How to overcome Night time snacking?

Options
How did you overcome it? Was it a slow process, it seems like when I can't sleep :yawn: that's all I think about is something to snack on :grumble:

Replies

• 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My best way of overcoming it was either to get myself in an activity where food wasn't available (like going to the gym, or out somewhere), or simply going to bed earlier after eating dinner.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I brush my teeth. That curbs it for me, usually. It's like a signal to my body that once I brush my teeth, eating is done for the day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I usually save most of my calories for late night, allowing me to eat big meals before bed and/or snack at night without going over my total daily calorie limit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    I usually save most of my calories for late night, allowing me to eat big meals before bed and/or snack at night without going over my total daily calorie limit.

This is what I do. I make sure I have a bunch of calories available for eating in the evening, and I eat a good meal usually no more than 1-2 hours before bed. Sometimes just before bed. I sleep better with a full stomach, and don't wake up wanting to eat. I eat something that will stick with me that is higher in protein and fibre.
  • lucylu254
    Options
    Suck on a mint or chew some gum
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i have the same issues! to curb it, i usually brush my teeth like someone else said, or whiten them. i used to go to the gym, but i live too far away from one now.
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    the only thing for me that works is to go upstairs brush my teeth and stay in the bedroom (far away from the kitchen)
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm a night time binge eater, so to deal with those evening cravings I:

1. Got rid of all the food I like to eat at night, this was basically all junk food. ( cereal, ice cream, candy, etc.)

2. For the first while I let myself binge eat things like strawberries, bananas, almonds, apples, etc.

4. I too save calories for end of day meals. My last meal of the day is always my largest.

5. I now go to bed with my kids lol. Eight o'clock, and you will find me tucked away haha.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I save calories from the day and snack till I go to bed. It's the way I always ate. I'm not hungry during the day so I ain't eating. Everyone is different that's why most diets don't work, you have to do what works for you.
  • sciencenerd2011
    Options

This is what I do. I make sure I have a bunch of calories available for eating in the evening, and I eat a good meal usually no more than 1-2 hours before bed. Sometimes just before bed. I sleep better with a full stomach, and don't wake up wanting to eat. I eat something that will stick with me that is higher in protein and fibre.

Me too. I save the bulk of my calories for after work/dinner. It works out great!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i just go to bed and read,,,, ha
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I still get the munches, but I binge on pre-cut veggies or fruit. Occasionally, I will chow on a handful of shredded wheat and water.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It has always been a big problem for me, and I'll admit I'm always scared I'll slip back into the habit. This is what I do:

I allow myself one day a week for snacks, this includes an evening snack
    I got rid of all of my "trigger foods"
    When I feel the urge, I take a shower and drink some water.
    If I *still* feel it, I go to bed, some nights that's 8:30pm :laugh:
    If for some reason I can't go to bed yet, I have 6oz of warmed milk with sugar free raspberry syrup.

I find with me, if I can keep my evening eating-that-always-turns-into-binging in control I am more successful with my weight loss.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    This is hard... Me I get the urge sometimes and often I'll just go to bed or try to find something involved that will help keep my mind off of it. Don't watch the Food Network either. For me, as a last ditch effort to keep it under control I'll cut-up a couple slices of a cucumber and eat that. Four or five slices of a cucumber is virtually nothing and usually enough to satisfy any urges. Sometimes I may dip it in a balsamic vinegar. LOL