protein shakes as meal substitutes..

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The very basic point you are refuting here is that eating increases metabolism....

No, the point I am refuting is that the increase in metabolism is not frequency based. You can eat all of your food in 1 sitting and get the same net thermic effect from eating as you would having eaten the same quantity of food spread out over 6 meals.

Do you understand what I am getting at? Also, every link I've provided suggests that the frequency of feeding does not have an impact on the total thermic effect. This is what I am trying to establish.

The reason I am adamant about this is because the myth that you need to eat "small frequent meals" to "boost your metabolism" is exactly that, a myth. It needs to die because it can cause people to think they need to eat often to gain some sort of metabolic edge.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Not sure about how effective they are?

I use a whey protein powder and mix with yogurt and fruit. Usually 1x - 2x per week. My goal is to cut out meat altogether. Still trying to figure out how to do so in a healthy manner. And, how to train my body & mind to not crave meat!

Best of luck!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 meals per day and one of those is a post work out protein shake. I've only done the protein shake thing for a week now, but I love it. I do two scoops of protein powder - 52 grams of protein( only one scoop on non-workout days)- and add any mixture of fruit, or plain Greek yogurt, or unsweetened almond milk, or peanut butter, etc. My second meal consists of usually red meat or chicken and veggies and or a small serving of carbs. The protein shake I make contributes to half my protein needs for the day and have the rest in food. So far, so good!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Not sure about how effective they are?

I use a whey protein powder and mix with yogurt and fruit. Usually 1x - 2x per week. My goal is to cut out meat altogether. Still trying to figure out how to do so in a healthy manner. And, how to train my body & mind to not crave meat!

Best of luck!

I found a sure fire way to solve this problem.

Whenever I crave meat...I eat meat...and then I don't crave it anymore. It's been working VERY well for me thus far. I just had a pound of chicken for lunch, tomorrow I'm eyeing a 20 oz steak. =)

As for TEF, I think what it comes down to, whichever side you agree with (I'm personally on the side that frequency doesn't matter, as the studies I've read seem to support that), whatever makes it easier for you to meet your calorie/macro targets is probably the path you should take. If you're like me, and it's easier to eat 2 large meals and then not eat much at all for the rest of the day, you'd be more likely to overeat trying to force yourself to eat a whole bunch of mini-meals. Even if there was a TEF boost from having 20 small meals (and I'm not saying there is), it's not going to overcome the fact that trying to make myself eat so many meals I'd probably end up going over my cals by an easy 1000+. Likewise if you get light headed and dizzy and such if you don't eat often, multiple meals is probably going to keep you feeling good and more likely to stick with your diet. That, long term, will have a better impact than any minor gains you might derive from IF.

Figure out what you need to eat and how much of it, then eat that throughout the day in whatever fashion is easiest for you. It's really not that complicated.
  • sedelagarza
    sedelagarza Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I make a meal out of my protein shakes, I take one scoop of powder mix in 8oz chocolate almond milk, 1 small banana, and some peanut butter. All together it comes out to 303 calories which is about a meal. I drink for one meal a day but I do a lot of work outs that inculde strength training.
  • sedelagarza
    sedelagarza Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I make a meal out of my protein shakes, I take one scoop of powder mix in 8oz chocolate almond milk, 1 small banana, and some peanut butter. All together it comes out to 303 calories which is about a meal. I drink for one meal a day but I do a lot of work outs that inculde strength training.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I agree that real food is the best way to go, but I absolutely love my protein shakes. I usually use a scoop of vanilla or chocolate whey protein, .5 cup to 6 oz. of unsweetened almond milk, 3 or 4 ice cubes, then either fruit, peanut butter, nutella, or even sugar free instant pudding mix once in a while. It usually comes out to about 300 calories and keeps me full till lunch. It's like having a milkshake for breakfast, so it feels like I'm treating myself every day.

My new favorite is chocolate protein powder with 1 tbsp of nutella and a tsp or two of instant coffee (with almond milk and ice). It tastes like a coffee coolatta but is a million times healthier.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    bump to read later
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I did slim fast for a long time (out of laziness more than anything) and I fared just fine (thought I didn't really gain or lose weight). In choosing a meal shake, you need to make sure it has the proper nutrients, not just protein, which is why real food is better. I do like making myself protein shakes as post workout snacks though. I use the Designer Whey from Trader Joe's, and add fruit, milk, peanut butter, etc to it. I also add it to oatmeal and other things to give me a little extra protein.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes (protein powder, strawberries,banana and soy milk) to make breakfast on days that I'm going to be lacking protein. But that's to supplement what I'm eating, not replace meals
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    The very basic point you are refuting here is that eating increases metabolism....

No, the point I am refuting is that the increase in metabolism is not frequency based. You can eat all of your food in 1 sitting and get the same net thermic effect from eating as you would having eaten the same quantity of food spread out over 6 meals.

