Suggestions for Meeting 2000+ calories in a day

Options
Hi! I have my calorie goal se to ~1600 calories. I take bootcamp classes 5 days a week and burn between 500-800 calories per session (depending if 30 or 45 minutes long). Sometimes I jog over lunch and burn between 400+ calories, and then Iwalk the dogs in the evening and burn another 300-400 calories. I use a heart rate monitor and that gives me the calories burned. My question is what can I eat during the day to reach my calorie goal of 2000+. Sometime it tells me to an additional 1500+ calories (in addition to my 1610). By the time I get home I have dinner and get to 1600 but know I need to eat more back.
Any suggestions? My food diary is open to the public so you should be able to see what I normally eat.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have my calorie goal se to ~1600 calories. I take bootcamp classes 5 days a week and burn between 500-800 calories per session (depending if 30 or 45 minutes long). Sometimes I jog over lunch and burn between 400+ calories, and then Iwalk the dogs in the evening and burn another 300-400 calories. I use a heart rate monitor and that gives me the calories burned. My question is what can I eat during the day to reach my calorie goal of 2000+. Sometime it tells me to an additional 1500+ calories (in addition to my 1610). By the time I get home I have dinner and get to 1600 but know I need to eat more back.
    Any suggestions? My food diary is open to the public so you should be able to see what I normally eat.

I wouldn't eat all of your calories back. MFP is often very low on cals and high on cals burned. Other than that I would try adding some raw nuts or nut butters. They are excellent source of protein and good fats and calories. I would also try adding in avocado. Its higher in cals but still good for you.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, avocado, whey protein with milk, cheese......I have also upped my cals and have had to make sure I was getting all my snacks in to reach my calorie goals. That seemed to help!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I wouldn't eat all of your calories back. MFP is often very low on cals and high on cals burned. Other than that I would try adding some raw nuts or nut butters. They are excellent source of protein and good fats and calories. I would also try adding in avocado. Its higher in cals but still good for you.

She is using her HRM so her calorie burn will be much more accurate.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary. I eat between 2000 and 3000 calories a day. That might help.
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have a HRM and I assumm its sometimes a bit high and don't plan on eating all calories back, but want to make sure to have "enough" to fuel the burn.

Those are all great suggestions...too bad I developed an allergy to avacado :)
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary for a few days. Are you specifically on a low carb regime? You seem to be undershooting there quite a bit on exercise days at least. If not then you could definitely add some more of the healthier ones in there somewhere.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hi Jelica :)

Love that you're fueling your workouts- great plan!

Looked at a few days of your diary and here's what I'd do-

-Add another tbsp of peanut butter to your sammich/apples.
    -Skip egg replacers (unless cholesterol is an issue obvs) and use whole eggs. Three or four scrambled eggs dont take up much room in the tummy but do pack a punch.
    -Add nuts to your salad (1/4 c of walnut halves is 200 cals)
    -Double up on your scoops in your protein shakes
    -Double up on your chicken- 3oz of chicken is tiny. I usually eat 8oz for lunches.
    -Add red meat on your workout days- higher caloric content than chicken. Plus- hey, steak :D

You're doing great and your diary looks wonderful!! Good job! :D
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Try eating more throughout the day when you know you will be working out, as opposed to waiting til the end of the day to try and eat them all back. Eat more calorie dense foods instead of "light" or "diet" foods (i.e. the whole egg instead of egg white, 2% instead of fat free milk), olive oils are great for salad dressings and to cook with, cheese and nuts add a good amount of cals, as do pb and avocados (not together of course). Good luck!
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you're low on Potassium, try eating baked potatoes, skin and all. Good healthy carbs.
  • jelicaa
    Options
    Hi Jelica :)

Love that you're fueling your workouts- great plan!

