Over my protein...again.

Options
I stay within my calories, but I nearly always seem to go over my protein. Is this a problem? I not exactly losing weight in a fast and furious manner so maybe it is a problem....

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Heather

Replies

• HeatherD
    HeatherD Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I stay within my calories, but I nearly always seem to go over my protein. Is this a problem? I not exactly losing weight in a fast and furious manner so maybe it is a problem....

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Heather
  • melelaine
    melelaine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    it's not a problem, as long as you are staying w/in cals and carbs, I always have more protein too. If you are working out, your body needs the extra protein anyway.
  • jreeves1
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem-too much carbs & not enough protein. When trying to stay within 1200 cals a day I don't eat enough protein cause most protein stuff seems to have lots of calories. Any suggestions?
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    CHICKEN!!! (that's it as far as the extent of my suggestion goes... ) :smile:
  • ToTheLove
    Options
    According to what I know, Protein is GOOD!! You need protein to build lean muscle mass, the more lean muscle mass you have, the faster your metabolism is...

What you're probably experiencing is gaining muscle vs losing weight. Muscle weighs more than fat and can tip the scales that way when you start to build it.

Anyway, good luck!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    No, protein isn't a problem, but you do want to make sure you are getting calories from the other sources as well.

As for Jreeves question, there are a lot of sources of lean protein. As one person already suggested chicken, turkey is great, if you haven't tried turkey bacon give that a go, it's very lean and full of protein, low-fat cottage cheese packs tons of protein, high protein cereal bars like southbeach diet ones are great, protein powder, you can add that to pretty much anything, jerky has a lot of protein but you need to watch the fat, sugar and sodium in that, and or course beef, just choose the leaner cuts.
  • jreeves1
    Options
    No, protein isn't a problem, but you do want to make sure you are getting calories from the other sources as well.

As for Jreeves question, there are a lot of sources of lean protein. As one person already suggested chicken, turkey is great, if you haven't tried turkey bacon give that a go, it's very lean and full of protein, low-fat cottage cheese packs tons of protein, high protein cereal bars like southbeach diet ones are great, protein powder, you can add that to pretty much anything, jerky has a lot of protein but you need to watch the fat, sugar and sodium in that, and or course beef, just choose the leaner cuts.
    Thanks! I'll add that to my grocery list...:0)
  • RunningRatty
    Options
    I have the same problem as jreeves1!
  • juliara
    Options
    hello. My opinion is from my experience. If you eat everything whole grain, wheat, brown, FIBER, no sugar, low fat, fat free, etc... everything falls into place. I hardly ever go over carbs it all seems to balance itself out. I do eat most of the time 1500 to 1600 calories a day because the amount of excersise i do. If i work out less i try and not eat the whole 1500 or 1600 calories a day. 1200 calories a day is too little and i strave my body if i exercise too much. Right now i'm watching my eating and slow down the workouts because this birth control is not of my system yet and my body does not react. I just try to stay active 7000 to 10,000 steps per day for now. Hope this helps.