I HATE being hungry

Options
I think my problem (with the whole diet thing) is I hate the feeling of being hungry. I get really irritable, can't think straight, and I tend to get hypoglycemic easily too. When I start to feel hungry I'm anxious and can only think about food. Then I start to nibble and all that grazing calories adds up.
I've added protein, decreased carbs, and drink tons of water. I almost always eat my exercise calories back; heck that is part of the reason I exercise!
What do you do?

Replies

• MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating this way? I also am doing the low carb but steady protein thing. I found that after the 3rd day, I wasn't hungry anymore. And the carb cravings went away by the end of the second week.
  • LadyPriest
    Options
    When you feel that you are hungry drink a tall glass of water. If you still have the urge to eat then eat 2 servings of Protien and 2 servings of veggies followed by a fruit and tall glass of water. This will sustain you and you will be fuller longer!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week did you tell MFP you want to lose? If you did what most of us do at first and try for 2# a week, you need to change it. You're actually close enough to your goal weight where you should only be trying for a 0.5#/week loss. That will up your net calories.

If you have hypoglycemia, you may need to cut your carbs a bit more. At the very least, be sure to eat protein along with any carbs you eat as that will help stabilize you. Most on here believe that the protein settings at MFP are too low so it won't hurt you if you go over the pre-set protein recommendation. And protein is also satiating.

Also, the food choices you make might be causing hunger as well. Unprocessed foods tend to be more satiating. If you're eating a lot of processed/packaged foods, that might be part of your problem.

Oh, with hypoglycemia, 5-6 small meals daily should work better for you than a couple larger ones as by ingesting less at a time, your body doesn't need to dump as much insulin into your system so there's less change of a blood sugar crash.

Hope some of this helps.
  • islaybower
    Options
    have you read anything about getting your metabolism/hormones under control? I understand that people who've dieted a lot sometimes have slightly mixed messages going on in their bodies about hunger and being full.

I've just read Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels, but I'm sure there are plenty of online articles in the same vein that might give you some info?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week did you tell MFP you want to lose? If you did what most of us do at first and try for 2# a week, you need to change it. You're actually close enough to your goal weight where you should only be trying for a 0.5#/week loss. That will up your net calories.

This.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How about adding fats? Healthy fats are good for you! Don't avoid them. And they keep you fuller, longer.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I might have missed it, but how many calories a day are you on?
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I might have missed it, but how many calories a day are you on?

CW 154
    Calories 1200 plus exercise calories
    I have been hypoglycemic since a teenager and always eat 5-6 times a day (small meals) and never skip breakfast.
    I am an LPN and have taken basic nutrition classes and now what I should eat. I try for protein and fresh veggies, fish at least once a week.
    I just hate feeling hungry and then at night I tend to snack.
  • MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went on a 10 day juice fast and after that, I appreciate food so much more. I have even gotten to the point where I like having just a little hunger in my tummy throughout the day. Don't think of it as deprivation, think of what good things you are doing for yourself in the long run! It really is all mental.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    I have days like that and it drives me insane! I hate feeling hungry and once it starts it takes more to satisfy me. I tried the Full Bars today and did very well with them may want to give that a try. Its basically fiber so it fills you up and takes longer to digest. I also find that the right fats will satisfy me before protein, veggies, or fruit will. Hope you find the right answer for you.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat products stick with me for a long time-whole wheat pasta, bread, pancakes...

I'm also always sipping on hot tea or coffee with a dash of half and half.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I hate being hungry too. I am certain I ate more than I burned today, but not every day is like this, so I'm not going to feel bad about it. I refuse to be hungry for more than an hour or so, because my metabolism gets messed up if I don't just give in and eat.
  • sugarbelle83
    sugarbelle83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im not really sure what to tell you, but I do know that I always feel hungry!!! I think its because I use to just eat so much that now i just have to control it enough and eventually my body will get use to not eating so much!!! Not sure but I know what you mean...I try to do things to keep me busy so I dont think about it, then the urge to eat will subside! Good luck!!!
  • heatmack
    heatmack Posts: 29
    Options
    I think you are eating too little calories. Calculate your BMR, I'm sure 1200 calories is under it. Try eating just a little over your BMR and your excersize calories and I'm sure you will still lose. M

I'm a RN and work 12 hour shifts, I can't eat the 1200 calories and feel full, my BMR is 1370 so I'm eating 1450 and still losing :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

This.

That. :happy:

If your not satisfied with what you're eating, something is wrong somewhere. I was only hungry at mealtime, and I had steady progress.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from because I'm the same way. I find that, like previous posters on this thread, I feel fuller for a longer period of time if I eat high fiber foods with healthy fats. When I'm really hungry I'll eat half an avocado with a tiny dash of salt and that helps soooo much it's crazy.
  • BLSBoyer
    BLSBoyer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There is a diet plan (really it's a lifestyle change) for people like you, I am on and have lost 32 pounds so far, I eat right around my calories (without exercise) each day and am never hungry! I eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, and at the end of the night I usually have plenty of calories left over for a tall glass of chocolate milk and an apple or a small bag of 100 calorie cookies (I'm a chocolate addict). It has taken time but my body has really adjusted to the change and now I am more in tune with when I need to eat and I have reset my metabolism to burn what I am eating faster instead of storing it. There are days when I crave food that is bad for me like pizza, but with the change in the portions of what I am eating - I don't feel guilt for eating it and I still stay right around my calories.

17816880.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too little calories. Calculate your BMR, I'm sure 1200 calories is under it. Try eating just a little over your BMR and your excersize calories and I'm sure you will still lose. M

I'm a RN and work 12 hour shifts, I can't eat the 1200 calories and feel full, my BMR is 1370 so I'm eating 1450 and still losing :)

This!! You probably aren't eating enough. It's very important that you eat at least your BMR. Your body needs that many calories to function properly.
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think my problem (with the whole diet thing) is I hate the feeling of being hungry. I get really irritable, can't think straight, and I tend to get hypoglycemic easily too. When I start to feel hungry I'm anxious and can only think about food. Then I start to nibble and all that grazing calories adds up.
    I've added protein, decreased carbs, and drink tons of water. I almost always eat my exercise calories back; heck that is part of the reason I exercise!
    What do you do?

Find some healthy snacks to supplement your cravings or grumpy hungerness. Some of my favorites are:
    - Special K cracker chips (salt, sour cream & onion, ranch, or cheddar flavor)
    - no sugar added fudgesicles (only 40 calories)
    - veggies/ salad with spritzer salad dressing (only 1 or 2 calorie per spritz so it's good for people like me who like the taste of salad dressing more then the taste of the veggies)
    - soup
    - white cheddar rice cakes
    - oranges (only 70 calories each!)

Also, it helps me to eat breakfast/ lunch as smaller meals (200-300 calories each) so that I can eat a "normal" dinner of pretty much anything I'm craving. I hate feeling like I am missing out on the joys of food when I have to watch what every single meal consists of.

Also, if you have time don't feel bad about having a little snack and going over 100-200 calories and then just doing a little exercise to make up for it. If I'm still hungry at night I'll have a little snack and then run in place while watching TV to make up for it :)