Thai help! Help the clueless eater!

Options
I've never had Thai food before. My friends want to go eat Thai.

Can I get some tips? Any entrees that aren't too bad?

Replies

• Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've never had Thai food before. My friends want to go eat Thai.

Can I get some tips? Any entrees that aren't too bad?
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always get chicken pad thai but only eat half and bring half home. Bean thread dishes aren't too bad either :) A good idea is to eat half and bring half home for tomorrow though whatever you get because some of those dishes can be deceiving!

Also if it's anything related to PF Changs or Pei Wei RUN THE OTHER WAY! Their dishes are extremely high cal.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Thai food is my favorite! I hope you like spicy food, because all good thai food it very deliciously spicy.

If you are trying to stay real low calorie, I'd go for soup. Tom Yum Goong soup is a flavorful golden-broth soup that is spicy and sour that usually has mushrooms, a couple sprigs of cilantro, and tofu (sometimes shrimp).

If you don't mind the extra calories on a night out, I'd suggest Pad Thai Noodles or Drunken Noodles. Pad Thai is a mildly spicy dish with a sweet peanut sauce. Drunken noodles are usually very spicy and served with holy basil.

And of course, there's curry. I like sweet green curry with shrimp. It is the least spicy of the curry dishes. It will probably be a coconut milk-based; coconut milk has over 500 calories a cup...so keep that in mind!

Thai Iced tea is delicious...but high in calories (300+calories a glass). I'd avoid it.

I went out to a really nice Thai place for dinner tonight (Kindee in Minneapolis, if you live close, you should go!). I had Holy Basil w/ Shrimp and Tom Yum Goong Soup. My boyfriend and I split both dishes, it was the perfect portion size.and yummy.
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    if they have summer rolls, those are spring rolls filled with vegetables that are not fried! delicious and healthy!
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    If they have fresh fish - go for the steamed fish (not the fried/crispy) fish - this is real Thai food (I work in Thailand) - and is delicious and good for you.