Exercising on an empty stomach

Options
13»

Replies

• TerryJStroud
    TerryJStroud Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i do complex carbs about an hour before for energy and then protein after.. to rebuild muscle

That's EXACTLY what I used to do. I'd get up and have something very small (since I didn't eat in the mornings very easily anyway), otherwise I'd get sick. After I worked out, I would have something high in protein. Used to work well for me.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    According to Bill Phillips: cardio on empty; weight training requires food.
    Bill Phillips is wrong.

There are millions of people who weight train in a fasted state and have no problems. Checkout www.leangains.com.

Bill Phillips will say whatever he needs to say to sell more myoplex.

I feel great weight training on an empty stomach.I mostly do cardio on an empty stomach if I'm keeping it to 30 mins or less. If I'm playing sports I eat something a few hours before.
    True dat.
  • angiebarker
    angiebarker Posts: 127
    Options
    I usually always workout about a half hour to an hour after i eat. Not because im worried its going to make me sick or whatever just that i always feel too full after eating. Lately though my hunny and i have been going for walks right after dinner....hmm
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Exercising on an empty stomach does not provide any greater fat loss than exercising with food. Even if it does result in greater "fat burning" during the workout, the amount of fat burned during the workout has zero effect on losing stored body fat. Depending on the amount fat burned during a workout, the body adjusts fat oxidation at rest so that, after 24 hours, there is no difference.

Great post.

There are seemingly many areas of nutrition/fitness where people get very caught up in the short term/acute effects without looking at a larger time frame. Coincidentally, in many of these areas the big picture shows that the acute is meaningless.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're eating. You want to make sure if you eat anything hard or complex to break down you allow more time for it to break down. Simple carbohydrate snack can be eaten pretty much any time before a workout.

I never have a good work out on an empty stomach. I have my best workouts about 30-45 minutes after a bowl of oatmeal and a bottle of water and then sometimes an apple on the way to the gym. It probably depends on your workout. I workout hard, so doing so on an empty stomach pretty much is NOT an option. I wouldn't make it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know any science that supports one way or the other, I think it boils down to personal preference. I *cannot* eat anything solid in the morning, I haven't been able to since I was a little kid. I roll out of bed at 5:30, do my exercise routine, and have a protein shake afterwards. The first solid food I eat is at lunch.

There is a lot of science, however, for the average exerciser, it usually doesn't make a huge amount of difference. That's one of the reasons why there often appears to be such discrepancies-- we have a lot of fuel reserves that are usually not fully taxed during the average person's workout. Plus there are a number of other factors that can affect a workout other than pre-execise feeding.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I alway eat something maybe an hour before my workouts and a small snack right after, I been doing this way for over a year and I've lost weight.