Try this workout. Tell us what you think!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Burns as many calories as a 40-60 minute run I don't think so. When i do a 40 minute run id burn 700 calories according to my heart rate monitor although that isn't entirely accurate it is a good indication of how many calories you are burning.

So with that 4 minute workout I can burn 500 calories I don't think so.

Seriously 4 minutes what a joke the workout might be good to incorporate into your workout but there is no way I would settle for that 4 minutes very misleading.
    The burn during the 4 minutes is totally misleading. I would venture to say that most people would burn 180-280 calories at the most. What it can do is raise you RMR, which steady state cardio doesn't do. I also doubt a lot of how EPOC claimants state for "after" calorie burns.
    Tabata was designed for one reason in mind........................VO2 max and longer endurance in high output exertion of muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I do a similar workout for my warmup.

If you're doing that for a warm-up and then do a workout after, sorry, but you're not doing a Tabata.

This... although You can do a single Tabata (4 mins) and then recover for a few minutes (because you will be knackered, huffing and puffing after a tabata as is hardcore anaerobic work!) and do an aerobic workout or weights circuit pretty easily after...

However, am sure Tabata is best when done for like 3-8 rounds of it...the fitter you get the more you should be able to do as your anaerobic threshold/Endurance, aerobic endurance and VO2max increase....

You must be in super-duper shape if you can do a full aerobic workout or weights within minutes of doing a Tabata. I feel like I'm going to puke for quite awhile after and it takes me a good hour to recover. I only do it on days when I just can't squeeze in a longer workout but I'm guessing it would impact the intensity of any workout I would do later. Caveat: maybe not so much with a couple hours recovery and a meal in-between but, if done right, it's pretty darn draining.

Again,if you can do 3-8 rounds of it, you're not doing it right. Even more elite athletes who were part of the original Tabata tests only did it once.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    Is there a link at all to this workout thats in video form?? Would love to try it :)

I've seen a few but most aren't very good and don't have the folks doing it at the 100% balls-out intensity that defines a Tabata and are doing more of a HIIT workout instead.
  • debbiemccaffrey
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

If you're doing that for a warm-up and then do a workout after, sorry, but you're not doing a Tabata.

Where in my post did I claim I was doing tabata? I do tabata with battle ropes.
  • funkycamper
    Options

Uhhh, see the first quote at the top of this post? That's the quote I based my comment on.

Now,off to google "battle ropes". That sounds fun!
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump for later to many new work out terms to google on no sleep lol
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :happy:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/pin/85498092895907640/
    Try it. Honestly. It's only 4 minutes.

I'd also like to see a video of someone doing this workout correctly. All out intensity + Bad form = likely injury.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

"Argument from Incredulity"

Just because you struggle with 2 minutes of it doesn't mean that this guy can't use it as a warm up.

I've never tried it, but I've done a lot of very similar things, for longer time periods. I think most people who train in any sort of martial arts would look at this as only a small portion of the warm-ups they are currently doing.

That's not to say I don't think it would be hard work and have you out of breath, but to suggest that if you do it properly you shouldn't be able to exercise afterwards is a bit ignorant.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Uhhh, see the first quote at the top of this post? That's the quote I based my comment on.

Improve your reading comprehension skills. I said "similar" which means there is a difference. In my case, same exercises, but longer break in between sets, which prevents me from being utterly wiped out and still perform additional circuits after the warm up. I also teach a high intensity circuit training class so I'm in better shape than most.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    fpacudan I understood what you were saying didn't sound to complicated to me. I would say by looking you know what you are doing some people just don't take advise well
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I usually workout for about 2 hours a day, and i give everything i have..and I did this a lil while ago about an hour after i had done my lvl 3 of the shred, and the banish fat boost metabolism DVD along with my planks, weights and my crunches, and I was more winded after the 4 minutes than i was after 2 hours of working out. granted it could've had a lil to do with me still being a lil tired after my workouts, but still this is TOUGH. Make sure you try it, and give it everything you got before you doubt how hard it is. I agree i wouldn't replace my 2 hour workouts with it, but i will definitely be adding it to my routine.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    I usually workout for about 2 hours a day, and i give everything i have..and I did this a lil while ago about an hour after i had done my lvl 3 of the shred, and the banish fat boost metabolism DVD along with my planks, weights and my crunches, and I was more winded after the 4 minutes than i was after 2 hours of working out. granted it could've had a lil to do with me still being a lil tired after my workouts, but still this is TOUGH. Make sure you try it, and give it everything you got before you doubt how hard it is. I agree i wouldn't replace my 2 hour workouts with it, but i will definitely be adding it to my routine.

What do you do for 2 hours a day, giving it everything you have?
    I'm in pretty good shape and If I go all out, there is no way I could go for 2 hours.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options

What do you do for 2 hours a day, giving it everything you have?
    I'm in pretty good shape and If I go all out, there is no way I could go for 2 hours.

