Looking for advice

Options
Does anyone have any advice on approaching a loved one to become healthier? My father is overweight and I constantly worry about him. I worry about hurting his feelings or him thinking I'm judging him in some way. He weighs at least 350 and his activities are very limited because of wounds on one of his legs which causes severe pain. My dad has always been my hero, now it's my turn to be his!!

Replies

• led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    i'm going through the exact same thing with my mom. i get her into the gym about 3 days a week but she's not losing because she frequently indulges in fattening foods and lots of wine. every time i give her a friendly nudge in the right direction she seems to take it the wrong way and thinks i am judging her. it's really hard. it takes everything in me not to just snatch the bag of chips or box of cookies away from her - it feels like i'm just watching her make herself sick. the worst part about it is that she is always asking me why she's not losing as fast as i am, and i have to lie and say "hmm i don't know" instead of telling her the truth because she gets upset when i'm honest. i wish i had advice for you but unfortunately i'm just in the same position as you.
  • heethnmush
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! Heartbreaking isn't it?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice on approaching a loved one to become healthier? My father is overweight and I constantly worry about him. I worry about hurting his feelings or him thinking I'm judging him in some way. He weighs at least 350 and his activities are very limited because of wounds on one of his legs which causes severe pain. My dad has always been my hero, now it's my turn to be his!!

You cant do one thing at all..... Your father has to be the one to make the decision to make the changes for himself. Its no different than someone approaching you when you are at your lowest....
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I would just continue to invite them in on your activities. They probably are aware of their health situation but don't know how to start or have the confidence/wear-withall to commit just yet. It is hard to motivate a parent to change because of the respect issue, but the best you can do is encourage. They are grown people.

Try inviting them to dinner and cook them healthy, tasty food. Show them they can enjoy healthy living as much as they enjoy the not so healthy ones :) take walks with them when the weather is nice. Invite them to talk with you but make it clear that you are not judging or expecting them to.

It is hard to watch your loved ones make poor choices, and my mother is one of them. I am struggling to get her to change as well, but ultimately she is going to make her own choices.
  • heatherhsmith
    Options
    The pain in his legs does present a problem....is he diabetic? I read about a guy who pushed a vaccum cleaner back and forth while he sat in a chair because he could not walk. Because he did this, he was able to build some endurance and muscle. This in turn helped him fight off repeated infections and he was able to get up and walk in 6 months. It also motivated him to eat better. The most wonderful part is that your dad has you in his corner! Approach exercise as a way of fighting off future infections instead of making it a weight issue. Once he sees the progress he may get motivated to do more.
    I'm a daddy's girl too. I would do anything for my dad. Good luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Show him a pic of heart disease!
    Or get info on the area you live in about type 2 diabetes!

I live near baltimore where 90% of the guys I see walking around are in their third trimester!