whats the best recovery food???

Options
Hi

This is my first post on here so bear with me :),, I work out roughly three times a week,, go swimming once or twice a week and try to go for a run once a week and really struggle with eating the right thing afterwords,, what do you guys eat to help aid recovery.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Replies

• PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of chocolate milk after all of my workouts. I know it might sound weird, but there are a lot of athletes that swear by fat free chocolate milk as their recovery drink.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I run, cycle and jump a lot. I have a banana, a fat free laughing cow cheese and sometimes a tylenol so I can crawl back to the car.
  • bjhazelman
    Options
    Every trainer I have worked with encourages a small serving of a good protein like almonds, cheese, yogurt, etc. That seems to help me.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I do a whey protein drink with almond milk- usually something vanilla, chocolate or oreo flavored!
  • KriscoOil
    KriscoOil Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of chocolate milk after all of my workouts. I know it might sound weird, but there are a lot of athletes that swear by fat free chocolate milk as their recovery drink.

heard this too and tried a few times. i feel better afterwards too!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love my chocolate milk after my workouts! Especially since I workout first thing early in the morning - I have that chocolate milk when I'm done, get my kid to school & then have breakfast when I get back.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I focus on non grain carbs post exercise. Sweet potatoes are good. I also take in a little extra protein post weightlifting. I try to hit daily goals with protein whether I'm working out or not.

As mentioned, milk and chocolate milk is a much better post exercise drink choice than electrolyte mixes or energy drinks.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The personal trainer I work with told me fat free chocolate milk because it has the right combo of protein and carbs for a post workout drink.
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk after my workout (4 days/week). Depending on how hungry I am I may also have some Greek yogurt or eggs.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Usually s protein shake or whey protein mixed into Greek yogurt.
  • lvng_lf
    lvng_lf Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love my chocolate milk after my workouts! Especially since I workout first thing early in the morning - I have that chocolate milk when I'm done, get my kid to school & then have breakfast when I get back.

how many ounces do you typically drink?
  • pippkins
    pippkins Posts: 5
    Options
    Like others have said, the lactic acid (and protein) in milk, yogurt, etc. is great for rebuilding muscle!

Also you should Google "phosphatidyl serine" ... supposed to be awesome for recovery.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • 19howie78
    19howie78 Posts: 29
    Options
    great thanks guys,, also if anyone wants to add me as a contact youre more than welcome :smile:
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

heard this too and tried a few times. i feel better afterwards too!

While many people think consuming protein after a workout is a must the actual truth is that your muscles need carbs to replace the glycogen they just burned as fuel. That's why they have things like Gatorade, which is just sugar water. Protein is definitely needed to help repair your muscles but even Whey, takes quite a while to reach the muscles. So a high glycemic carb with a bit of protein is prefered right after a workout and Chocolate milk fits that bill. There are other commercially available post workout drinks but Chocolats milk is more budget friendly.

I typically consume a drink of 40 grams of carbs 10 grams of protein right after a workout, then within an hour of that I have some protein.

Tim
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I usually drink a cup of chocolate milk too.

Lvng_If...........OMG now i want a puppy.....very cute pic!
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Banana
    Cottage cheese
    Protein shake with organic soy, almond or low fat milk.
    Apple
    Kashi cereal
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as I can toss some protein in there. I also take pain pills. lol
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Could you drink chocolate soymilk instead of regular chocolate milk? For thoe of us who are lactose intolerant? Thx
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Could you drink chocolate soymilk instead of regular chocolate milk? For thoe of us who are lactose intolerant? Thx

Wondering the same thing. What about almond milk??