If I"m sick should i ease up on the calorie reduction?

Options
I've had a cold/flu/allergies severely for the last week. I tried going to the gym and ended up feeling a lot worse. I've been to the doctor and am trying some new spring allergy meds, but wondered if I shouldn't keep my calories restricted.

Note : I'm following the MFP calorie guideline of 1,200 a day without exercise. I'm 5 ft 3" & currently weight 139lb.

Anyone found they should ease up when they're ill?

thanks

Replies

• lulubenmom
    lulubenmom Posts: 45
    Options
    I've had a cold/flu/allergies severely for the last week. I tried going to the gym and ended up feeling a lot worse. I've been to the doctor and am trying some new spring allergy meds, but wondered if I shouldn't keep my calories restricted.

Note : I'm following the MFP calorie guideline of 1,200 a day without exercise. I'm 5 ft 3" & currently weight 139lb.

Anyone found they should ease up when they're ill?

thanks
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    In my opinion, allowing maintenance level calories is wise, at least until you recover. Your body requires adequate nutrition to fuel the fight against the bugs, and being on a calorie restricted diet might make it harder for you to fight it off. If you're not hungry, I wouldn't worry about eating more, but if you are, allow yourself the maintenance cals until you get better. Then you can continue on your weight loss journey.

Again, that's just my opinion.
  • helkat922
    helkat922 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was sick a few weeks ago and I never work out when I am sick. I do the same in sticking to my 1200 caloric intake for the day. :happy: