Too much water

Options
jaxbeck
jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
Anyone else drink so much water that it made them vomit. Never thought this was possible but it happened to me a few days ago. I was drinking water all day, at least 5 qt. and puked my brains out. Who knew!

Replies

• DanStone
    DanStone Posts: 18
    Options
    Sounds like symptoms of hyper hydration, this can be as bad as dehydration!
  • ipotakis
    ipotakis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    agreed. stay hydrated but definitely not more than recommended. there is actually something as too much water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That's an insane amount of water for someone your size! If you're that thirsty, offset the plain water with things like powerade, gatorade or even one of the flavored waters that has sodium in it. At least that way you're getting some sodium in there to offset the hydration levels.

Urine color is a good indicator - if your pee is clear, you're overhydrated. There should be at least a slight yellow tinge to it.
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    Yep, it was definitely NOT intentional & you can bet I've paid more attention to not endlessly drinking it! That day I just kept refilling my smart water bottle which holds a qt. *slaps head* :blushing:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Be careful about guzzling large amounts of water in a very short period of time, too. I sweat like crazy when I'm working out and I'm a BIG girl, so 6qts over the course of 12-14hrs probably wouldn't affect me that way. However, if you're not very big, and you don't sweat very much, that's definitely way more than you need. I agree with the above posters that there is such a thing as too much, too fast when it comes to water. Your kidneys have to be able to keep up with it.
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    Be careful about guzzling large amounts of water in a very short period of time, too. I sweat like crazy when I'm working out and I'm a BIG girl, so 6qts over the course of 12-14hrs probably wouldn't affect me that way. However, if you're not very big, and you don't sweat very much, that's definitely way more than you need. I agree with the above posters that there is such a thing as too much, too fast when it comes to water. Your kidneys have to be able to keep up with it.

I think that's what happend, I'm at 190 at 6'1'. It was way too much water!
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i drink this much water on a regular basis, as in daily. i don't seem to have a problem with it.