I still have alot of weight to lose so i'm sticking to mostly Cardio/curcuit DVD's on round 2 of the shred lvl 3. And doing Banish fat boost metabolism which combined is about 75 to 80 mins. in the evenings i do Zumba for 30 and either elliptical or stepper for 30 mins. I change up the workouts and DVD's since i need to keep my cardio high..I really don't count the mins i spend with my weights or planks and crunches since they don't really raise my heart rate high enough to do much for burning calories. I do about an hour in the morning, and then an hour in the evening in hopes it will keep me burning more calories throughout the day/night.
  • funkycamper
    Options

Just because you struggle with 2 minutes of it doesn't mean that this guy can't use it as a warm up.

I've never tried it, but I've done a lot of very similar things, for longer time periods. I think most people who train in any sort of martial arts would look at this as only a small portion of the warm-ups they are currently doing.

That's not to say I don't think it would be hard work and have you out of breath, but to suggest that if you do it properly you shouldn't be able to exercise afterwards is a bit ignorant.

I think it's ignorant to comment on something that you apparently haven't studied. I have spent a fair amount of time reading as much as I can about the Tabata Protocol including the original research results because I find the concept fascinating.

Conditioned athletes at world-class levels are totally bushwhacked after doing a Tabata at the intensity it's designed for. People have been known to puke, or feel like it, from doing them at the intensity-level prescribed. One might be able to do more exercise after a recovery period which, of course, is going to vary a bit from individual-to-individual but not right afterwards. And there is no way that they can do further exercise at a level of intensity to really be worth the time. Sure, you might be able to do a decent walk. But you're not going to be able to lift heavy and meet the same weights/reps/sets as you would normally achieve. And you're not going to be able to go on an hour run.

This isn't my opinion. It's based on the studies.
  • funkycamper
    Options

Improve your reading comprehension skills. I said "similar" which means there is a difference. In my case, same exercises, but longer break in between sets, which prevents me from being utterly wiped out and still perform additional circuits after the warm up. I also teach a high intensity circuit training class so I'm in better shape than most.

OK, I'll accept that similar doesn't mean Tabata but your statement didn't make that clear. HIIT and Tabata aren't the same thing. I do a lot of HIIT myself.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I think it's ignorant to comment on something that you apparently haven't studied. I have spent a fair amount of time reading as much as I can about the Tabata Protocol including the original research results because I find the concept fascinating.

Conditioned athletes at world-class levels are totally bushwhacked after doing a Tabata at the intensity it's designed for. People have been known to puke, or feel like it, from doing them at the intensity-level prescribed. One might be able to do more exercise after a recovery period which, of course, is going to vary a bit from individual-to-individual but not right afterwards. And there is no way that they can do further exercise at a level of intensity to really be worth the time. Sure, you might be able to do a decent walk. But you're not going to be able to lift heavy and meet the same weights/reps/sets as you would normally achieve. And you're not going to be able to go on an hour run.

This isn't my opinion. It's based on the studies.

I'd genuinely like to see these studies. Do you have links? Particularly interested in length of exercises and number of sets/reps.

Incidentally a friend of mine who I was chatting with about the Tabata protocol yesterday who trains in Karate agreed that his standard training included something very similar to this and that it only formed a small part of his training. With no rest period either - rest=running on the spot while your partner does his/her 10 seconds. This for 4 sets of each exercise consisting of situps, squat thrusts, Pressups and Burpees.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'd genuinely like to see these studies. Do you have links? Particularly interested in length of exercises and number of sets/reps.

Incidentally a friend of mine who I was chatting with about the Tabata protocol yesterday who trains in Karate agreed that his standard training included something very similar to this and that it only formed a small part of his training. With no rest period either - rest=running on the spot while your partner does his/her 10 seconds. This for 4 sets of each exercise consisting of situps, squat thrusts, Pressups and Burpees.

I've been doing martial arts for a while now, 5 years of Judo and 4 years of Isshin Ryu Karate. There is definitely a lot of good to be had from training after you're 'bushwacked'. I've done boxing drills using the Tabata format, and afterwards I could barely lift my arms. Then I went and did 2 hours of class. I've also lead the class through Tabata drills for conditioning and then have done other workouts. The concept that even when tired past the point of exhaustion you should be able to throw strong, clean, crisp fighting techniques is paramount at every dojo I've ever been to.

I agree that weight lifting immediately following a Tabata workout is not a good idea, as it's probably unsafe, but I see no problem with doing exercises where there isn't the same risk of injury afterwards.

I'm not disagreeing with you about performance, after a session it would definitely be diminished. However, the idea that training when tired is 'not worth their time' I strongly disagree with.

EDIT: Also consider wrestling workouts, it's not uncommon for athletes to puke during the workout and keep going.