weight gain before period?

Options

Replies

• alphagirl82
    Options
    yes you can gain weight with your period, it is normally fluid retention. drink nettle or dandelion tea, it can help.

This.

I am in the last two days of a weight loss competition, am drinking nettle tea a few times a day along with a cranberry herbal tea, and have lost 3 pounds. In my case, I fully acknowledge that it's just water weight and I'll likely gain it back, but I can confirm that it definitely works to bring down the numbers on the scale.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I woke up to a 4 pound weight gain. Yay for being female.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i also gain around 3-6 pounds everytime my period rolls around.... I figure losing weight 3 out of 4 weeks of the month is still great :)
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    This should give you some facts about what happens to your body during your menstrual cycle :flowerforyou:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/menstruation.cfm
  • clariangel
    clariangel Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yup, I usually gain a couple of pounds before my period and they stay on during my period. then once my TOM is finished, the extra pounds go away. i think it's just hormonal and water weight. i wouldn't worry about it.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I gain 3-7 pounds every month at that time. I also take Pamprin with a diuretic in it to lessen that yucky bloated feeling.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm always all over the place with my weight around that time of the month, but my periods are heavy and a bit unpredictable themselves sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it or even bother to weigh yourself when on if it's going to bother you although keeping a record would be interesting if you wanted to look for a pattern.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I always weigh heavier in the few days before my period, usually 2-3 pounds. It magically disappears when my period begins. :)

same here
  • kenzybear7
    kenzybear7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! I was 146 the day before my period started, and a couple days in, the scale read about 152! I nearly had a heart attack! Thankfully, it's been coming back down over the past day or so, and is at about 146 again. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be a few pounds under that since I've been working my butt off!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Guess what. You will gain that water weight every month before your period until you don't have a period anymore. It's just part of it. Learn to take it in stride.

Also, set some non-scale goals for yourself so you can work towards them. If you can't handle the fluctuations that are going to happen, then stop weighing that week.
  • BlondeToast
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread, I have the exact same thing and was feeling really discouraged and demotivated about my weight gain (5lbs more than last week, period due next week... ). No more weighing the week before for me!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but I feel like this topic is covered at least once a day.....
    Then don't answer:smile:
    OP, I have noticed about 3 pounds that come and go around that time. I just stop weighing myself for a few days.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks... I had never seen this topic posted before and I have been on MFP for years. I was wondering if it is just me!!
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too...It can be anywhere between 2-6 lbs! Maybe try increasing your water intake. That may help get that extra water weight off.

Good luck!
  • Judanjos
    Judanjos Posts: 87
    Options
    After reading this I had an epiphany. I'm so there right now and I'm worried that I gained weight. Duh...water retention. Facepalm moment. Now I feel better.
  • KSherman27
    KSherman27 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I had lost weight and weighed myself the other night and now I am four pounds heavier! I wonder if it is the BC pills I just started taking but I guess there is no way to know until after my cycle.
  • cathiwitkowski
    cathiwitkowski Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually go up between 3 and 7 lbs before and during ToM. Just don't weigh that week if it will get you down to see the numbers going up. Once it's over the water weight will disappear and you'll be back to where you started, or even less.

44683883.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am a freak of nature and I always, always lose weight just before and during my period. Clockwork.

It's kind of nice to see the scale go down, but it's not real. I know that. haha. It goes right back up as soon as it's over.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    This is why I am not weighing in this weekend! Best wait until Tuesday. :)
  • soapski
    soapski Posts: 6
    Options
    I always gain bettween 6 and 7 lbs so depressing and it doesn't help that I just can't help and look at the scale !!!!!!!:sad::cry::sad: