Question about CV

Options
Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
Since jogging my CV has improved a lot... Now when I do my other work outs like Tae bo, 30 day shred, biking, walking fast... it feels like im doing nothing... On my bike my legs will be so sore before im out of breath... Does this mean now I have to work twice as hard to get my heart pumping to burn cals??

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Options
    Since jogging my CV has improved a lot... Now when I do my other work outs like Tae bo, 30 day shred, biking, walking fast... it feels like im doing nothing... On my bike my legs will be so sore before im out of breath... Does this mean now I have to work twice as hard to get my heart pumping to burn cals??
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Anyone know? :laugh:
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    No one??
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    IMHO riding a bike shouldn't raise your heart rate that high unless you're doing big hills/mountain climbs, or sprints. Usually I aim to get to my target heart rate, and then just keep the same cadence. It makes a nice, low impact workout that I can keep going for hours. That's why I'll burn 1600 calories on a single 2 hour ride ... almost half a pound (not all fat, but usually around 45-50%). Granted a cyclocomputer and heart rate monitor make it tons easier :)

Burning big calories doesn't have to feel like burning big calories... that's why god gave man bikes :laugh:

Kudos on cross training btw, I've noticed a massive increase in biking endurance since I started the c25k program, and I can't wait to see how it'll be once I'm done.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

For those who can handle the pounding, jogging/running is one of the most effective ways to increase your cardiovascular fitness. If you have been jogging for awhile, there are two factors that will affect your HR response to other activities.

Your maximum level of cardio fitness has increased, so activities you were doing may now be easier. Walking "fast" (4.0mph-4.5 mph) is actually fairly moderate intensity. If you are running, walking fast will probably no longer get your heart rate up to a training level. At 4.0-4.2 mph on the treadmill, my HR does not go above 100.

For activities like stationary cycling (and sometimes spinning), the activity itself will limit how hard you can work. Cycling uses a relatively small amount of muscle mass in a smaller motion compared to running. If you are less trained at cycling, most likely you will experience localized muscle fatigue before you can get your heart rate up--in other words, your can do more cardiovascular work than your muscles can handle. If you put enough time and effort into it, you could develop the strength and endurance to push enough resistance on a bike to get your heart rate up higher, but if you just do it occasionally, chances are you will still get a low HR.

Outside cycling is a different story, primarily because of wind resistance.

It's similar with tae-bo, but familiarity with the movements may also be a factor.

Running may not be the best exercise for strength, flexibility, or coordination, but it will increase your cardiovascular fitness better than just about anything else.
  • Carrie6o6
    Options
    Thank you two for your responses! :bigsmile:

Msarro, at first I started the c25k program but then stopped. Now I just jog.. Not sure why though... Nothing too fun about it hahaha