Weight Lifting

Options
What's a good routine for weight lifting and cardio to burn fat and build a little muscle, but not a lot? More interested in the fat burning. Low weight high reps? Where does my heart rate need to be? What about diet?

Replies

• bige2401
    bige2401 Posts: 63
    Options
    What's a good routine for weight lifting and cardio to burn fat and build a little muscle, but not a lot? More interested in the fat burning. Low weight high reps? Where does my heart rate need to be? What about diet?
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    In order to get the fat burning, I think you need more cardio than weights. A good option is Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred DVD. It combines weights, cardio and abs in a circuit, and gives a good workout.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Don't be afraid of the weights nor the muscle- Muscle is great because with muscles you burn constantly after your workout-

And don't worry fat can't turn into muscle either thats just a myth-

As far as jillian michaels shred thats for females and thats for toning not weight so much weight loss- IMHO-

I am a female and I am leg pressing 170lbs- I am not afraid of weights-
    Tonight I am going for my Max bench press
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    Sounds like P90X is for you. The workout alternates between cardio days and weight days. They also cover crazy amount of pull ups. But be ready to feel the pain.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

Don't be afraid of the weights nor the muscle- Muscle is great because with muscles you burn constantly after your workout-

As far as jillian michaels shred thats for females and thats for toning not weight so much weight loss- IMHO-

Good god, my 1 rep max for my leg press is like 165 and that almost ripped my quads off the bone!!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Sounds like P90X is for you. The workout alternates between cardio days and weight days. They also cover crazy amount of pull ups. But be ready to feel the pain.

I agree!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Good god, my 1 rep max for my leg press is like 165 and that almost ripped my quads off the bone!!

thats not my max though i still have to figure that out.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

If you have all of these questions, a program like P90X or, depending what shape you're in, P90 may be for you.

The Beachbody product cuts out ALL of the guesswork by giving you the option of building muscle (8-10 reps) or building "lean" (12-15 reps). You will burn fat through the weight routines and kenpo, plyometrics and yoga.

There is also a very easy to follow laid out eating program and Tony frequently discusses heartrate throughout the program.

A week from today I will be 120 days through the program and I've dropped over 60% of my existing bodyfat and have gone from a size 48 to a 34 (maybe 32...) jean.

Best of luck...:drinker:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

That's what I'm saying....you're pressing 170 for your normal workout! WOW! :drinker: My legs have always been the weaker part of me. I hate working them out. I'd rather do upper body so I don't spend as much time as I should on it. :ohwell:
  • mrsyac2
    Options

That's what I'm saying....you're pressing 170 for your normal workout! WOW! :drinker: My legs have always been the weaker part of me. I hate working them out. I'd rather do upper body so I don't spend as much time as I should on it. :ohwell:

Wow we are complete opposite- I love working lower body I hate working upper body especially chest and biceps :grumble: -
    When I played sports I always focused on my lower body in the weight room and never on my upper- Now im trying the balancing act out- I am weak in my upper body but I am still working on it I have to build up
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    fat burning happens when you are taking in fewer calories than you are using. So, if you are already eating at a deficit, you are ALREADY losing fat. Cardio with strengthen your heart and that is good, but if you eat back your exercise calories (and you should be) it won't help you lose fat any faster (slow and steady, right?) Now I'm not saying you shouldn't do cardio! I run almost everyday and I love it, I'm just trying to explain that it won't increase your fat loss if you are already eating at a deficit and following the MFP guidlines of eating back exercise calories.

it sounds like you don't really want to build a lot of muscle, more like you're looking to tone what you have. You will want to stick to low weight and longer reps. I've been working out like this for over a month now and have seen major results, especially in my arms, thighs, calves and back. Just make sure your form is proper or you're doing all the work for nothing, and you're risking a serious injury.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    fat burning happens when you are taking in fewer calories than you are using. So, if you are already eating at a deficit, you are ALREADY losing fat. Cardio with strengthen your heart and that is good, but if you eat back your exercise calories (and you should be) it won't help you lose fat any faster (slow and steady, right?) Now I'm not saying you shouldn't do cardio! I run almost everyday and I love it, I'm just trying to explain that it won't increase your fat loss if you are already eating at a deficit and following the MFP guidlines of eating back exercise calories.

it sounds like you don't really want to build a lot of muscle, more like you're looking to tone what you have. You will want to stick to low weight and longer reps. I've been working out like this for over a month now and have seen major results, especially in my arms, thighs, calves and back. Just make sure your form is proper or you're doing all the work for nothing, and you're risking a serious injury.

It is a MYTH that High Reps Burn the Most FAT..........

It's true that the more reps you do, the more calories you burning during a workout. Yet a typical weight routine won't burn much more than 400 calories regardless of how many reps you do . The BIG FAT LOSS comes afterward because your metabolic rate remains elevated throughout the day.

