Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Excercise During Pregnancy

I recently found out I am expecting! While over joyed - I am worried about letting all my hard work (13 lbs down) go out the window.

I have been doing Jillian Michaels level 1 30 day shred - and jogging in place during abs.

Anyone have suggestions on pregancy workout videos or blogs I can try? It kills me to not excercise at least 30 min a day.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Congratulations!

I just walked a LOT during pregnancy--probably an average of 5 miles each weekend day and 2 miles on weekdays (in addition to normal walking around, of course). That's about it. I gave up running when I was only about 8 weeks along; I found it too uncomfortable. And I only gained 25 pounds with my 1st pregnancy, 20 with my second. It came off quickly afterward. (Because then I was walking while carrying a 10-pound baby!)

Good luck! Babies are awesome.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    I exercised up to a few weeks before giving birth of all three of my kids without a problem. My doctors recommended to keep my exercise routine up for as long as possible (basically until uncomfortable). I was in great shape while giving birth - maybe best shape in my life. I gained weight later on.

My main exercise was running - I kept a pretty good pace then. I was pretty small though - so it didn't become uncomfortable until late in the pregnancy (I didn't 'pop' until 3-4 weeks before giving birth). I switched to brisk walking a few weeks before birth.
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Congrats!!! I have been talking to a friend about this too. I am not expecting but my husband and I are no longer trying to prevent pregnancy from happening. As you can tell I don't want to get my hopes up in case it takes longer than I think it will...anyway this friend of mine is a trainer and is going to start working with pregnant women. She says that you need to keep it up and do what your body is used to. Just take it easy and don't go all crazy. You know what that is. Another great piece of advise from her is to do yoga to keep building your back muscles because that will make the birth that much easier. My sister used this site during her whole pregnancy, watched her sodium intake very carefully and only gained 23 lbs. I also know a girl that was in track when she found out she was pregnant and the doctor told her it was fine because her body was used to it. Jumping hurdles and everything. Thanks for posting I cant wait to see what everyone has to say!!! Congrats again how exciting!!!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Do what you can for as long as you can. With my first he was really high, and squished my lungs. I stopped running and swimming because I couldn't catch my breath, but I was kickboxing and lifting weights until the day I delivered. With my second I swam the entire time. Do what you are comfortable with- try to keep you heart rate moderate- and keep going! Labor is hard work, and the stamina you build doing cardio all along will help you through the worst of it!
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    And one more thing- don't think of exercise during pregnancy as a way to keep the weight off. Keeping a certain weight or being 'pregorexic' isn't healthy for anyone! Exercise because it makes you feel good and keeps you active.

(I gained 50 pounds with both kids! Don't stress it- it will come off!)
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member
    With my first pregnancy I was overweight before so I only gained 25 lbs. I loved and my baby loved water aerobics. It was very soothing. This time I have already started running and I am hoping to continue running, walking, and water aerobics if we get pregnant again. I have been running for two months and I hope to continue if we get pregnant again. Good luck to everyone here...
  • ShoeDeahva
    ShoeDeahva Posts: 82 Member
    My Doctor has indicated that you can continue doing whatever you were doing prior to getting pregnant. With my first and only child I was completely inactive and he warned against doing too much. I am now fairly active and plan on staying that way. The only thing he cautioned me about was to only lift 10lbs or less. I pray you have a safe delivery. :)
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    This is not really related but since this the message board I'll just ask what I want like everyone usually does........I was in the gym this morning and the TLC channel had the "a baby is born " show on and the lady was pooping the baby into a kiddie pool? I had my head phones on, does anyone know why they were doing this?
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    This is not really related but since this the message board I'll just ask what I want like everyone usually does........I was in the gym this morning and the TLC channel had the "a baby is born " show on and the lady was pooping the baby into a kiddie pool? I had my head phones on, does anyone know why they were doing this?
    I'm guessing ur young or male. Its called a water birth. And in case u didn't no u don't poop a baby out. Not being mean It actually made me lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    collagevideo.com has several pregnancy videos in the "Specialty" section. They provide reviews & video clips.

http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise-videos/pregnancy-exercise-videos-41
  • divasoofly
    divasoofly Posts: 50 Member

Dave, Dave, Dave... Smh, lmao.