does crystal lite count as your water intake???????????

Options
i needed to spice up something today-- too much wine last night has left me munching all day!

i figure it is better than a diet coke, right?

Replies

• sabes2631
    sabes2631 Posts: 403
    Options
    i needed to spice up something today-- too much wine last night has left me munching all day!

i figure it is better than a diet coke, right?
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    To me nothing replaces water.. Water is water! But others may have different views!

Yes its MUCH better than diet coke :laugh:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything as water but water. Some people do, I don't. JMO
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    The only thing I count as water, is water.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    i say do count it and here is why:

if you have an 8 oz glass of water, and you add a pack of crystal light to it and drink it, you still drank a 8 oz glass of water- it didn't change into something else.

as long as you log the calories in the crystal light, i say you can log it as a glass of water. i still try to drink plain water too, but sometimes you have to add some flavor! :flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

if you have an 8 oz glass of water, and you add a pack of crystal light to it and drink it, you still drank a 8 oz glass of water- it didn't change into something else.

as long as you log the calories in the crystal light, i say you can log it as a glass of water. i still try to drink plain water too, but sometimes you have to add some flavor! :flowerforyou:

I agree it counts.
    If it helps I asked my trainer this once and he agrees.
    However, I don't see the harm in drinking a few extra glasses of water.
  • Vogue
    Vogue Posts: 15
    Options

By that standard then Coffee, Iced tea, Hot Chocolate.... or any drink that you add to water... is water and that just does not make sense.. Only water is water, when you add something to it, you do change the molecular level and your body will not be able to process it as water.

Don’t be fooled... only water can pass as water... sure other drink may contain water... but nothing can compete with a good ol' glass of H2O
  • naugustyniak
    Options

By that standard then Coffee, Iced tea, Hot Chocolate.... or any drink that you add to water... is water and that just does not make sense.. Only water is water, when you add something to it, you do change the molecular level and your body will not be able to process it as water.

Don’t be fooled... only water can pass as water... sure other drink may contain water... but nothing can compete with a good ol' glass of H2O

I agree completely. Crystal Light has ingredients, coffee/tea has caffeine so they are water with additives. Drink them if you must but don't count them as water, water is water.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    To me nothing replaces water.. Water is water! But others may have different views!

Yes its MUCH better than diet coke :laugh:

How is it better than Diet Coke? It still has aspartame in it.

Ingredients: CITRIC ACID, MALTODEXTRIN, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, ASPARTAME, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, RED 40, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, POTASSIUM CITRATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, SALT, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, BLUE 1, BHA (TO HELP PROTECT FLAVOR).

Don't be fooled just because it's a pretty color and you're pouring it into your water.

yes..yes...some are made with sucralose....but it's still an artificial sweetener and I bet that it's slowing down your weightloss.

Other potential effects of Sucralose -

A Duke university study found evidence that high doses of Splenda (up to 1000 mg/kg) reduced the amount of good bacteria in the intestines of rats by up to 50%, increases the pH level in the intestines, contributes to increases in body weight and affects the P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the body in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected.[25]

One report suggests sucralose is a possible trigger for some migraine patients.[26] Another study published in the Journal of Mutation Research linked doses of sucralose equivalent to 11,450 packets per day in a person to DNA damage in mice.[27]

Allergic reactions to sucralose have not been documented, but individuals sensitive to either maltodextrin or dextrose should consult a physician about using any sweeteners containing these fillers.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Not true, soda (even diet), hot chocolate, iced tea, and coffee are all diuretics (most contain some level of caffine). You shouldn't count them as water, but anything without a diuretic property can be counted. That doesn't mean it's as GOOD for you as water, but you can count it towards your water input as to the hydration level you keep your body at.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you drink a 16oz bottle of water straight, and then 5 minutes later get the urge to down a packet of crystal light, you would count it as water, and a packet of crystal light.

Simply because you mix them doesn't mean they become new thing. It's not chem class, there is no chemical reaction here.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If you drink a 16oz bottle of water straight, and then 5 minutes later get the urge to down a packet of crystal light, you would count it as water, and a packet of crystal light.

Simply because you mix them doesn't mean they become new thing. It's not chem class, there is no chemical reaction here.

I'm sorry but that is the funniest image I've ever. HA HA HA! Can you imagine trying to eat a packet of powder. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • msarro
    Options

I'm sorry but that is the funniest image I've ever. HA HA HA! Can you imagine trying to eat a packet of powder. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Awww, have you never been introduced to the pure heaven that is pixie stix???? :love:
  • naugustyniak
    Options

Awww, have you never been introduced to the pure heaven that is pixie stix???? :love:

I only mix my pixie stix with 7-up or sprite
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    once in awhile it's fine, but it isn't "water"

it is, however a fluid, and it will adequately hydrate you.

keep in mind crystal light has calories, sodium, and a whole range of lovely chemicals. it's simply not a healthy choice.

try adding a few fresh berries and a splash of lemon juice to your water. You get flavour without the yucky chemical additives in crystal light.
  • msarro
    Options
    try adding a few fresh berries and a splash of lemon juice to your water. You get flavour without the yucky chemical additives in crystal light.

Raspberries are awesome!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I count it as water.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Current research says that caffeine does not cause dehydration like previously thought. You can easily find many, many articles regarding this just by doing a Google search. The whole point of WATER is to stay hydrated. IMO Crystal Light counts.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Let me be more specific,

Armstrong did a study on caffine, and his conclusions were that caffine is a mild diuretic, and that it won't really cause many bad things to happen as far as dehydration is concerned.

BUT, doctors have been saying this for years.

The conclusions most doctors (Armstrong included) is that it slightly increases the kidney urine output, so will it dehydrate you to drink coffee or other caffinated beverages? Nope, not unless you're already on the way to being dehydrated. But you shouldn't really count it as a liquid because only part of it stays in the system, and part is expelled through urine. Making it hard to count the exact amount. So when I say don't count caffinated stuff, I say that simply because depending on the amount of caffine in it, you really don't know how much you took in, and better to go over your daily water requirements then under.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My brother, a truck driver, put it this way... "How long can you live without water? If coffee and beer don't count as water, then I would have been dead years ago."

Now, he probably isn't making the healthiest choices (and he isn't drinking beer while driving). But, all fluid counts toward hydration.