Do you understand what I am getting at? Also, every link I've provided suggests that the frequency of feeding does not have an impact on the total thermic effect. This is what I am trying to establish.

The reason I am adamant about this is because the myth that you need to eat "small frequent meals" to "boost your metabolism" is exactly that, a myth. It needs to die because it can cause people to think they need to eat often to gain some sort of metabolic edge.

I do understand your point, but like I said, your references refute the significance of the net thermogenesis rather than the fact it actually happens. Having 6 meals can also contribute to increased leptin levels to decrease your hunger pangs and help diet.

As for 1 sitting I wouldn't advise that for a number of reasons. However a window eating in the IF fasting model which is being advocated strongly nowadays is a very good idea. Your references were impressive however in science there are always 2 sides to the story, for example hypertrophy vs. hyperplasia.

You can be adamant about a point but experience tells me otherwise. Just so you know im not some uneducated internet scrub trying to argue a silly point against you, this is MY latest publication, paper pending. Although I have moved more into the mother/foetus dynamics of dietary requirements, I do know what im talking about.

http://www.physoc.org/proceedings/abstract/Proc Physiol Soc 24PC22
  • EmMaKe26
    EmMaKe26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of smoothies, but I find I use them as a lunch or breakfast replacement occasionally (not regularly). I agree with several people who have said they make their own, instead of buying expensive shakes. It's not that hard and a lot cheaper. I buy whey protein isolate at the bulk store and add a mix of any of the following: milk, juice, applesauce, banana (frozen in peel), frozen berries, yogourt, etc. The biggest expense will be the protein powder still, but buying it in its purest form in bulk should still save you some $$ (and maybe be better for you in the long run without the additives, but that is just my opinion). Happy smoothie-ing!
  • techigirl78
    techigirl78 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I eat a shake almost every morning. I use whey protein, but mix in other stuff as well and it gives me a bigger variety - yogurt, fruit (using different kinds), spinich, peanut butter, almond butter, soy milk, skim milk, flaxseed, splashes of different juicies. Makes a variety and one of my biggest downfalls that made me get bigger was eating a lot of shakes. The protein shakes replace the craving while giving me a lot of carbs and protein in the morning. Usually I don't even think about food till lunchtime.
  • PAFMP
    PAFMP Posts: 15
    Options
    I've found that I need protien first thing in the morning and a protien shake/smoothie works best. I do soy milk, 1 cup of berries, and protien powder. That sticks with me through the morning, and it's very healthy and under 250 calories.
  • teripendleton
    Options
    I thought I would try the ViSalus program and substitute two shakes a day. I'm on my second day and I am so hungry. I am eating the same number of calories I was before the shakes, I just thought they would be easier because I didn't have to think about what I was eating. I am gong to stick it out for a couple of weeks but I would say just use them when you're in a hurry or don't feel like planning a meal.
  • teripendleton
    Options
    I
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I do understand your point, but like I said, your references refute the significance of the net thermogenesis rather than the fact it actually happens.

Of course my references aren't going to refute thermogenesis. All of the sources I provided agree that it happens and coincidentally they're in pretty close agreement as to what extent it occurs.

The only variable I'm discussing right now is that frequency isn't a factor in net thermogenic effect. That's it.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    I do understand your point, but like I said, your references refute the significance of the net thermogenesis rather than the fact it actually happens.

Of course my references aren't going to refute thermogenesis. All of the sources I provided agree that it happens and coincidentally they're in pretty close agreement as to what extent it occurs.

The only variable I'm discussing right now is that frequency isn't a factor in net thermogenic effect. That's it.

Net thermogenic effects differ for everyone and the only paper you references that used statistical analysis was done with a group of similar people. Needs to be more fluid. They don't take into account shift work etc. Homoeostasis is a dynamic process, your body is a dynamic, complex phenomenon. Thermogenesis is just 1 tool in your arsenal and tbh not a very important one. Grazing has many more benefits including endocrine advantages, just as IF can aid neuronal resistance. Meal frequency is very important.
  • slscheffer1
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast by adding 1 cup frozen strawberries & bananas, I cup milk, 1/2 cup water and the protein powder. Makes for a quick and easy milkshake for breakfasts on the go. I also find it quite filling. I eat lunch and have a mid-afternoon shake and then a very sensible dinner
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every morning for breakfast. I am not a fan of breakfast foods and when I would eat normal foods like cereal or oatmeal or even eggs I'd be hungry a couple of hours later and need a snack. My shakes keep me full until lunchtime so for me it is a big help in managing calories. I use 100% whey isolate protein that per scoop is 110 cals, 1g carbs, and o sugar. To that I add one cup of unsweetened almond milk(lactose intolerant), 2 tbs peanut or almond butter, and a handful of baby spinach. I also add ice to make it thicker. It keeps me full for 3-4 hours. On my workout days I save it for afterwards to double as a recovery shake but I don't eat before the workout. Using protein powder also helps me meet my protein goals. Without it I find it hard to reach my levels.