HELP I'm afraid of the gym...

Options
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some help/motivation.

I'm afraid of the gym. I just recently got a pass through my university, and have been using the elliptical arc machine, and I think I'm doing it right... I just put it on weight loss. That takes me about 30-45 minutes. But... then what?

I don't know how to use a lot of the machines, and I can't afford a personal trainer to take me through. The guys in the gym are all student athletes (mainly male) who are super intimidating, lifting huge amounts of weight.

Does anyone have any ideas for other machines I should be using, or weight lifting ideas (small, easy to use is best)? I feel like I'm wasting my membership, I'm so lost once I get off the elliptical!

Thanks guys :laugh:

Replies

• tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I'm afraid of the gym. I just recently got a pass through my university, and have been using the elliptical arc machine, and I think I'm doing it right... I just put it on weight loss. That takes me about 30-45 minutes. But... then what?

I don't know how to use a lot of the machines, and I can't afford a personal trainer to take me through. The guys in the gym are all student athletes (mainly male) who are super intimidating, lifting huge amounts of weight.

Does anyone have any ideas for other machines I should be using, or weight lifting ideas (small, easy to use is best)? I feel like I'm wasting my membership, I'm so lost once I get off the elliptical!

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    A lot of the machines have instructions on them about how to use them. You could also look on something like youtube to get some visuals on how to work out on the machines.

They're REALLY easy to use.

Don't worry about the guys in the gym. They're WAY too busy worrying about how they look. They won't even notice you! :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    When using the machines like an elliptical or a treadmill, try to enter your weight and age if possible. The more info it has, the better.

And don't be afraid to ask at the front desk for a club tour! They need to show you what to do...no one can assume you know how to use it all! Orrrrrrrrr, ask the cute guy next to you to show you how to use a machine! :wink:

Chances are, the people around you are so focused on what they are doing, that they aren't paying attention to what you ar or aren't doing. Once you're comfortable there, you'll notice that you don't really pay attention to others too! :)
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    lol damn i really need to stop looking at my self :)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I felt your pain, feeling like a fattie in a college gym. I hated my college gym. It was miserable. I hated working out there.

My advice is to go early in the mornings. Those people are there to actually work out. If you go in the evenings, you will see the girls in the full face of makeup and jewelry and the guys more interested in groaning the loudest to attract the makeup girls. :grumble:

Ask the worker at the desk to show you the machine or machines you are interested in. Have them show you how it works and ask them to watch you on it to see if you are doing it correctly. That is what they are there for... not just to swipe your card as you come in.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I felt your pain, feeling like a fattie in a college gym. I hated my college gym. It was miserable. I hated working out there.

My advice is to go early in the mornings. Those people are there to actually work out. If you go in the evenings, you will see the girls in the full face of makeup and jewelry and the guys more interested in groaning the loudest to attract the makeup girls. :grumble:

Ask the worker at the desk to show you the machine or machines you are interested in. Have them show you how it works and ask them to watch you on it to see if you are doing it correctly. That is what they are there for... not just to swipe your card as you come in.

Damnit Lauryn....I wear full make up to the gym!!!! What do you want me to do?? Wash it all off right after work??? :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

Look at this site. It explains what muscles are worked and shows how the machines work. Ask some of teh guys at the gym, they will help as long as you don't keep them from working out too long. Or watch somebody that has a trainer and see what they do.

I had 150 lbs to lose and went to the gym. I go 5 - 6 times a week and I am now recognized as a regular there. Everybody says good morning and goes on with their workout.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

Damnit Lauryn....I wear full make up to the gym!!!! What do you want me to do?? Wash it all off right after work??? :grumble:

Doesn't it get all smeary when you work out?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

Silly..you aren't supposed to sweat...just look good
  • cardigirl
    Options

Hee! Yeah, that's true. :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ask the front desk if there is anyone that can take you on a walk through and explain the equipment to you. Most gyms have a trainer or manager that can walk you through and get on the machines and explain the basics.

If not recommend your gym offer this, I know some gyms don't let you come in for your first workout until you have completed this phase. This is due to liablity issues and it is in their best interest to give you the tools to avoid some injuries.

Otherwise, like Ice said, the machines generally have instructions and horrible cartoonish drawings to give you a basic idea what to do and what muscles that particular machine will work so you know you are doing it incorrectly if way different muscles are hurting.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I say walk up to one of those buff guys and boost their ego ask them how something works...hehhe
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

"silly..you arent supposed to sweat ...just look good "
    ooooh that explains it all ways wondered why i always look like a wet dog after i work out damnit :mad:
  • cardigirl
    Options

"silly..you arent supposed to sweat ...just look good "
    ooooh that explains it all ways wondered why i always look like a wet dog after i work out damnit :mad:

Must be because you forgot your makeup. :wink:

Sorry for the thread hijack, tig3rang3l.

I agree with the others, ask the person managing the gym to show you what machines to use. I'm shy too, but every staff person at my gym has been more than happy to help me out when I asked.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options

Me too - even if I am leaving from home I still put makeup on why not look good when you're all sweaty.....
  • tig3rang3l
    Options
    Thank you all!!! I've been going right before my 7:00pm class... maybe that's the problem, need to go earlier...
  • tig3rang3l
    Options

I say walk up to one of those buff guys and boost their ego ask them how something works...hehhe

Oh if only my confidence was that high!!!! Lol, maybe 10 pounds from now, hehe
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    In my experience gym people aren't the nicest people in the world so whatever you do don't ask any of your fellow gym goers for help. I'd suggest finding a member of the gym staff and seeing if they have any programs you can follow. Some gyms provide workout schedules for paying members.

I don't know how university gyms work though but you might even be able to find a gym schedule online. Just ask google! Google knows all!
  • cardigirl
    Options

Me too - even if I am leaving from home I still put makeup on why not look good when you're all sweaty.....

Gee, when I'm all sweaty my makeup starts sliding off my face. :wink:
  • tig3rang3l
    Options

Gee, when I'm all sweaty my makeup starts sliding off my face. :wink:

I've done this before, and I looked like a raccoon... even with the waterproof mascara.