Looked at a few days of your diary and here's what I'd do-

-Add another tbsp of peanut butter to your sammich/apples.
    -Skip egg replacers (unless cholesterol is an issue obvs) and use whole eggs. Three or four scrambled eggs dont take up much room in the tummy but do pack a punch.
    -Add nuts to your salad (1/4 c of walnut halves is 200 cals)
    -Double up on your scoops in your protein shakes
    -Double up on your chicken- 3oz of chicken is tiny. I usually eat 8oz for lunches.
    -Add red meat on your workout days- higher caloric content than chicken. Plus- hey, steak :D

You're doing great and your diary looks wonderful!! Good job! :D

Thank you! I will certainly take your advice. I've hit a plateau the last few weeks and I see that I'm supposed to fuel my burn! I'm heading to Winco to load up on the nuts and eggs and everything else :)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    What is your weight/height? How much are you hoping to lose? I am very active..almost as much as you...and trying to eat back most of my calories caused me to stall and gain. :-( What has been your story? You look great!
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would eat cheesecake, but you are probably better off ignoring me!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I have to eat around 3500 calories a day on workout days because of my size and weight. Feel free to gander my diary for ideas. The way I usually work it in is I eat approx. every 2 hours, and I have high caloric snacks. I often don't reach the height of my calorie goals BUT I found it a lot easier to eat 200-300 calories every 2 hours than to eat large meals.

When I'm short on calories, I will eat a CLIF bar or almonds. I also will allow some of my richer favorite foods, as long as it doesn't have too harsh a hit.
  • jelicaa
    Options
    What is your weight/height? How much are you hoping to lose? I am very active..almost as much as you...and trying to eat back most of my calories caused me to stall and gain. :-( What has been your story? You look great!

I'm 5'6. last weight (last week) I was 167.4. Goal weight is 155 and then we'll see if there is more. I started bootcamp in November at 181 lbs.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It's not perfect, but feel free to look at my diary! You can also add me as a friend if you'd like :)

Edited to add that I just changed to maintenance calories yesterday, so if you look back it looks like I was leaving lots of calories on the table, but it was because my net was 1500 up until yesterday!
  • jelicaa
    Options
    Looked at your diary for a few days. Are you specifically on a low carb regime? You seem to be undershooting there quite a bit on exercise days at least. If not then you could definitely add some more of the healthier ones in there somewhere.

No, I just don't have a hankering for carbs (breads, pastas, etc.) anymore. I can add more carbs via sweet potatos and squashes I supposed. Any other suggestions?
  • kallinava
    kallinava Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just a quick thought too, I used to wear a heart rate monitor that I got at Wal-Mart...it would say in about an hour of doing a group class at the gym I'd burn around a 1000 calories, not matter what class I did. Now I wear the Core Fit arm band from body media (I wear it all day/night) and I NEVER burn close to a 1000 calories. At most with doing a class and a half so about an hour and a half of vigiours work out I get in about 600 calories. So I'd be careful how much you eat back, but you do need to make sure you have the energy needed to do your boot camp class. Good luck
  • puma1955
    puma1955 Posts: 1
    Options
    you do not need to eat more because you excercise more. You need to stay on the 2000 calories and excercise like you have.. that will take you down a little further. you do need to eat about 5 to six times a day with the light snacks in the middle of breakfast and supper with something light later at night. Not to late before 8 is good. get 8 hours of sleep also.

You body is like a fireplace and you need to keep putting wood/food into it to continue the effect of your body burning fat throughout the day. switch up some snacks between meals. eat Kellogs all protein cereal no sugar and lots of protein. take in a few extra grams of fibre. your doing everything right, just do not eat more cause you excercise more.. your just eliminating everything your working towards... remember Muscle burns fat so some light weights will work wonders also. just do not try and go for the ms universe look..

Good Luck
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    You may want to add some healthy snacks and eat more often. I am assuming that you are just not that hungry. I am like that on cardio class days. You can add olive oil to your meals and get additional calories without feeling full. Nuts might also be good. There are protein bars that are from 200-500 calories each depending on which brands and types you get. Avocados are also good. Beef jerky is also a good protein and the calories add up pretty quickly.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    you do not need to eat more because you excercise more. You need to stay on the 2000 calories and excercise like you have.. that will take you down a little further. you do need to eat about 5 to six times a day with the light snacks in the middle of breakfast and supper with something light later at night. Not to late before 8 is good. get 8 hours of sleep also.

You body is like a fireplace and you need to keep putting wood/food into it to continue the effect of your body burning fat throughout the day. switch up some snacks between meals. eat Kellogs all protein cereal no sugar and lots of protein. take in a few extra grams of fibre. your doing everything right, just do not eat more cause you excercise more.. your just eliminating everything your working towards... remember Muscle burns fat so some light weights will work wonders also. just do not try and go for the ms universe look..

Good Luck

My advice is to ignore most, if not all, of this advice.

Where do women who eat find sanity on MFP? Here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day