Running At lunch

Well Im thinking of starting to incorporate a running routine into my lunch break. So i asked my boss if i could use one of my 15 minute breaks in conjunction with my lunch break to run/stretch etc. Giving me a total of 45 minutes. She looked at me and said do you really want to be the smelly guy at work? My thought and immediate response was, No i want to get healthy and if that bothers people around me they can deal with it. So my question is would you go ahead and Be the "Smelly GUY" and work a routine in the 30 minutes they already have approved me for in my lunch or just not bother with it?

Im working 2 jobs so its either early in the morning or at lunch for a work out monday - friday.

Replies

• jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    I workout on my lunch all the time. I bring deodorant and body spray. What is your job?
  • jenrod1118
    jenrod1118 Posts: 150 Member
    no problem being the smelly person lol. I spent most of last summer doing laps around my parking lot at work. I'm trying to get back in a routine but it seems hard and i haven't been able to accomplish it yet. As long as i have face wipes, spray, and a desk fan i'm good. Good Luck!!
  • aharmeson
    aharmeson Posts: 55
    I workout on my lunch all the time. I bring deodorant and body spray. What is your job?

I Work in human Resources. Mostly sit at a desk all day.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    No reason why you would be smelly after a bit of exercise unless you or your kit are not clean to start with.

Smell comes after a while when the bacteria on your skin and clothing have a bit of fun in the nice warm moist atmosphere you have created for them.

I go for a run at lunchtime and even after a shower and change I'll still be flushed and sweating for a while.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    I run almost every day at lunch.

I have some pretty intense deoderant and I bring babywipes to clean up in the bathroom after. It's an awesome way to squeeze in 4-5 miles. No one has mentioned me being the "smelly gal" at work. Do it without even telling your boss and I doubt she'll notice.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Buy some wipes you can use after your run. I particularly use them after races (5K up to half marathon) and hours later, in clean clothes, and still without a shower, I don't stink. I know because my husband would complain if came home and I did. :wink:

ETA: The ones I'm using are actually a facial wipe but they work really well. They are big enough to do the job and have a light aloe scent, not babyish or girly. They are Kirkland brand from Costco.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member

I Work in human Resources. Mostly sit at a desk all day.

I do to :)... You will be fine. Do you get an hr for lunch? I usually eat part of my lunch before I go exercise and then eat the rest after my lunch. I just go spray some perfume and maybe a baby wipe. WE get an extra 15 min on our lunch if we workout on lunch.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    She looked at me and said do you really want to be the smelly guy at work?

Whoa! I can't believe that this is what she said!

I commend you for getting your workout in and juggling two jobs! Go for it!
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    I'm the smelly girl at work. I found that I love to work out during my work day. It helps eliminate the stress that I deal with on a daily basis and it makes it so much easier to do my job. I don't think I actually smell. My face is usually flushed when I come back and I may be a little sweaty still but I've never noticed an odor other than my pleasant smelling deodorant, so I don't worry about it. Get your run in and enjoy it!
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    If she will let ya do it, GO FOR IT!

Finding time to work out is one of the toughest hurdles to get over.

I have been going to the gym over my lunch hour for 3 years now.
    And while I may be a bit be sweaty when I return to my desk (I'm a dental receptionist),
    I do use body spray to keep smelling fresh.

8)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    We have a running group at work that runs during lunch. They don't shower but they never smell either so I'm sure if you bring sprays and deodorant you'll be o.k.

I've debated running during lunch but my hair gets literally soaked in sweat when I run so I'm concerned about that.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Thats kinda rude, espeically coming from a superior who should be supportive of POSITIVE changes. I run on my lunch everyday. Sometimes I sweat when its hot out- but either way that's what water is for. I spend a few minutes washing up at the sink- throw on some deodorant + body spray and you're set!
    Also, I bring a change of shoes + clothes. Fresh clothes are less likely to "smell".

Do what is good for YOU. If you're working 2 jobs you must be very busy, you deserve to get healthy. And really.... wouldnt you rather be the "hot" guy in the office later on??? I know I would!