How did you determine your goal weight?

Options
I am kind of at a stand still here. But its partly because I am conflicted.
I know that I am in the best shape of my life...and that is great especially after being in the WORST shape of my life just two years ago after gaining 60 lbs while pregnant with my daughter. . However I am still not a super skinny 120. And realistically at 5 foot 8 thats not going to happen again unless I am very sick.

So I am trying to figure out...am I where I should be and is it just maintenence now? How did you determine this?

Sorry I sound so jumbled....this is the mess that my head is... LOL

Replies

• thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I know that I am in the best shape of my life...and that is great especially after being in the WORST shape of my life just two years ago after gaining 60 lbs while pregnant with my daughter. . However I am still not a super skinny 120. And realistically at 5 foot 8 thats not going to happen again unless I am very sick.

So I am trying to figure out...am I where I should be and is it just maintenence now? How did you determine this?

• lose2cruise
    lose2cruise Posts: 107
    Options
    I wanted my BMI to be in the healthy range and not to get too skinny, so I found that 145 was a good range for me.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

IMHO, shoot for body fat %. Where you are, it's a much better guide then BMI. If you have a Body Fat % of between 16 and 22% you're very very healthy. This also alows you to put on muscle (which, in my opinion, looks very good on a woman with about 18 or 19% body fat)
  • MrsMMeyer
    MrsMMeyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/ideal_body_weight.htm
    follow this link and you can find out your ideal body weight and a bunch of other cool tools for helping in your weight loss. good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal at the top of the healthy bmi because I have muscles hips and shoulders lol built to be bigger however when I get to that weight if I don't feel healthy enough I'll keep going if I feel like my bones are sticking out to much I'll put on a couple pounds to cover em! I have read its all about the weight u feel most comfortable and healthy at... Its prolly best to choose a weight in the appropriate bmi though :)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to my pre-pregnancy weight, which is 130 (i'm 5'7). I was 120 back in my mid-30's, but now at 46 and with a family, I don't think that's a rational goal.
  • harleygirl6363
    harleygirl6363 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Like you I realize it is unrealistic to think Ill get back to my high school weight which was 125 when i was in 9th grade and 135 when i graduated. Ive come to terms with that. For me I decided that I looked and felt great when I was at 140 so why not go for that weight. This weight is also the highest I can be and be considered in the healthy range as well as my BMI be considered healthy. At this point in my life I just want to be healthy, Im not sure if this helped any but thats how I figured it out. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal weight based off my before babies weight when I felt good and looked great! Something I always remember is to pick a goal weight and see how you feel at that weight, you might find that you feel better 5-10 heavier or lighter.

Picking and "ideal" weight is like picking winning lottery numbers, you don't really know how it will feel until you are there!