fruit and weight loss or non weight loss

Options
the last 2 weeks i have flatlined with weight even though i have trained harder than ever and kept well under my calorie goals,the only thing i can think of is my increased intake of fruit ie:apples,bananas and kiwi fruit.Has this happened to anyone else or is it just a coincidence

Replies

• antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am really confused whether to include bananas in my diet anymore due to high sugar content!!
  • danielnoble
    Options
    If your training harder your more then likely putting weight on due to muscle growth, but losing fat at the same time. Try and limit the high sugar fruits to the few hrs after intense exercise.
  • christinerush
    Options
    Hi, Ive been told to go easy on bananas because of the high sugar content and the fact that they take longer to digest!
  • georgiatrain
    Options
    Well, I have been on a sort of 'detox' diet for the past week (feel free to look at my diary) - I have been eating nothing but fruit and veg, but allowing myself lots of water and my treats are low calorie hot chocolates.
    I have BAREY lost a thing!!!
    I have been under my calorie goal everyday (bar one) and usually if I were eating this little, I know I'd have lost more! - I do however feel very bloated, I'm wondering whether it's slowed down my digestion?

But I really don't know.
    I told myself that I would detox for two weeks, so I'm reluctant to stop, but I am expecting a big change soon! - Perhaps I will lose the weight when I start eating normally again???
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    the last 2 weeks i have flatlined with weight even though i have trained harder than ever and kept well under my calorie goals,the only thing i can think of is my increased intake of fruit ie:apples,bananas and kiwi fruit.Has this happened to anyone else or is it just a coincidence

Keeping "well under your calorie goals" is more than likely the problem rather than adding in healthy fruits to your diet. You need calories (calories = energy) to fuel your body for those really hard training days. Don't be afraid of them, they're not the enemy! You should be eating as close to the calorie recommendation as possible, not trying to underscore.

it can also be that you're just at a tiny plateau. two weeks isn't really that long not to see a fluctuation.
  • kei_llew
    kei_llew Posts: 29
    Options
    If you have been training hard then i am guessing you are losing, but could also be gaining muscle which will equal out on the scales.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    All I know is I am really confused whether to include bananas in my diet anymore due to high sugar content!!

Maybe I'm a banana addict but while they're a little high in sugars they're full of potassium.........http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/potassium-000320.htm
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're training very hard, you need to eat hard too. If you (for example) have 2000 calories from MFP, then add 1000 calories burned, you should try and get close to 3000 calories in food (though I recommend going midway for exercise calories, like 500 out of the 1000 burned). I increased my food intake and not only do I feel great, I have been losing inches!

PS. Fruit sugar = good sugar. Find me a guy who got fat eating too many fruits and i'll point out a liar. Processed sugar is terrible and we should definitely avoid them
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Apparently bananas, cherries and grapes aren't great foods for dieters... maybe stick to other fruits that aren't as sweet.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    there could be heaps of advice to help on your plateau, and without knowing you or seeing your diary for exercise or food it is hard to tell.

I'm in Sydney too, at Homebush, give me a yell if you want to friend me and I'm happy to try and help :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been on a sort of 'detox' diet for the past week (feel free to look at my diary) - I have been eating nothing but fruit and veg, but allowing myself lots of water and my treats are low calorie hot chocolates.
    I have BAREY lost a thing!!!
    I have been under my calorie goal everyday (bar one) and usually if I were eating this little, I know I'd have lost more! - I do however feel very bloated, I'm wondering whether it's slowed down my digestion?

But I really don't know.
    I told myself that I would detox for two weeks, so I'm reluctant to stop, but I am expecting a big change soon! - Perhaps I will lose the weight when I start eating normally again???

It's pretty unlikely that fruits and vegetables (lots of fibre) is going to slow down your digestion, if anything it's likely to have the opposite effect but the bloating just may be gas if you've had a sudden increase in fibre intake.

Forget the word "detox" - your body does that all by itself and focus on eating well (balanced diet of lean proteins, fruits, vegetables). Are you exercising regularly?
  • Queen_M
    Queen_M Posts: 70
    Options
    Apparently bananas, cherries and grapes aren't great foods for dieters... maybe stick to other fruits that aren't as sweet.

I beg to differ. I eat bananas everyday and cherries probably 5 times a week and they'e never caused any problem with losing weight for me. Everyone is totally different.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i think its silly! fruits and veggies are good for you! bananas as well...except if your a diabetic i guess! i eat banana s before or after my workouts they are good for that! i think your not eating to match your workouts!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

eat the bananas, I eat one every single day without fail or regret for over a year. you wanna eat natural sugars, limit processed/refined sugars and you're golden
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    bananas are great! :love:

Per 100g banana, there is only 95 calories and less than half a gram of fat! As a bonus it will provide 17mg calcium, 78mcg carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and around 88mg of potassium, an essential nutrient. :smile:
    also
    They contain natural sugars for sustained energy, very important for exercise, plus a satisfying amount of fiber, in approximately 100 calories. They're rich in vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose levels and keeps your moods at an even keel. They're also a good source of potassium, which helps to enhance alertness, prevent muscle fatigue, and control high blood pressure. And bananas are available fresh year-round, so they're never out of season. In addition, they come in their own package, making them easy to take with you or stick in a kid's backpack. This tasty tropical fruit has other benefits, too. Bananas are rich in tryptophan, the amino acid that helps your body make serotonin, the neurotransmitter associated with relief from depression, anxiety and sleep disorders.
    :bigsmile:

however to much sugar inany form is not great!
    try mixing your fruity snacks with crudites (chopped veges) and cooked meat to still get all the vits and minerals and protein
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bananas are great! :love:

Per 100g banana, there is only 95 calories and less than half a gram of fat! As a bonus it will provide 17mg calcium, 78mcg carotene, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and around 88mg of potassium, an essential nutrient. :smile:
    also
    They contain natural sugars for sustained energy, very important for exercise, plus a satisfying amount of fiber, in approximately 100 calories. They're rich in vitamin B6, which regulates blood glucose levels and keeps your moods at an even keel. They're also a good source of potassium, which helps to enhance alertness, prevent muscle fatigue, and control high blood pressure. And bananas are available fresh year-round, so they're never out of season. In addition, they come in their own package, making them easy to take with you or stick in a kid's backpack. This tasty tropical fruit has other benefits, too. Bananas are rich in tryptophan, the amino acid that helps your body make serotonin, the neurotransmitter associated with relief from depression, anxiety and sleep disorders.
    :bigsmile:

I :heart: this
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Since when is fruit bad?! I don't see many obese monkeys....oh wait...
  • sockablooie
    Options
    Since when is fruit bad?! I don't see many obese monkeys....oh wait...

Funniest thing ever.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If your training harder your more then likely putting weight on due to muscle growth, but losing fat at the same time. Try and limit the high sugar fruits to the few hrs after intense exercise.

You don't build that much muscle in two weeks. However, your muscles retain water, which causes the scale to slow down or stall.
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

I beg to differ. I eat bananas everyday and cherries probably 5 times a week and they'e never caused any problem with losing weight for me. Everyone is totally different.

I'm so happy to hear this cos these threads can be so confusing! I've been trying to up my fruit intake, apples, oranges, bananas and strawberries. How can these be bad for weight loss?