Elliptical vs. Running

Options
I started running about 6 months ago and found that I loved it! With crazy Spring Texas weather, it's not as easy to do as it was through the winter. Too, I was beginning to have a little achy knee. So, I joined the gym and rediscovered the elliptical. I realized that it has a Distance ticker on it and I figured out that I am still averaging 10:30-10:45 minutes per mile for 3 or 4 miles, which was my outdoor run speed on a very hilly road.

If I continue with the elliptical, is my body going to be able to maintain stamina for actually running when I want to or should I still throw in some dreadmill or street runs occassionally so that I don't lose that ability?

How does the elliptical training compare to running?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I can go on the elliptical all day long until I get bored (which is usually 15 minutes into it lol), but with running my legs usually give out.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For me personally, it really doesn't, but I suspect that everyone differs on this. I have done elliptical for years, I can generally hop on and get a good workout and last for 40+ minutes. I can run for maybe MAYBE 5 minutes straight and that at a pretty low speed.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think the elliptical does a lot of the work for you, which is why it is easier. Try to run early in the day or under tree cover if there is an area that is wooded. I find that helps in the heat of summer here in Georgia.