs in 3 months) eating 1800-2300 a day! It's working for me!
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Mine is only 1,370. I have mini-goals, one right now is to lost 2 pounds. I'm literally scratching my head right now. I only need to lose 2 pounds, why so high? I mean when I was trying to lose 18 all at once, it was 1,200. Mine is higher than a man's calorie daily goal (for one of my friends). I have active lifestyle, or whatever they call it. The highest one. Very active, I think it's called....this is odd, isn't it?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different and it can't hurt to try for a few weeks and see what happens, right?
    For me personally I always did well on the "wendy plan".... instead of eating the same cals every day, a few days of the week are below, some are right at, and one is WAY high (but works out to same number as if you ate the same on every single day). Tends to keep the body guessing, and the high cal day qualms your body's fear of starvation and allows it to let go of fat.
    Right now I'm losing with what I'm doing but if that stalls a while I'm totally going back to the wendy plan.
    There is no such thing as "keeping the body guessing". It doesn't work like that. Zig-zagging, carb cycling and the like have NO impact on the metabolism. Most people doing such things shouldn't be doing them in the first place.

High calorie day don't "qualms your body's fear of starvation".
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll give it a try for 1 week or so and see....
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I lose about 1ish pounds per week with a goal of a net of 1900. Works pretty fantastic for me and I haven't hit a plateau yet so I am very happy.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Im loosing at 2600... 5'10 183lbs. Thats about a pound a week for me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Worked for me! My total daily calorie intake has been around or over 1800 for most of the time I was losing... mostly around 1500 plus exercise calories.

Yup, my numbers were pretty similar when I was aiming to lose.
    Now I'm maintaining (more or less) on around 1800 - 2000 NET calories (so that means eating 1800 plus exercise calories).
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks! I'll give it a try for 1 week or so and see....

Great, give it a try - but I think you'll need to try those cals for longer than a week to see results. Don't give up if you put on a little bit in the first week - try it for at least a month.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "keeping the body guessing". It doesn't work like that. Zig-zagging, carb cycling and the like have NO impact on the metabolism. Most people doing such things shouldn't be doing them in the first place.

High calorie day don't "qualms your body's fear of starvation".

Irregardless of the impact on metabolism, I enjoy zig-zagging because then I can save calories to eat at social events and not go over my weekly target. You said "most people doing such things shouldn't be doing them in the first place." Is there a reason why you say that? Not trying to argue. Just curious and willing to learn.
  • ShellyAnnPaulson
    Options
    Bump