what do you order when you have sushi?

Options
tequila09
tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
I'm having an early sushi dinner tonight so I would like to know what others eat when you have sushi.

I'm skipping breakfast and having a very light fruit lunch so I'm not too worried about it but still curious :)

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You can eat as low cal or as high as you want with sushi, depending on what kind. Sashimi is your best bet- pure protein and you can eat loads of it for few calories (like 30-40 calories per piece).

As far as rolls go, obviously stay away from anything tempura, "crispy", or fried.
    Spicy tuna rolls have a mayo based condiment (the spicy part) that adds calories fast.
    Eel also is in a sauce that adds on the calories.
    Avocado in rolls is delicious and healthy fat, so if you can spare the calories, enjoy!
    Generally any crazy roll with sauces and whatnot will jack up the calories.

A plain tuna roll is a good choice (less than 200 calories for a whole roll). Salmon is higher calorie but again, a healthy fat so a good choice if you can spare the calories.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    You just had to go there. I love me some California Rolls :love:
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    One of everything :drinker:
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Salmon sashimi and raw oystersss. That's what I get. Sometimes an eel roll if I have a bunch of calories to spare.
  • sethdale
    sethdale Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oooh its my favourite, so miss good sushi (I live in the UK at the mo so no sushi).
    salmon sashimi is my favourite. miso soup. Just steer clear of any tempura which is fried.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Raw rolls only. If you can find the ones wrapped in seaweed or cucumber, order those. I have started ordering just plain sashimi (raw fish, no rice.) My favorite local sushi place has somehting called tuna kibatchi which is raw tuna sliced and marinated in a spicy clear sauce served over diced cucumber. It is delish!

Try this link: http://www.fitsugar.com/Low-Calorie-Sushi-Orders-15330450
  • tequila09
    Options
    Mmmm I'm definitely a fan of salmon sashimi!! I can spare the calories so I'm probably going to have my favorite roll a Philadelphia :P I just love a little cream cheese in my roll mmmm. Oo and ill probably have some plain edamame!! I can't wait to go hahah
  • tequila09
    Options
    You just had to go there. I love me some California Rolls :love:

Mmmm have you tried it with cream cheese so bad yet so so good
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    crunchy sht
  • rachaldenise
    rachaldenise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Salmon Sashimi! Mmmmmmmmm
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I always start with either a seaweed salad or squid salad and miso soup. Like everyone else said the shashimi is best when watching cals but you can get the raw slices on rice too to help fill you up. Just watch your rolls cuz the rice will add calories fast and say away from fried I love me some sushi!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Godzilla, Philly, 3 C, Hanako, Cucumber, shrimp tempura, and tamago (cooked egg) rolls
    Oh and I also like edemame (not too much salt but helps you feel full)
  • jpsgrl
    jpsgrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    spicy sashimi salad or you can ask them to wrap your sushi in cucumber instead of rice. That is the only way I eat Sushi. 7 pieces raw slices, with veggie and torreados sauce is 146 calories. No need to skip meals to make up for a Sushi night....
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    spicy tuna spicy tuna spicy tuna....Enjoy yourself and exercise!
  • Bfrac27
    Bfrac27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stay away from cream cheese filled rolls. I really like cooked eel rolls or crab!
  • keependuring
    keependuring Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just order the sashimi, tuna, yellowtail, and salmon. NO RICE or just a bit. Way too many calories.
  • Bandie77
    Bandie77 Posts: 11
    Options
    Philadelphia roll
    California roll
    Sweet potato roll
    Shrimp tempura
    Spicy tuna

anything but Eel!

And i know the tempura is the WORST, but, ITS.SO.Good.

Dang.. now ive got a sushi craving. !
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I get a sashimi appetizer, and stick with spicy tuna or spicy salmon rolls. Nothing with cream cheese, fried ingredients (crunchy), or any kind of sauce. Also, low sodium soy sauce and lots of wasabi! Enjoy!
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    If I have the calories to spare, shrimp tempura roll is my all-time favorite!
  • hanamelia
    Options
    Don't skip breakfast! It's what gets your metabolism going!

If anything, split your fruit between breakfast/lunch, but like others said, there are so many options for a low-calorie sushi meal that you don't really need to skip anything -- just don't overdo it.