Nutrition pet peeves

Options
jaxbeck
jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
What are some things that other people say/believe about nutrition that really annoys you. :angry:

--It's organic so it's better for you.
--Not always! I've seen organic food items that had MORE calories & fat then my brand!

--That's a lot of food you're eating
--Yes dummy, when you eat healthy, you have to eat a lot of natural foods (IE: veggies) to stay sustained

I'll think of some more ;)

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    People that care about what other people say/believe about nutrition
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    "It's OK its fat free"
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    "It's OK its fat free"

Fat free= more sugar! I try to explain this to so many folks, they just dont get it!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    --Not always! I've seen organic food items that had MORE calories & fat then my brand!
    Since when does organic imply anything about the calories or fat of a given item? :huh:
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    People that think low calorie & low fat is the only measure of healthy :huh:
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    Since when does organic imply anything about the calories or fat of a given item? :huh:

The person making the STATEMENT said it! lol
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    People that think all carbs are bad for you :huh:

People that think fruit is bad for you because of the sugar
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad.

No, they're not. Complex carbs are good for you. And simple carbs can be good for the soul :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know more about nutrition than scientists and doctors. Let me show you my abs and prove it.
  • jaxbeck
    Options
    Carbs are bad.

No, they're not. Complex carbs are good for you. And simple carbs can be good for the soul :wink:

*thumbs up*
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    One peeve is that "gluten free" is working it's way into synonymy with "better for you". I mean when I see this on a bottle of tea (TEA FFS it's just leaves and water!) this has gone too far. There's a point to helping people deal with celiac disease but. . .

Yeah.
  • cdmeyer
    cdmeyer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree, marshmellows, jelly beans, sweet tarts, gummy bears all fat free but tons of calories
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    People that think low calorie & low fat is the only measure of healthy :huh:
    This. Olive oil and coconut oil are incredibly healthy, and also incredibly high in calories and fat. If you have to eat "tons of food" to stay sustained, you aren't really eating all that healthy.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    People that think gluten free is a health food. It's ridiculous and a great example of how people don't educate themselves. If someone says something is good because its gluten free, I ask them what gluten is. They usually think its some sort of sugar (perhaps because it sounds like glucose?). No. It's a protein composite that people with celiac disease have a negative reaction to because they have an autoimmune disorder.

More information on my blog: http://thescienceofcooking.tumblr.com/post/3695926357
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    "I only eat low/non fat (insert food here)"

Honey, stfu.
  • Emabo
    Emabo Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "I only eat low/non fat (insert food here)"

Honey, stfu.

THIS. Or when you offer somebody something HEALTHY and they something like "Sorry but that has almost 300 calories.."
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Lol. I know, right? Organic is most definitely better for you since the food or ingredients (if it's a processed food) are grown without pesticides. Meat and dairy from organic animals is better because it isn't full of hormones and antibiotics, and is fed organic feed.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    It's fat free! <- My wife says this. She looks at fat, all fat, as bad and believes she should have zero fat in her diet. I've told her a gazillion times the body needs fat. You don't eat fat and it instantly get absorbed into your thighs ... trust me!
  • jennapony
    jennapony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When I am drinking a diet coke and my friends say "you know aspartame is bad for you"
    Yeah . . . so is 40 mg of refined sugar
    Let me drink my damn coke:drinker: :drinker:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    When peeps discriminate foods like avacados for their high fat content. MUFAs are awesome. "OMG! You ate that whole avacado! Isn't that like soooo fattening!"