Terrified of Increasing my Calories

i hit a plateau and i have tried everything but increase y caloric intake. I have been the smallest i ever been in my adult life and im so scared of gaining back all the weight ive lost.

have any of u increased ur caloric intake and lost weight?

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    i hit a plateau and i have tried everything but increase y caloric intake. I have been the smallest i ever been in my adult life and im so scared of gaining back all the weight ive lost.

have any of u increased ur caloric intake and lost weight?

Don't do it for good. Increase it for a few days then go back to normal. Call it a refeed.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    As long as you're not in a calorie surplus you will not gain weight.. in fat anyway. If you're aiming to lose 2 lbs a week then you should definitely bump it up to lose 1 a week.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    I would set my weight loss to either 0.5 or 1lb loss a week, and eat to that to see if that helps at all - if your body gets too use to low calories, it will start storing, thinking there is a shortage
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    As long as you're not in a calorie surplus you will not gain weight.. in fat anyway. If you're aiming to lose 2 lbs a week then you should definitely bump it up to lose 1 a week.

I agree. The smaller you get, the more you need to eat. You will not gain weight (muscle excluded of course) by eating in a calorie deficit, whether you are setting MFP to lose 0.5 lb/week or 2 lb/week.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Have you tried caloric cycling? Instead of sticking to a consistent intake everyday try to fluctuate it. I was strictly at 1,200 calories everyday all the time. 3 weeks ago, after hitting my goal weight, I upped my intake to 1,500 calories. My weight is holding steady. Keep in mind thought that I feel I am putting in the effort to 'earn' those extra 300 calories with my strength and cardio sessions. Your body needs fuel in order to run efficiently. Just eat clean and try to play with your numbers a little bit.
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    I have discovered that increasing my cals really does do the trick. I don't lose at the 1200 range, but at 1400 to 1500 the weight comes off. Try it for two weeks and see what happens. It's not like increasing it by a couple hundred is going to make you suddenly gain 100lbs. You will be fine.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Im having the same problem. Maybe ill switch my setting to 1 lb per week. its just hard mentally to eat more at this point.
  • i was working out for 90 minutes for 7 days a week and eating roughly 1350 calories. im just so frustrated
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    i was working out for 90 minutes for 7 days a week and eating roughly 1350 calories. im just so frustrated

Well that's your problem right there. If you're going to be working out that much the least yo can do is eat back your exercise calories. Doing this to yourself, a plateau is to be expected. I really recommend a day of rest. It's not necessary to do that every single day. Still, I would definitely increase your calories to about 1500 or so.
  • thats what myfitnesspal said when i changed some things in my profile. it put me at 1550 or so calories

i hope it works