Is this as good as it gets???

Options
Hi, I've been here for almost 1 year now and I've had very good results. My problem seems to be that I never can get beyond where I am right now. The last time I was around this weight was in 2002 when I weighed 214 pounds. I get to where I'm starting to look ok in my clothes and just feel I don't need to go any further. I really would like to get to my initial goal of 180 but I guess I'm again thinking about resting on my laurels. I see pics of you guys (men) with fantastic looking abs and wonder if that could be achievable for me. I know I have the physical and nutritional aspects figured out on how to get there, I just need to convince my mind to want to get there. IDK, maybe there is some deep seated fear of being "that guy" which is causing me to sabotage myself. I'm in that danger zone right now and hope others can help me to ignite that passion to go the last 1/3 of my journey. Thanks all, love all you MFPers out there.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I am in the EXACT same place you are mentally right now. I haven't been under 180 in 8 years (currently in the 181-183 range). I barely remember what it was like being a healthy weight, and it feels odd to be here with the prospect of getting there becoming a reality.

I think the thing is that you've got to remember that you CAN get there. You deserve to get there, and open your imagination to what the world will be like once you're there.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Keep going, you're almost there! Don't give up now!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Keep going, don't give up now. You've obviously worked hard. Your body will need to adjust to this new weight. I suggest you work out what your maintenance calorie goal is and still with that for 1-2weeks. It feels good to take a break, without loosing sight of your goal. Then you can tackle that last bit when you're ready, and recharged. Hope this helps :-)
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It would be such a shame to stop now, when you have worked so hard to get this far. I can hardly believe that I have got this far, and I know it seems strange to think that you could be one of those really fit people, because I feel the same way. But as someone else has said, keep visualising yourself at your goal and imagine how great you will feel.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Why stop now? Aren't you curious to see what the best you will look like? I kow that's what drives
    Me everyday, i have to be the best i can be for myself nobody else matters in that aspect.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take a week off to regroup? Try not to go overboard with eating just try for maintenance.

Perhaps you'll conclude you are real happy where you are and the journey is over for you. In which case great!

If you decide you wany to go a bit further try some near term goal setting to help you focus.

On my fridge is a chart with my near term goals that I get to cross off at each achievement. I have one tower of boxes labelled 1 to 40 representing my target number of workouts for the period. Then another tower of weights I want to hit. I put some target dates against them to keep me focussed. It's a great tool for me. Perhaps it will help you.
  • cosmicrelief
    cosmicrelief Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that I sometimes have to stop and just appreciate where I am for a while and be proud of being able to maintain that. After a while I find the motivation to keep pushing myself further.

You have done great and no doubt can get there if that is what you want for yourself. Good luck!
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi
    I'm the same as you. I get to a point when i feel good and my clothes fit nice then i start getting compliments and it all goes to hell and i put the weight back on again. I know the reason behind this and to me it is a valid one but i just wish i could forget the past and be confident enough to carry on to a lighter, healthier me. Maybe this time i can with mfp support.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Are you still eating target calories that were calculated some time ago?

Perhaps you need to recalculate with current weight/bf% numbers?
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I think there is a deep seated reason for my settling for mediocrity. I've seen it in my career, relationships, and in my weight loss I guess. I am having no problem losing weight and have recalculated my calories downward every 10 pounds lost. This is totally mental why I'd even consider settling for something less that my best. Thanks dusty and chris for your thoughts and also to the ladies for your input. I believe what Jill stated, there is a reason for this thinking and as wrong as it may seem, to me it is legitimate however dysfunctional it may be. Gonna do some soul searching and going to get to work.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have a similar fear of success. THe only thing that worked for me was to stop setting goals- that way I couldnt stopmyself just short of them. I adopted the phrase- "Just out of curiosity- lets see what happens..."

Just out of curiosity- lets see what happens...if I go to the gym 4 x a week this whole month
    Just out of curiosity- lets see what happens...if I overhaul my fridge and fill it with healthy food for the last two weeks of the month
    Just out of curiosity- lets see what happens... etc etc

So Im not divebombing for a goal- instead its a relaxed, no-pressure, time will pass anyway- kind of approach. It may not be as balls to the wall as some people NEED- but we arent all the same- sometimes we are so scared of being held to a higher standard than we are now, just because we accomplish something, that we need to feel like it was easier than it was.

So... just out of curiosity- lets see what happens if change it up a little? No big deal, just a wee science experiment ;)
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    Good luck with it. I'm gonna try and beat my demons time.