The higher and longer you keep your metabolic rate elevated the more calories and fat you'll burn.

Research confirms that using heavy weight and lower reps (6-10) boosts your metabolism higher for longer periods.

When trying to get lean, alternate between heavy workouts with low reps and light workouts with high reps, and keep your rest periods as short as possible between sets (30-60 seconds) Short rest periods burn more calories during the workout..
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    In order to get the fat burning, I think you need more cardio than weights. A good option is Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred DVD. It combines weights, cardio and abs in a circuit, and gives a good workout.

That's good or the Biggest Loser Cardio and Biggest Loser Sculpt are good ones too!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Rule #1- Low reps are best for building muscle strength.

Reps in the range of 1-7, which means you can't lift the weight more than seven times, are best for building strength.This is because lifting a weight that limits your rep range places an overload on your muscle fibers which appears to train the nerves that communicate with the muscles to fre faster and more synchronously -(muscles get stronger but not bigger)

Rule #2- Moderate reps are best for developing muscle mass.

Reps in the 8-12 range are best for growth. The weight overload creates enough stress on the muscle fibers and metabolic stress inside the muscle cells to perfectly initiate the processes that kick-start hypertrophy.

Rule #3- High Reps are best for building muscle endurance.

Reps in the 13-plus range are best for training the muscle's metabolic pathways to build endurance, without providing enough overload to instigate much strength or growth change.

***Now that doesn't mean that you just pick one of the rules that apply to you - you should alternate your reps and the amount of weight or your muscles become stagnate without results****
  • kerrilucko
    Options

It's true that the more reps you do, the more calories you burning during a workout. Yet a typical weight routine won't burn much more than 400 calories regardless of how many reps you do . The BIG FAT LOSS comes afterward because your metabolic rate remains elevated throughout the day.

The higher and longer you keep your metabolic rate elevated the more calories and fat you'll burn.

Research confirms that using heavy weight and lower reps (6-10) boosts your metabolism higher for longer periods.

When trying to get lean, alternate between heavy workouts with low reps and light workouts with high reps, and keep your rest periods as short as possible between sets (30-60 seconds) Short rest periods burn more calories during the workout..

uh...? ok, show me where I said that high reps burn fat? I believe I said eating at a deficit burns fat and that high reps in weight training tones lean muscle. seriously, read my post before you comment on it.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options

Reps in the range of 1-7, which means you can't lift the weight more than seven times, are best for building strength.This is because lifting a weight that limits your rep range places an overload on your muscle fibers which appears to train the nerves that communicate with the muscles to fre faster and more synchronously -(muscles get stronger but not bigger)

Reps in the 8-12 range are best for growth. The weight overload creates enough stress on the muscle fibers and metabolic stress inside the muscle cells to perfectly initiate the processes that kick-start hypertrophy.

Reps in the 13-plus range are best for training the muscle's metabolic pathways to build endurance, without providing enough overload to instigate much strength or growth change.

***Now that doesn't mean that you just pick one of the rules that apply to you - you should alternate your reps and the amount of weight or your muscles become stagnate without results****

Wow...that was great information...thanks!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

uh...? ok, show me where I said that high reps burn fat? I believe I said eating at a deficit burns fat and that high reps in weight training tones lean muscle. seriously, read my post before you comment on it.

UH.....? No need to get an attitude and you did say and I quote " You will want to stick to low weight and longer reps"-- So seriously I am just giving info no need to get sarcastic or throw an attitude...

I based my post off of yours because you mentioned low weight with higher reps
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Wow...that was great information...thanks!

Your welcome! :wink:
    Glad someone appreciated it :tongue:
  • kerrilucko
    Options

UH.....? No need to get an attitude and you did say and I quote " You will want to stick to low weight and longer reps"-- So seriously I am just giving info no need to get sarcastic or throw an attitude...

I don't have an attitude and I in no way stated that low weight and higher reps would result in fat burning. When you quote someone else's thread that way, intentionally or not, it looks like you are commenting directly ABOUT their quote.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

I don't have an attitude and I in no way stated that low weight and higher reps would result in fat burning. When you quote someone else's thread that way, intentionally or not, it looks like you are commenting directly ABOUT their quote.

Okay well I will comment directly on your quote- Not always when you are eating at a calorie deficit are you losing fat- You could also be losing your muscle too- Because muscle will be used as a source of fuel too so alot times the muscle is being attacked rather than the actual fat- thats why deficits aren't the only form of fat loss you need to work on maintaining your lean muscle and or increasing it while burning the fat and the more lean muscle mass you have the more the furnace in your body will work to burn the fat off- Thats why you can weigh less but still have a high fat percentage

I can tell you take your posting very seriously...