I am only losing inches!! Why :(

Options
I have been doing body by vi for about 3 weeks now. My only problems is I am gaining weight instead of losing it but losing inches. Ive lost about 8 inches in 2 weeks. thats great and all but where is the weight going then??? Please help me

Replies

• lally100
    lally100 Posts: 17
    Options
    You're building muscle and losing fat ( inches! ) that's why the scale isn't moving!
  • xcharlottex92
    xcharlottex92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had exactly the same problem, I think it could possibly down to gaining muscle instead :/
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training? If you are losing inches that means you are shedding fat. Your body composition is changing. You are toning. Thats a good thing. You won't be skinny fat.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You're building muscle and losing fat ( inches! ) that's why the scale isn't moving!

Bingo! Keep it up, eventually the scale will move. This is why many people will say not to invest a lot of worry into the number on the scale.
  • mags080611
    mags080611 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Actually I havent' been working out at all :( Sad I know.
  • kiely13
    kiely13 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

This.

That's why using measurements are more accurate on how you are doing than a scale.
  • happyhiram
    Options
    I have had exactly the same problem, I think it could possibly down to gaining muscle instead :/

Problem? You call losing inches from your waistline and other areas a problem?

....interesting.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you are gaining there is no way it's muscle. In a caloric deficit even with noob gains you aren't gaining a couple pounds of muscle over what you are losing in fat. Just not possible. Most likely it's water and waste weight. Remember a gallon of water weighs around 8 pounds!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've learned not to care about the scale, because it's irrelevant! You see pro athletes that weigh 250 lbs but have 8% body fat---they're doing something right!

If you're losing inches, you're losing body fat and strengthening muscle. Muscle is denser than fat is, so don't worry about the #s on the scale, you're getting in shape! Body fat % is the real # you should focus on.
  • wimbels
    wimbels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, then you are losing body fat! Check your body fat percentage, I bet that number has gone way down. Don't be put off by the number on the scale!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Why are you sad about loosing inches? It's a step in the right direction! 8 inches in 2 weeks is awesome!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why is this a bad thing? I don't understand.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    losing inches is better and healthier than losing weight on the scales. muscle is denser which is why the scales are changing.
  • jessicas0215
    Options

^^^^^^^^
    Exactly this!!!!
  • sgressock
    sgressock Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Inches are a good thing. It's definitely not a problem, and is deserving of a :smile: not a :cry:

Keep it up. Even if the the scale isn't saying your winning, losing inches are.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My sister said this to me the other day, and I just don't get it. Granted, I have never been particularly preoccupied with the number on the scale (though I wouldn't shout it from the rooftops or anything). But if your body is changing for the better, your clothes fit differently, you feel better, etc.... why on earth would you care what's on the scale? I'm not being a jerk, I'm totally serious. I just don't understand it. You're seeing results, so what's the problem?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I kinda fail to see where this is a problem.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    the bigger question is why are you upset over losing inches?!!!?
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So 100% accurate!
    Depending on how much you are gaining there is no way it's muscle. In a caloric deficit even with noob gains you aren't gaining a couple pounds of muscle over what you are losing in fat. Just not possible. Most likely it's water and waste weight. Remember a gallon of water weighs around 8 pounds!