Hep!!! I can't burn any calories

Options
I have been doing Insanity and am on the last week. Today, I did Cardio Abs, Max Cardio Intervals, and Chalene Extreme Lean 1 and barely burned 500 calories. WTF!!! I was panting and doubled over trying to catch my breath and my HRM read 124 bpm. WHAT?!? Can that be right? I know that since the beginning my resting heart rate has gone down to 51 bpm but does that mean I burn nothing now? I am 5'4" and 139 lbs. Yes, I have a lot of lean muscle but doesn't that mean I should burn more not less? Please help, I am so frustrated with myself.

Replies

• withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    For someone in relatively good shape, what I've noticed is that 500 calories for an hour is well.. average-ish.

My kickboxing classes last an hour, they leave me as a wobbly-kneed jello-armed mess and I burn about 600 in them when all's said and done.

If you were just estimating before getting a HRM, it's pretty scary to realize you are not actually a calorie burning ninja who cannot be stopped.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I think I have similar stats to you: I'm 5'4", 139lbs and have a resting heart rate of about 58.

The only thing that elicits a burn of over 600kcals / hour for me is running. I think I've become more efficient as I've lost weight and my fitness levels have improved. If I want a high burn, I've got to run, DVDs don't cut it for me ATM :grumble:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Instead of being frustrated with yourself you should be extremely happy that your fitness has increased so much.

Being fit is more important to health than weight.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Insanity and am on the last week. Today, I did Cardio Abs, Max Cardio Intervals, and Chalene Extreme Lean 1 and barely burned 500 calories. WTF!!! I was panting and doubled over trying to catch my breath and my HRM read 124 bpm. WHAT?!? Can that be right? I know that since the beginning my resting heart rate has gone down to 51 bpm but does that mean I burn nothing now? I am 5'4" and 139 lbs. Yes, I have a lot of lean muscle but doesn't that mean I should burn more not less? Please help, I am so frustrated with myself.

The human body can only lose so much fat 1 day.
    Quit killing yourself!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    For someone in relatively good shape, what I've noticed is that 500 calories for an hour is well.. average-ish.

My kickboxing classes last an hour, they leave me as a wobbly-kneed jello-armed mess and I burn about 600 in them when all's said and done.

If you were just estimating before getting a HRM, it's pretty scary to realize you are not actually a calorie burning ninja who cannot be stopped.

Pretty much this. According to my hrm I used to push 800 calories in 60 minutes of step class, but now I average 550 and some days more like 450. Same thing in pump class, I have to work hard to get over 300, and 450 is a rarity where as that used to be the norm. It fitter I get the more efficient my body works the less bun . . .
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when your fitness level increases. If you want to see some higher calorie burns again you need to try something different that will shock the body and be a challenge for you. For example if you've only been doing DVD's try getting out of the house and going for a run.